UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: Let's Take Kristi Camping! 18-20 September

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:17 am

As I get gear together a couple of questions/need for clarification come to mind. Some for me, some may apply to others…

Water - pack in what's needed or expect options for filtering?

Cell phone coverage - good, spotty, leave in the car?

Wardrobe/camp site selection - Hunter rules or anything we want until 9/26?

Burn ban - NFS status not always the same as counties, are we in stove mode or is wood burning still an option? Campfire?

ETA? I'm shooting for 4 ish so close to Ksbcrocks and Sarge if traffic cooperates early. Others?

Food - unless I missed a message, we're all on our own, right?

Critters - debating on inaugural back country hang with my pup. How many others plan on bringing dogs?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:09 am

UncleMJM wrote:As I get gear together a couple of questions/need for clarification come to mind. Some for me, some may apply to others…Water - pack in what's needed or expect options for filtering?
I intend to do both. I'll be filtering out of Little Lake Creek on the way to Korean Pond as break time and instruction for Kristi. While folks have filtered at Korean Pond, I don't. I don't know what the previous human activity there was and I've never seen any frogs or heard any croaking there. The absence of aquatic life give me trepidation--

If cody's route takes him thru the Saturday Campsite (so called "Korean Pond") at the intersection of the Sand Branch and Little Lake Creek Loop and he wants to unburden himself of some water at that location, I don't think anyone will complain.
UncleMJM wrote:Cell phone coverage - good, spotty, leave in the car?
Tollable.
UncleMJM wrote:Wardrobe/camp site selection - Hunter rules or anything we want until 9/26?
I'll be going with belts and suspenders and wearing the orange.
UncleMJM wrote:Burn ban - NFS status not always the same as counties, are we in stove mode or is wood burning still an option? Campfire?
Since this is a practice run for Hiker's Thanksgiving, will recommend canister stoves, but SYOS (Stove Your Own Stove)
UncleMJM wrote:ETA? I'm shooting for 4 ish so close to Ksbcrocks and Sarge if traffic cooperates early. Others?
I'm meeting Kristi at 1400 and my drive time should match yours. We may or may not arrive at the same time. I know a short cut to the campsite if you want to wait for me or if you want me to wait.
UncleMJM wrote:Food - unless I missed a message, we're all on our own, right?
FYOF (Food Your Own Food)
UncleMJM wrote:Critters - debating on inaugural back country hang with my pup. How many others plan on bringing dogs?
Kristi is bringing Boots, Lil Bit will be testing out her new leash and harness, not sure if Faith will be there or not, but I'd venture to guess that the canine population would be somewhat elevated on this one.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Sarge, you cheating and taking the fire road to the hunters camp near pl4? Faith will be there, and I filtered Korean pond last December and I am still here
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Scuba wrote:Sarge, you cheating and taking the fire road to the hunters camp near pl4? Faith will be there, and I filtered Korean pond last December and I am still here
Yah. Its the first exercise in map reading skills and I'm doing a "You Can Get There From Here" video so that it can be used as a "Get there after dark Friday night hike" route. I wanted to do one on how to get to the little pond off FS211A as well, but won't have the time.

Which reminds me:

Folks who arrive at PL#4 during daylight, could you park along the side of the lot closest to the road? GoSpidey will be getting in after dark and the entrance to PL#4 is hard to see at night (ask me how I know). I'm thinking if we have headlights and windshields to reflect headlights coming down the road it might be enough.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:58 pm

are we allowed to park on the side of the lot closest to the road? If so, I will do it.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:33 pm

Wel---there ain't no stripes nowhere-----
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Starting to get gear together. Anyone need anything? Tarp, hammock, insulation, poles, cordage? Anything?

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:52 am

Well I was planning on bringing one of my folks' vehicles this weekend, but that's not actually going to work out. My truck still has 6 seat-belts, but it won't fit more than 4 comfortably, and that's with two people being pretty flexible. Taking a few back over to TH#4 to get another vehicle to get the rest will still work though.

Sarge, which trails are we planning on traveling Saturday and Sunday? I'd rather not be backtracking from my Friday evening hike in. Looks like taking the North Wilderness Trail tomorrow evening would be a good way to avoid that.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Ksbcrocks wrote:Well I was planning on bringing one of my folks' vehicles this weekend, but that's not actually going to work out. My truck still has 6 seat-belts, but it won't fit more than 4 comfortably, and that's with two people being pretty flexible. Taking a few back over to TH#4 to get another vehicle to get the rest will still work though.

Sarge, which trails are we planning on traveling Saturday and Sunday? I'd rather not be backtracking from my Friday evening hike in. Looks like taking the North Wilderness Trail tomorrow evening would be a good way to avoid that.
Yah.

The North Wilderness is probably the shortest route for a Friday PM hike from PL#2 and the one that would result in the least amount of backtracking.

I plan on taking the LLCL out of the campsite Saturday morning, then the short 2 1/2 mile Sand Branch to LST trip to PL#2 on Sunday morning.

I've never done the southern arm of the LLCL, mainly because its wet when I get out in Spring and the restrictions on camping during Deer Season before they came up with the "approved" sites. It also looks like a better route for getting filterable water while on trail.
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm considering parking area 2 also on Friday then hiking with the group then back out to it on Saturday when I need to leave. Or I may get lazy with the forecasted temps and just do in in and back from lot 4. I'll post or text when I know for sure Friday.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Yah-

Its going to be hot, and likely no relief in the form of rain, although this is Houston and it rains somewhere around 1500 every day. Figure your water accordingly.

Still, the night time temps are forecast for a low of 70---I always seem to need a UQ in those temps.
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Dang.

Its hard to pack without the dog noticing.

I think she knows something is up.

Well,

I'm at the point where all I need to do is toss it in the car. Which means I probably forgot something.

Remember Sarge's First Rule Of Camping: Setting up camp is when you find out what you forgot.
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Somehow packing my gear led to me sewing up a new hammock. And lucky me, my new Ohm 2.0 came in today :)

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:59 am

UncleMJM wrote:I'm considering parking area 2 also on Friday then hiking with the group then back out to it on Saturday when I need to leave. Or I may get lazy with the forecasted temps and just do in in and back from lot 4. I'll post or text when I know for sure Friday.
FWIW I'm opting for laziness. My red truck will be at PL4 sometime after 1 and likely prior to 3:30.

Also, in the spirit of laziness the canine critter's first group outing will be another day.

To keep consistent, I'm planning the most boring menu ever.

No, my enthusiasm is not underwhelming, I'm just keeping it simple. 8-)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:15 am

Note to self: Pack something to make Uncle Mike's trip more interesting.

Firecrackers, rubber snakes, stuff like that----
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Texas Wilderness Ministry”