Hiker's Thanksgiving--- Korean Pond 11-13 December

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Hiker's Thanksgiving--- Korean Pond 11-13 December

Post by sarge » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:36 pm

Hosted by the Texas Wilderness Ministry

For those of you who haven't done Hiker's Thanksgiving, here's the skinny.

This is a Primitive Camping event that includes a pot luck Thanksgiving Dinner prepared in the field.

There will be a Friday night camp where we will all meet. Dinner that night and breakfast Saturday morning are your own responsibility, as is lunch on Saturday and Breakfast Sunday Morning.

For Saturday's "Thanksgiving Dinner" each person will be responsible for bringing a food course. One person will bring stuffing, one turkey, one mashed potatoes, etc. You can bring items that don't need cooking such as bread or desserts, but all main course items must be prepared in the field with a canister stove using mostly freeze dried or dehydrated foods (we all use the same kind of stove so that all the parts of the meal are finished at the same time). If you want to bring the turkey, it need not be dehydrated, but it has to be in a form that can be heated using a canister stove.

We will meet Friday night at the Deer Season camp at the intersection of the Pole Creek and Little Lake Creek Loop trails, and then hike over to the Deer Season campsite near the intersection of the Sand Branch and LLCL (If that site is occupied or there are too many people to use that site, we will re-locate to "Korean Pond" at the intersection of those trails. Participants can choose their own route from the Friday campsite to the Saturday campsite. This one is about Fellowship and Thanksgiving rather than miles.

Here's a video showing the most direct route and the safest one to night hike on from Parking Lot #4 to the Deer Season Camp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh7DbzAH9Jg

Keep in mind that in addition to your own food for Friday night thru Sunday morning, you'll also be packing enough stuff to provide one of the courses for all the participants.

Bringing paper plates and/or paper towels (andpacking them back out again) can count as food for the Thanksgiving Dinner.

We'll likely have some early arrivals, and if tradition holds, they will pack in some water from Parking Lot #2 over to Saturday's campsite before heading over to Friday's site, but bring your filters in case we need to get water from the pond.

OK--

Who's in, does that weekend work for you, and if not, which one does?

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Hiker's Thanksgiving

Post by Ksbcrocks » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:40 pm

I think I'm in. I've got a work trip up in the air still, but as long as it's not the same time as this I'll be there.

Rick TDBT
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow
Tarp: UGQ Winter Dream
Suspension: Straps & Caribiners
Insulation: Hg 20 tq-uq

Post by Rick TDBT » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:45 pm

Me and my son should make it, and look forward to meeting the group.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:26 am

Per usual, I should be there.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:37 am

I will check schedules. Austin and I Might be able to do Friday to sat and do a night hike out. Depends on work and school events. Definitely interested.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Scott wrote:I will check schedules. Austin and I Might be able to do Friday to sat and do a night hike out. Depends on work and school events. Definitely interested.
Let us know when you know, Scott. If you park at Parking Lot #2, your hike out on Saturday will be shorter and can be done on Forest Service Roads for most of the length---lts safer for night hiking. We can coordinate to pick you guys up at PL #2 and drive back over to #4 for the hike in to the Friday site.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:55 am

I just about had it cleared on my schedule, but it looks like I am missing hangs two months in a row. :( :cry:

Austin has a performance on Sunday AND Saturday that weekend for a community choir he is in. We are missing the fall hang due to his performance in a musical. Love to support him in the arts, but it is imposing on my camp time. ;) I think it would be bad juju to go hang instead of watch his performances :roll:
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Lumberjack
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Lumberjack » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:03 pm

I would like to come that weekend with my son. If I do come would someone have a extra UQ I could borrow for my son just in case it is going to be chilly?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:43 pm

Gotcha covered.
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:31 pm

I might be able to show up for a bit, but I'll be heading to Arkansas Sunday morning. Free camping trip with work so you know...

Friday night should be good for me, but I'd be pushing it to get to stay Saturday night.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:57 pm

What time would you be hiking out on Saturday? We can start dinner early enough for you to partake---its better to do most of it in day light anyway. If you park at PL #2 you've got a short hike out, and can road walk most of that.
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:45 am

I know I have to be in Beaumont Sunday morning, but that's all I know right now. If we aren't leaving from there terribly early I could probably stay in the forest till about 6:30-7 and be okay. If I have to be in Beaumont at some crazy time like 4-5am then I'll have to bail out earlier Saturday. I'll let you know when I know.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:51 am

Sounds good.
My You Tube Channel

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Looks like we won't be in a rush to get on the road Sunday morning, so I should be good for Friday and Saturday night. Im looking forward to getting 6 nights in a row in the woods. [emoji3]

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:55 pm

Cool. See you there. How many folks are we taliing about, and who's brining what?
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Texas Trips”