Butt Bake Pre- Hike June 17-19

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Butt Bake Pre- Hike June 17-19

Post by sarge » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:09 am

Tyler wrote:I'm interested, just gotta pin down logistics. Do I understand correctly that everybody will be at parking lot 8 from Friday pm until time to head out Saturday morning?
That's correct.

We will be absconding from the premises as close to dawn as possible so that we're hiking during the coolest part of the day, with a possibility of a siesta in the woods for a couple hours sometime around 1400, then heading to an overnight spot sometime after everybody wakes up from that and has dinner.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Tyler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Tyler » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Cool, provided the weather for sat is halfway decent I'm in. I'm down for a dryish hike after very little sleep but I'm not signing up for a sodden slog on a 2hr nap. Just remember to make some noise in the direction of the guy who set up well away from everyone because he got there at a very indecent hour.

Rick TDBT
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Rick TDBT » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:30 pm

I might join you on this one, just in case I don't make the butt bake. And I need he exercise..
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:43 pm

Tyler wrote:Cool, provided the weather for sat is halfway decent I'm in. I'm down for a dryish hike after very little sleep but I'm not signing up for a sodden slog on a 2hr nap. Just remember to make some noise in the direction of the guy who set up well away from everyone because he got there at a very indecent hour.
Will do.

Can't guarantee the trail conditions, but we will end up doing about 8 miles for the day. The 2 hour nap around 1400 is a must do in the heat though. Some of us would end up a puddle in the trail.

General plan is to leave PL8 between 0800 and 0900, Niederhoffer for lunch, dawdle a bit there while doing the nom nom thing, hike around the lake on the Tract boundary, filter and fill at the lake, head towards the Hunter camp at mile 51.5 and do the siesta during that part of the hike. We'll see if we can stage a vehicle at the parking area near there so gthe walk back on Sunday isn't the whole 6 miles in one push.
Rick TDBT wrote:I might join you on this one, just in case I don't make the butt bake. And I need he exercise..
Would be great to have you. With staging that vehicle, we can put our supper and overnight stuff in it to lighten our load.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Tyler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Tyler » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:30 pm

8 or 9!? I get twice the nap I thought, I'm in! I had sunrise figured to be @ 6 or 7.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Tyler wrote:8 or 9!? I get twice the nap I thought, I'm in! I had sunrise figured to be @ 6 or 7.
I'm factoring in time to get the vehicle staged near the Saturday night campsite.

And that extra cup of coffee I always seem to need----
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:32 pm

OK--

Here's the Weather forecasts, now that all three are brave enough to tell us what they think.

The service I like the most is Weather Underground because it has a sliding bar that lets you know the forecast conditions for any time during the day. It says that on Saturday temps will rise from a low of 75 at 0600 to a high of 92 at 1600. They call for 15% chance of rain at around 1300. Unfortunately, the don't give humidity or heat index forecasts, and that info is critical:

https://www.wunderground.com/us/tx/new-waverly?MR=1

Accuweather is close with a forecast low of 72 and a high of 72 with a higher chance of rain (40%) and a heat index a brutal 116 degrees:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-wa ... 0371?day=6

The Weather Channel gives similar highs, lows and rain chances, no heat index, but shows a humidity level of 67% during the day and a whopping 80% Saturday night, which explains Accuweather's brutal heat index:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Ne ... 77358:4:US

So.

The original plan was to shoot for 8 or so miles on Saturday, with a rest at Neiderhoffer, followed by a hike around the perimeter, followed by a long siesta and a three or so mile hike to the sleeping destination at mile 51.5.

The numbers look like this:

6.5 trail miles on LST plus about 2 miles total walking off trail to and around Niederhoffer and back to the trail. Its 4.2 miles from PL #8 to the lake, so we'd be about 2/3 of the way once we finish the circuit.

Looking at the heat index given by Accuweather and the fact that TWC shows humidity actually increasing into the night, I think we might be wise to modify our plans somewhat and make camp after we've finished the circuit of the lake and hike back to PL#8 Sunday morning, or alternatively, on to the parking area on FS206 where the trail crosses it.

If there's no other campers at the lake (and who's crazy enough to go camping in this kind of weather, huh?), we could camp there, take a swim, and hike 4 miles back early AM Sunday. If the site is occupied, we could hike back to Boswell Creek and camp close to it so we'd have a ready water source for filtering (but maybe more skeeters).

What do you guys think?
My You Tube Channel

Rick TDBT
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Rick TDBT » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:00 pm

I am good with what ever you want I am easy..

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Butt Bake Pre- Hike June 17-19

Post by Flynguy521 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:46 pm

I'm game for whatever you decide.

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds[emoji927]
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Tyler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Tyler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm still in, a weekend out is a weekend out.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:47 pm

We might get you out of the fart sack a bit earlier than I said a few days ago, Tyler.

But you'll have a longer nap in the afternoon to make up for it.

If we can cut out while the temps are still in the 70's we should make the lake well before noon and be able to swing 'twixt the trees by the time its blazing hot.
My You Tube Channel

Rick TDBT
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Rick TDBT » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:55 am

sarge wrote:We might get you out of the fart sack a bit earlier than I said a few days ago, Tyler.

But you'll have a longer nap in the afternoon to make up for it.

If we can cut out while the temps are still in the 70's we should make the lake well before noon and be able to swing 'twixt the trees by the time its blazing hot.
This sounds good to me, even leaving before the sun even comes out would be good. I own a head lamp.. ;)

Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Zort » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Yep, it's gonna be hot. At least we won't have to carry all those insulation layers. Looks like we might get a little rain on the hike out Sunday morning.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can get someone else to do for you today.

My Youtube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey guys;

It occurs to me that as hot as it is, the lake might be unreserved at this time. I'm gonna call the HQ in the morning to see if its open. If it is, will one of you be able to swing by on Thrusday or early on Friday to see if it still is open and sign it out?
My You Tube Channel

Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Zort » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:11 pm

I'm gonna be in class till noon Friday. Not sure if anyone was going to be out there Friday morning.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can get someone else to do for you today.

My Youtube Channel

Return to “Texas Trips”