9th Texas Fall Group Hang - November 9-12, 2017

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: 9th Texas Fall Group Hang - November 9-12, 2017

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Hey Boys and Girls Hanging In Fairfield Soon!

We're getting closer to November! Sorry for the long post...

Please make sure that your information on the planning spreadsheet is current and accurate. (Sadly, Rat and his crew won't be able to make it this year, but we'll get to see them at a future hang.) I'll be doing the site assignments and the more info I have to work with the better.

We're looking for someone to lead survival bracelet construction.

I'm looking for a group of folks to help with the set up/clean up, and general do it all for the pot luck dinner. Interested?

Also, note that some additional lines have been added to the sheet.

1.) First, don't worry, there are plenty of trees. Some sites are more conducive to multiple hammocks than others so if you are planning on hanging on a stand; not hanging, but using an RV; or sleeping on the ground, please note that or feel free to PM me that info so you can be placed at a site with fewer hang options and we can keep the trees open for others.

2.) Please make sure you have as accurate a number as possible for the total people hanging in your site, again to help with proper site assignment.

3.) Several additional workshop topics have been added so if you are intereseted please mark accordingly.

4.) If you are interested in leading a workshop or teaching a skill please post that or PM me.

5.) If you plan on splicing, please B.Y.O. Amsteel. (There will be some available for purchase at the current market rate but color selection will be limited.)

6.) Please update your Pot Luck offering if you know what you are bringing so others can make decisions based on what to expect to be there.

7.) If you or someone in your group has special needs from a health or mobility standpoint that would be important w/respect to site selection, please PM me if we haven't already discussed. In fact, go ahead even if he have to make sure I don't forget.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:50 pm

In just a few more days, we'll descend upon Fairfield Lake State Park. Once we check in and pay the daily use/park entry fee and head to our preassigned sites, there may still be some questions...

When is "____" happening?
Where do I go to "_____"?
Where can I get help with my gear or set up?

Look for the Texas Hammock Hangers Banner - It will be located at our "hospitality site".

Stop by, say howdy and introduce yourself. There will be folks there or very close to help and answer questions. While there, add your info to our sign in book for historical fun and help yourself to a cup of coffee and check out the activity sign board.

This site will not be where everything is happening, but will serve as a central information center. In additon to activity information, there will be a name tag station. (Please make one and wear it so you don't have an identity crisis.)There will likely be gear to buy/sell or trade and there may be a gear swap/PIF table should someone have an interest in taking the lead on that. It will also be the place, for those so inclined, to bring any donations for Saturday Night's prize drawings.

A few more housekeeping notes:

Site assignments will be posted on the planning spreadsheet prior to the end of the week.
Don't forget to review the FAQs for things to remember and a refresher of park policies.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:50 am

Site Numbers are now listed on the Planning Spreadsheet!

While not anticipated, there may be some changes before all is said and done. The park will have the final version at checkin. One perspective on sites at a group hang, different from camping as an individual, is that some use their site as a "bedroom" for just sleeping and they hang out at campfires and activities all around the place during the day while another might use the designated site as a place to park a vehicle and actually hang with others in more "tree dense" sites.

Other stuff:

Since we're looking at the map, there is a fire pit and sand volleyball court across from sites 53-56. That's where we'll have our pot luck dinner. Now all we need is someone to help organize the set up for it...

To see the Texas Flag Dream Hammock and an assortment of other Dream Hammocks from Scuba's collection, along with Scuba, Faith and all the cool kids, look for the HammockHanger.Net Hospitality Site. You'll see the banner near sites 67, 69 and 71.

Look for the Texas Hammock Hangers Banner at the Hospitality site, likely site 40, where there will be a sign board for announcements, name tag supplies to help us remember one another, probably some coffee and a campfire, and maybe a PIF gear exchange table if anyone is interested in bringing a table and kicking it off.

Saturday Morning breakfast for everyone will be at Uncle Mike's Kitchen, most likely set up at 76. Bring a plate, fork, and a favorite salsa if you like along with something to put your coffee in and to put in your coffee if your so inclined. Breakfast taco fixings on the menu!

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:09 pm

The 9th Annual Texas Fall Hang 2017,(#tfh2017), is now in the hands of comments, pictures, and posts on social media and forums and from all indications, my suspicion of it being a success, seems to be confirmed.

I had a great time and am thankful to so many that helped make it so.

Here’s a quick numbers recap and some random thoughts:

9 - years and running we’ve enjoyed gathering as a group in the trees at FLSP
5 - States represented this time (Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, others???)
60 - campsites we paid for that gave us the entire State Park
39 - folks who found pancakes, taters & bacon at the hospitality site Friday morning
101 - folks served the annual Saturday morning breakfast from Uncle Mike’s Kitchen
146 - the number spotted at Saturday night’s Pot Luck Dinner
153-170ish? - the guestimate of attendance during the weekend (based on the solid count of Saturday night plus folks who didn’t make the dinner or the entire weekend but were sighted at some point, along with those who indicated they’d be there) This can be updated as folks update who actually attended on the planning sheet.

The weather was pretty near perfect

While our size and the space we were in, made one central campfire out of the question, there were lots of logs burned and good conversations had in numerous sites.

Special thanks to the workshop leaders:
There are now a few more folks who know how to find edibles in the wild, splice whoopie slings, keep food warmer with reflectix coozies, tie a knot or two and minimize burned food and fingers in cast iron.

The food selection, quality, and quantity Saturday night was amazing. It was great to go through the lines after most everyone was seated and still have more choices than plate space.

Talk about an amazing line of prizes… In addition to the impressive Custom Texas Flag Raven Hammock from Tom w/HammockHangers.Net and Randy and Deanna w/Dream Hammock; the WInter Tarp, Bandit Underquilt, and gift certificates from Paul and Missy w/UGQ; the Superior Insulated Hammock from Devon; the Hammock and 2 sets of suspension straps from Barry w/ Sierra Madre; and the 2” Tree Huggers from Matt w/ Wild Air Outdoor Gear, (along with the “prehang special pricing and delivery to the hang he made available so folks would be legal)

Thanks to the generosity of dozens, there were hammocks, knives, stoves, cook kits, filters, headlamps, and many more prizes and winners Saturday night than an accurate count could report.

When I made my final drive around the campground, the place looked cleaner than when we arrived. I’m grateful that this group once again stepped up to the level that I constantly brag about as good guests, LNT campers, and good stewards of the place.

I know this is long and most normal folks have already nodded off and that the first rule about publicly thanking folks is to not do it by individual name for risk of forgetting someone. At the peril of violating that rule with a statement of appreciation, here’s a shout out to some of whom and what I’m thankful. (Please don’t hesitate to remind me of those I’ve forgotten as I will quickly correct the record.)

Clark - the advance man who made us all want to get out there sooner with pics and FB live postings, supplied us with methanol for stoves, and provided food for Friday morning, (also the guy with the phone service that could reach AAA when an unmentioned event veteran, in advance of the rest of the group, locked his keys in his truck well after dark.)

Dave - aka Oldgringo, my old friend, and both the banker that made booking so many sites in advance manageable and the coffee man who kept us going daily

DeeAnn - who’s legible handwriting gave us a sense of what was going on and when

Patrick - who took the Pay It Forward table off my plate

Tom - a guy that can not only tie one on but can teach others how to splice as well

Brandy - whose passion for wild edibles is nearly as contagious as her laugh

Mark - the Captn’ with more than just beans and his crew with the prize tickets who gave it all away Saturday night

Allen - the man with the mic and speakers to boot - not much would have been heard without his hookup

Mike aka Lil Ricky - the guy without the sense to say no when volunteered to coordinate the pot luck dinner and Mitch who jumped in along with many to help him out

Ryan and Jeanette - who covered all ends from forks and plates to trash bags to put it all in at the end

Devon - who skipped the “first timer shyness” and jumped right in to help Clark feed folks Friday breakfast and also lend a hand Saturday morning

Louis and family - the unsung labor who cut 60 lbs of taters, stirred 20 dozen eggs, 14 lbs of bacon, (a vegan’s nightmare), along with plenty of other good stuff to help make Saturday mornings meal a success

Charles - who helped get that well loved cast iron ready for the next use

Ben - who generously took my favorite fisherman under his wing once again

Zort - who through his saw and wood destruction therapy helped many avert an identity crisis by providing name tag blanks

Jacob - who not only is one of the folks who helps make sure my knife is functional, but willingly lends not only a hand but some pretty good reach when it comes to taking down banners in trees

Tim, Kris, and Daniel - for their above and beyond hospitality and
Kyle - for his gentle warnings to our folks in violation of a rule or so, (without making it into a future court appearance for some)

James - my good friend who jumped in to take care of things I hadn’t even asked and willingly helped with those I did

Chris - my son who is not only one of the luckiest folks I know but one of the kindest who was always willing to lend a hand

Cindy - my bride, biggest supporter, and the love of my life, who really put in a ton behind the scenes, tolerates me, and unselfishly lets me go play in the woods more than she gets to do so

The dozens - who helped others with gear loans, set up assistance, and welcomed in those who trusted a group of folks they had decided to meet in the woods after an internet conversation. Nothing scary about that.

Among the things that we hold to with the Fall Hang that may make it different than some is that no one is asked to donate a thing. Raffle tickets are not sold. Breakfasts don’t have price tags. And vendors come as friends, not packing display cases, inventory, and cash registers, but just the good people that they are. Sure folks see things they like and place orders, but it’s a family atmosphere, not an outdoor gear trade show or festival.

With that, we develop amazing friendships with folks who make exceptional gear, more prizes than imaginable are given away completely for free, we eat well, and in some cases better than we deserve. While never asked, some tend to inappropriately place their hands in pockets and leave things. There’s always been enough to cover food expenses and this year was no exception. Thank you for those who help underwrite good meals and memories.

As we bask in the afterglow of the campfires, it’s a bit early to plan for next year, but please think about what you liked, what you’d like to see added or done differently, and how you’d like to be more involved in the future. There will be posts, surveys, and opportunities to share those thoughts in the not too distant weeks to come.

SMK
Reactions:
Hammock: extra wide chameleon
Tarp: Chill gorilla
Suspension: dutchware
Insulation: homemade

Post by SMK » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 am

Hi all just wanted to say i had a great time at the fall hang even though i was feeling a little under the weather I'm also trying to get in touch with a couple i met that had a daughter I promised a parakeet to i apologize for forgetting names but I'm terrible at remembering them if yall happen to see this i have a couple of babies close to coming out of the nest if yall, are ready

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:41 pm

SMK wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 am
Hi all just wanted to say i had a great time at the fall hang even though i was feeling a little under the weather I'm also trying to get in touch with a couple i met that had a daughter I promised a parakeet to i apologize for forgetting names but I'm terrible at remembering them if yall happen to see this i have a couple of babies close to coming out of the nest if yall, are ready
PM me if you still need help with names. I've got the list and with some context clues can help narrow it down at least a little.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:44 pm

While we are just a short month past the 9th Annual Texas Fall Hang and it's a bit early to go crazy with plans for a decade party, because of the size of the event, it's not too early to make some decisions with respect to camping sites.

If you have attended this event in the past, this year or previously, please take just a minute to complete this really brief survey.

Responses will be a huge basis for any decisions made in the next couple of days about next year's sites.

Here's the survey!

Return to “Texas Trips”