Right idea - wrong timing

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
TheBeardedGroundhog
Reactions:
Hammock: sparrow
Tarp: many
Suspension: cinch
Insulation: UGQ

Right idea - wrong timing

Post by TheBeardedGroundhog » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I got a Texas trip story for everyone. I was thinking the Butt-Bake was the weekend of the 22 July.

Dopey Me !

I got to the first exit south of Fairfield, Tx and stopped for fuel, checked the Hammock Hangers.net to see I was a week early for the Butt-Bake. (I am rearly late).

So, not to waist the road trip; I go to Fairfield Lake SP.
Got to see the workers updating the camping areas and get a good look at Cooks camping area.

tio the story:

I had a nice dinner and 3 adult beverages about 8:30. As I cleaned the camp area I spilled a little of my pot cleaning water on the tailgate of the truck. No, big deal just a little tater water that I cleaned up with a few paper towels.
Took the dish water and trash down to the dumpster and deposited it.

Got my mini wool blanket , took the things from my pockets and placed them in the floor board. I got my flash light out of the door and placed my phone in the seat. Locking the doors and went to the hammock.

Now this is a $25 "equip" bug netted hammock I got off the inter-web(a whole other story).

As I was getting in the hammock I somehow pushed the alarm on the truck and dropped the keys in the dirt at the same time.....(this is about 9pm) Pannic-ly blushing I fell/flew/dove got the keys to quell the alarm.
All living things within 5 miles could hear my error. Getting the bug noise quiet to return, I re-entered the hammock.
Zipping the bug net closed, I quickly noticed that I had no ridge-line for my keys and flashlight. They would lay atop my spherical belly for the night. The heat and humidity made it a moist night laying in my sweaty goodness to baste the night away.

About 5 amish I am awakened by chatter and clatter. I clutch for the flash light that had rolled off my belly to parts unknown, if not unwanted. The light had decided to bake along side my butt. Getting the light and the zippers apart I activated the photonic modern marvel and directed it toward the noisy bubble just 20 feet away.

The bandits freeze in the sultry air as the beam of light exposes their rampage.

3 raccoons at the back of the truck one on the ground as look-out, one standing on the bumper , and one on top of the camper shell. The one on the bumper is turning the handle to the topper wildly. The one on top trying to reach down without falling. I was momentarly amazed at the smarts these critters were showing. Then I thought "Hey, your claws are scratching my truck!" Remember my dinner clean-up spill?

well thats my story...... and I am stuck with it.

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Re: Right idea - wrong timing

Post by Flynguy521 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Good write up, except I was expecting the keys making their way from atop your belly to the bottom of said hammock, and ending with a finale of HikeHunter on the ground. Glad that was not the case.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:27 pm

I always love to read trip reports, especially when they relate to some of my own experiences... not admitting to which ones. Glad the coon training camp at FLSP is back in operation. It had been slow critter action the last few times out there but it appears that's no longer the case.

TheBeardedGroundhog
Reactions:
Hammock: sparrow
Tarp: many
Suspension: cinch
Insulation: UGQ

Post by TheBeardedGroundhog » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:33 pm

They have a Wanted poster for "Ricky" at the Ranger Station.

Return to “Texas Trips”