Fifth Annual Texas Butt Bake - Sponsored by Dream Hammock and HammockHangers.net

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Fifth Annual Texas Butt Bake - Sponsored by Dream Hammock and HammockHangers.net

Post by Scuba » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Walker County is currently NOT under a burn ban.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Fifth Annual Texas Butt Bake - Sponsored by Dream Hammock and HammockHangers.net

Post by Scuba » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:54 pm

This just in!!

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Details of the Hammocks.

11ft Roaming Gnome Double layer in CUSTOM HH.net camo and 1.1oz ripstop inner layer. Has UQ and pack hooks, a ridgeline and RL organizer, and the netting appears to be Olive. Comes with Cinch Buckle suspension (black buckles) and 15 ft tree straps.Complete weight (hammock/suspension/sack) is 32.3oz

2nd Hammock is an 11ft Freebird (single layer) in CUSTOM HH.net camo. Has Ridgeline and RL organizer. Comes with Whoopie suspension including toggles and tree straps. Complete weight (hammock/suspension/sack) is 16.6oz

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:04 pm

SWEET!

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Scuba wrote:Walker County is currently NOT under a burn ban.
Even if the county comes under a burn ban, where we are going to be may not be affected. National Forests, as Federal Lands, are not subject to county bans although they may choose to follow them. The best bet is to check with the forest service if a ban kicks in to see if it applies.

This is not the same case with Texas State Parks, they do adhere to the county bans.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:16 pm

OK;

A week from today we'll be licking our wounds, sticking to our stories, and for some of us, giving the family assurances that you're not going to jump bail.

The weather guessers all agree:

Its going to be HOT. It will be so hot that Jehova's Witnesses will be telemarketing. Its going to be as hot as a three dollar pistol. Its going to be hotter than Hillary Clinton's server the night before the supeonas were delivered.

HOT.

Butt Bake Hot.

Accuweather says not quite three digits ambient, but around 106 heat index, no real chance of rain.

The Weather Channel goes over the three digit threshold,and gives humidity numbers that make Accuweather's heat index beleivable.

Weather Underground is my favorite b/c it has that little scroll graph that lets you see what the conditions are going to be for any given hour. It basically shows mornings of around 76, with the temps shooting up about 20-25 degrees in 11 hours, or a little more than two degrees per hour.

Basic Plan Of The Day:

Hike in the morning
Swim in the afternoon
Nap 'til supper.

Tough work, but I think we're up to it.

I'm leaving the house at 0-dark thirty Thursday. I will post here when I leave, and it should take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the trip. I will call Tom when I get to New Waverly (Tom, please send me your number to make sure I have the right one).

I've got some video I'd like to shoot and am looking for volunteers willing to debase themselves for the sake of art.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Zort » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:21 pm

Found one more weather forecast.

https://youtu.be/qXdmTtk1Mm4

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can get someone else to do for you today.

My Youtube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:07 am

210 488 5029

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:19 pm

I have to be at work until noon on Thursday, but plan to hit the road soon after. My goal is to get to the Lake with a truck load of food, gear, and iron by 3:30.

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:30 pm

UncleMJM wrote:I have to be at work until noon on Thursday, but plan to hit the road soon after. My goal is to get to the Lake with a truck load of food, gear, and iron by 3:30.
Brian and I will be getting there earlier so I will start setting up kitchen so we can help you unload and get set up.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:00 pm

I will be at the lake in less than 36 hours....can't freaking wait!!!

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:47 pm

I'll be there Wednesday. Leaving Tyler about 10am so should be there by 1pm.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:08 am

Flynguy521 wrote:I'll be there Wednesday. Leaving Tyler about 10am so should be there by 1pm.
I am starting to dislike you and Scuba I want to be there tomorrow and I can't. I don't want to adult anymore.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:06 pm

I'm with Sarge on adulting.

On a separate note, just a reminder from the kitchen...

We will have plenty of food for the meals we are doing as a group and there will be coffee both mornings as well!

Don't forget your coffee cup and since I drink mine black I'm good to go. If you like to doctor yours up be sure to bring the fixings for that.

Also, since there are some meals that folks are on their own, one might assume that everyone brings their own plates and forks, sporks or spoons. Rather than assume, here's a reminder, bring such things as we are not providing them as part of the planned group meals.

I will have a washing station set up and available for people to wash dishes but rather than use disposable and deal with tons of trash this seems the more prudent way to go.

Okay, back to counting down the time...

losthanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by losthanger » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Guys; it's with a heavy heart that I have to pull out of this weekend. Sorry if this bogs up any planning, but my 80 yr. old mom is undergoing chemo for a lump and the person who was staying with her this weekend had a family emergency popup, so the duty falls on me. Going to post this over on FB as well. Sorry again. Y'all have a great time and I'll hang my hammock up here in solidarity. :)
Texas. It's a whole 'nother country.

Character is what you are in the dark

Return to “Texas Trips”