Fifth Annual Texas Butt Bake - Sponsored by Dream Hammock and HammockHangers.net

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Fifth Annual Texas Butt Bake - Sponsored by Dream Hammock and HammockHangers.net

Post by sarge » Wed May 11, 2016 12:38 pm

It is here. It is time. The time for an idea so bad you just have to do it. A time for Texans and Texicans to show their Yankee brethren that survival in extremes of temperature is easy when all you need to do is cover yourself with modern fabric and the feathers from birds, but survival in high heat and humidity takes a special kind of mindset. One that throws off all concepts of comfort and intelligence and settles instead on senseless machismo amid cries of "Hold my beer and watch this!"

It is the 5th Annual Butt Bake. Put your lawyers on speed dial, make sure all insurance is paid, and a new picture of you is on the mantle piece so your children will remember what you look like.

When: July 21-24
Where: Niederhoffer Lake and it environs via shuttle from LSHT Parking Lot #8.

Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... SOGVU/edit

Last year it was determined in a highly unorganized manner as befits such an enterprise that we would henceforward hold this event next to the cooling waters of this pristine wilderness lake and try not to contaminate by peeing in it (too much) while swimming. We shall continue this tradition, along with the tradition of offering tee shirts on odd numbered years that was established when we forgot to get tee shirts for the 4th Annual Butt Bake.

As most of you know, Niederhoffer lake is in a "Special Use" area that requires a permit to access via vehicle. SHNF Rules limit camping at the lake to 20 people, and we will honor that restriction. Those who don't make the cut to camp at the lake will be able to camp in "The Ghetto" to be established just outside the "Special Use" zone and , if you nice and bring cookies, you might be able to sneak into the lake for a swim.

After one day, we are already hitting 20 people. DO NOT PANIC. The overflow area is not that far away (couple hundred yards), and you will still be able to partake of the lake and the camaraderie. As we get closer to the date we will firm up a lottery system for who gets what area. The only exception is the people with staff by their names, as they will need to be centrally located due to the demands placed upon them.

You can get to the lake by one of two methods:

1. The preferred method: Hike the 4.2 miles from PL#8 to the lake bringing only those items that fit into your pack. Shuttles will be provided to bring limited camp gear from PL#8 to help lighten you load. These items will be restricted to a folding chair, water, and a cooler.

2. If you have physical limitations or essential gear for organizing the camp, shuttle drivers can pick you up and bring you and your gear over to the lake.

Vehicle access is going to be strictly controlled. Beginning Friday morning there will only be 3 vehicles allowed at the lake, the owners of these vehicles having volunteered to run the shuttle from Parking Lot #8. From 0900 to 1700 on Friday, every 2 hours , a shuttle truck will wait for 15 minutes at PL#8 to load gear and give instructions, etc, to anyone waiting there. Beginning at 1900, shuttles will be in an on call status (ie, you call Scuba and he picks you up). Shuttles will end at 2200 and anyone wishing access to the lake after that point will have to night hike in or wait until the next morning to hike in. Those arriving Saturday can obtain a phone number from one of the shuttle drivers for a pick up if needed.

Thursday arrivals:

We are going to limit Thursday arrivals to the Dutch Oven Cooking Crew, those bringing critical gear, and those willing to hike in from PL#8 to help in setting up camp, gather firewood, etc. If you are going to hike in to help, just leave your personal camp gear in your car at PL#8 and we'll shuttle over to get stuff as time allows.

People we need:

1. A volunteer for leading the Dutch Oven Cooking Crew to coordinate and organize the cooking set up and menu. While we are going to have the same Pot Luck dinner and wacky hijinks that we normally have on Saturday night, my hope is that we can get these folks to prepare some main courses and desserts (and folks pitch a couple of bucks into a bucket towards that end), while attendees bring items for the pot luck that don't require a lot of food prep time and can sit in a cooler all day before being served. We have established a separate thread for discussing the Pot Luck here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=892

2. A volunteer in the DFW area to pick up and co-ordinate the tee shirts. The logo above will be on the back, and on the front will be a medallion on the left front chest with the State of Texas and the words "5th Annual Texas Butt Bake". Cost is $9.00 per shirt and they will be made by long time Texas Hammock Hanger member Campwalker who made them for the 4th Butt bake. This volunteer should have a Pay Pal address that folks can send money to for their shirts and be willing to pick them up and bring them to the Butt Bake. He will also have to monitor the thread we have established to keep a record of who wants a tee shirt:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=893

Post your name ans shirt size there. Please have your orders in by 15 June.

Things we need:

~Pop-ups and serving tables, but only if you can get them to PL#8 on Thursday. The hope here is that we have the entire site organized by Friday morning.

~Fire wood. If you have some, please bring it and the shuttle drivers will bring it over. We do want to limit gathering of wood from the forest.

Other Rules:

~ No campfires in The Ghetto. We're already stretching the rules here and we don't want to make things worse with a conflagration.

I have one pop up and four serving tables.

So---how do I get to be one of the lucky 20 people if my name isn't Sargevining?

Well,it depends. Last year we had less than 20 people, so it was a moot point. Basically, put a shout out below that says "I'm in" and how many folks will be coming with you. If and when we get more than 20 definites, we'll do a drawing. If you are willing to give up a possible spot at the lake,just post "In The Ghetto!" when you do your shout out and we'll take you off the list for the drawing.

Exempted from the drawing are the Dutch Oven Cooking Crew and the principal organizers.

OK

I'm in, plus one.

Who else is willing to tempt fate?

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: Fifth Annual Texas Butt Bake

Post by UncleMJM » Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 pm

I plan to be there Thursday.

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Wed May 11, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm in, plus none. Should be able to come in Thursday to help get stuff set up. Might end up leaving on Saturday.

Wanderlust
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Wanderlust » Wed May 11, 2016 1:01 pm

I'm in will be there Wednesday with tom if he is still coming in on Wednesday if not early thursday morning

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed May 11, 2016 1:07 pm

UncleMJM wrote:I plan to be there Thursday.

Ah!

I see you've volunteered to run the Dutch Oven Cooking Crew!

Thanks!
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

lilricky
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by lilricky » Wed May 11, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm in for arrival on Friday early morning!
Last edited by lilricky on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and the Appalachian Trail.

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Wed May 11, 2016 1:41 pm

sarge wrote:
UncleMJM wrote:I plan to be there Thursday.

Ah!

I see you've volunteered to run the Dutch Oven Cooking Crew!

Thanks!
We will be there and would like to be considered part of the Dutch Oven Cooking Crew. We are available Thursday morning.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Wed May 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Wednesday maybe, Thursday for sure and might bring 3 peoples. Bringing the kayak trailer, a pop-up canopy and my witty repertoire.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Big Dawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Big Dawg » Wed May 11, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm in will see if I can get a easy up to bring. Will try be there Wednesday night or Thursday morning.
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.
Phil. 4:13

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed May 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Lets keep in mind that most early arrivals will have to relocate to PL #8 by Thursday PM.
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Wed May 11, 2016 2:34 pm

sarge wrote:Lets keep in mind that most early arrivals will have to relocate to PL #8 by Thursday PM.
Cars that is. We are REALLY trying to limit the # of cars at the lake this year.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Fifth Annual Texas Butt Bake - Sponsored by Dream Hammock and HammockHangers.net

Post by Scuba » Wed May 11, 2016 4:05 pm

PLEASE, be aware there is absolutely NO air conditioning at the lake and it is PRIMITIVE camping (no running water or electricity). There will be some trained medical personnel, but you are expected to bring any and all medical supplies you need. There may or may not be a chemical toilet, but don't count on it. Bathing is accomplished by jumping in the lake and scrubbing off the dirt and grime.

There will be plenty of ice and bottled water, but you need to provide your own food. If you want to donate some small money to the organizers to help purchase water and ice, please feel free to contact me.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Re: Fifth Annual Texas Butt Bake - Sponsored by Dream Hammock and HammockHangers.net

Post by gmcpcs » Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 pm

I'm in, for Thursday. I can't edit the spreadsheet...is there a separate link for that? Too many complicated widgets...
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Wed May 11, 2016 7:01 pm

4dBIRDS
Reactions:
Hammock: Kammok Roo
Tarp: Kammok Glider
Suspension: Kammok Python Straps
Insulation:

Post by 4dBIRDS » Wed May 11, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm in for Friday night, and bringing 1 more with me.

Return to “Texas Trips”