Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

What is a "Texas Wilderness Ministry"?

Post by Zort » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:23 pm

It seems to me that there are two types of people at the Texas hangs. Those who are part of the Texas Wilderness Ministry, and those who aren't. As a member of the second group, I'm going to ask the question that I'm sure others ( myself included) have, but may be too timid to ask for fear of people showing up at our hammocks early Saturday morning with various pamphlets detailing the glory that is whoopie slings or the power of the almighty Dutch hook. ( sorry to every English teacher I've ever had for that run on sentence).

So the question...

What is a Texas Wilderness Ministry?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Never put off until tomorrow, what you can get someone else to do for you today.

My Youtube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: What is a

Post by sarge » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:16 am

The most simple explanation is that we're a group of folks who go into the woods and talk about God and our Faith. Its a loosely organized, non-denominational, fully inclusive of any Faith tradition (even non-beleivers) bunch of folks who believe that modeling Christ is a better way to bring people to Him than waving tracts, loudly proselytizing, or extreme judgementalism. No sermons, no singing Kumbaya, no ceremonies or membership requirements.

But you will hear people talk about God.

In many ways, its simply a way to give Believers a safe place to talk about God and their Faith without other people asking them not to. If you come out on a Ministry trip, you know ahead of time that somebody is going to talk about God.

Its based on the principal that the Bible describes a God who uses the Wilderness as his classroom. Most trips do have a "theme", but its not going to be 48 hours of religious teaching. We're hikers, not monks. We'll sit around the campfire and talk about everything one can expect to hear around a campfire, but God and the Faith experiences of the folks sitting there are going to be included in the conversation, as will anything that they feel God taught them in the Wilderness that day.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

PREACHER
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PREACHER » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Great question, great answer.

Come on out and be a part of it if you would like!

Treesleeper
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Treesleeper » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:39 am

PREACHER wrote:Great question, great answer.

Come on out and be a part of it if you would like!
Preacher, it was great meeting you and your mom at the TX Fall Hang. I had a great conversation with you in line at the pot-luck.
I'm definitely going to try to get my boys and I out to one of the TWM groups sometime soon.
"We love because he first loved us." 1 John 4:19

Matthew2000tx
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Matthew2000tx » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 am

Sounds good. Let me know when and where the next TWM is going to be and I'll try to make it.
<>< Matthew R. <><
K5NON
Bike4Heck.com
Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Return to “Texas Wilderness Ministry”