The Time Has Come To Answer These Questions

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

The Time Has Come To Answer These Questions

Post by sarge » Sun May 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Update
The Butt Bake will return to it's roots, and be held at PL 8. Unfortunately the USFS has contracted to have the road into Neiderhoffer repaired. It was supposed to be finished by July 11, but the contractor has set it back 3 or more weeks. This means we can not use Neiderhoffer, but the good new is next year the road in won't suck so much :)

In light of the above, we will be returning the Butt Bake to PL8. This means PURE car camping with optional day hikes. This means no lounging in the lake, BUT bring water guns and fans...and lots of batteries. This means, bring LOTS of water.

We are still having fun. Still having a great door prize drawing. Still having awesome meals. We might schedule some day trips to other spots for a swim :) .

Yes it is going to be hotter but we are still going to make every effort to make this an awesome hang. Feel free to start the flaming now.UPDATE

There are questions that all of us have that, if gone unanswered, can shake the very foundations of our existence. Questions like:

"What color is Zort's new tutu?"

"What is that big plastic thing in the middle of the pond?"

"Did you get that on video?"

"What in the corn bread hell is that smell?"

There is only one way to answer such questions and prevent rending the time/space continuum into pieces.

"How do we know it will work?" you might ask?

Silly you.

We've done it five times before and the time/space continuum is still there isn't it?

Yes, folks; it is time to be brave, be hardy, be resourceful, and, yes, abandon any sanity you may have left and engage in an endeavor that is so stupid you just have to do it:

Its time to go into the woods in extremely high temperatures and humidity and engage in foolishness and good food. Its time for the Sixth Annual Butt Bake. The usual site has been secured, lawyers have been put on retainer, and the local mental health institution has been put on notice that there may be a sudden influx of clients during and immediately after July 26-30, 2017.

To put it more officially:

When: July 26-30, 2017.
Where: Niederhoffer Lake and it environs via shuttle from LSHT Parking Lot #8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxxu-Z4 ... HYPQhfTjrR

Also, holding with a tradition that was established when we forgot to order tee shirts for the 4th Butt Bake, there will be no tee shirts available for even numbered Butt Bakes.

Those of you who have been before know the drill. For those new to this insanity, we've made it very confusing as a test of your suitablility as a sacrifice to the Sun God of Houston. Those who survive this test should be secure in the knowledge that should your sacrifice be needed, you've made the grade!

Parking will be at Parking Lot #8 on the Lone Star Trail, just off Four Notch Road near New Waverly as shown on this map:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/LSHTparking.pdf

You can get to the lake by one of two methods:

1. The preferred method: Hike the 4.2 miles from PL#8 to the lake bringing only those items that fit into your pack. Shuttles will be provided to bring limited camp gear from PL#8 to help lighten you load. These items will be restricted to a folding chair, water, and a cooler.

2. If you have physical limitations or essential gear for organizing the camp, shuttle drivers can pick you up and bring you and your gear over to the lake.

Vehicle access is going to be strictly controlled. Beginning Friday morning there will only be 3 vehicles allowed at the lake, the owners of these vehicles having volunteered to run the shuttle from Parking Lot #8. From 0900 to 1900 on Friday, every 2 hours , a shuttle truck will wait for 15 minutes at PL#8 to load gear and give instructions, etc, to anyone waiting there. Beginning at 1900, shuttles will be in an on call status (ie, you call Scuba and he picks you up). Shuttles will end at 2200 and anyone wishing access to the lake after that point will have to night hike in or wait until the next morning to hike in. Those arriving Saturday can obtain a phone number from one of the shuttle drivers for a pick up if needed.

Thursday arrivals:

We are going to limit Thursday arrivals to the Dutch Oven Cooking Crew, those bringing critical gear, and those willing to hike in from PL#8 to help in setting up camp, gather firewood, etc. If you are going to hike in to help, just leave your personal camp gear in your car at PL#8 and we'll shuttle over to get stuff as time allows.

To those who don't understand why we're doing it this way, here's an explanation:

The site is secured by Permit from the Sam Houston National Forest. This Permit is for vehicle access to the site. The central camping area is too small to allow for parking for more than a couple of vehicles without interfering with the group camping/cooking that needs to be done. Access to the site is via a very narrow one lane dirt track, so traffic control is critical. The only vehicles allowed at the site will be those of the volunteers who will be doing the shuttles. If you want to bring in kayaks or other gear that you plan on draggin out yourself, here's how you do that:

1. Show up on Thursday.
2. Call Scuba (he'll provide the number) before your try to enter the site. He will give you the gate lock combination and make sure the road is clear so that you won't run into somebody trying to get out that road while you're trying to come in on it.
3. Once you've unloaded, you'll drive your vehicle to Parking Lot #8 to park and you'll be shuttled back in by one of the volunteers.
3. On Sunday, be prepared to be the last one to leave. We're going to be shuttling everybody back to PL#8 at the same time. You'll be shuttled over to your vehicle to pick it up, then come back and get you stuff.

It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. All we really need to do is to understand that what we're tryhing to do here is insure there's enough room for everybody to do stupid stuff in the heat and that nobody has to drive in reverse down a narrow forest road because he ran into someboy else going in the opposite direction. We also want to insure that the road is clear at all times for any emergency evacuation we might need to do.

There is a 20 person limit for camping AT THE LAKE, but there is ample camping a short distance from the lake that is not included in the restricted area, so don't let that scare you fo you see that we've gotten to 20 people. I'll mention right now that, since the Third Butt Bake, we've always had more than twenty people say they were coming, and we've always had less than twenty show up.

So---how do I get to be one of the lucky 20 people at the lake if my name isn't Sargevining?

Well,it depends. Last year we had less than 20 people, so it was a moot point. Basically, put a shout out below that says "I'm in" and how many folks will be coming with you. If and when we get more than 20 definites, we'll do a drawing. If you are willing to give up a possible spot at the lake,just post "In The Ghetto!" when you do your shout out and we'll take you off the list for the drawing.

Exempted from the drawing are the Dutch Oven Cooking Crew and the principal organizers.

We do want to keep the amount of gear brought in to a minimum. While its easy to truck in a couple tons of gear over Thursday and Friday, getting it all out at once on Sunday is a task too big for us to handle. We can bring over a folding chair and a small cooler for you, but that's about it. Volunteers will be shuttling back and forth on a regular schedule from the Lake to Parking Lot #8 during the day Friday. If you need to make sprecial arrangements for late Friday night or early Saturday morning, Scuba will post a phone number you can call for a pick up. We know that a lot of people really want to help and offer items such as tabless, pop up tents, etc. After 5 Butt Bakes the Staff and Cooking Crew have got a pretty good handle on most of that, but give a shout if you have something that might be of use, but only if you can get them to PL#8 on Thursday. We want Friday to be getting people and thier personal gear back and forth.

We always need ware and fire wood. If you have some, please bring it and the shuttle drivers will bring it over. We do want to limit gathering of wood from the forest.

Other Rules:

~ No campfires in The Ghetto. We're already stretching the rules here and we don't want to make things worse with a conflagration.

I have one pop up and four serving tables.

OK

I'm in, plus one.

Who else is willing to tempt fate?

Scuba will be posting some spread sheets to make it look like this thing is organized.

Spreadsheet is here

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: The Time Has Come To Answer These Questions

Post by sarge » Sun May 14, 2017 3:45 pm

For those of you hiking in, here's a video that shows you the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqVCys ... HYPQhfTjrR
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Sun May 14, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm in and ready willing and able to be packing iron!

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Sun May 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Brian and I are in plus 3 semi adult kids. If the kid # changes I will let ya'll know. As of now my niece if flying in again to make this one. I am assuming Jr. but he may be working or in school. Chris is a most definite first for the butt bake.

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Sun May 14, 2017 3:49 pm

UncleMJM wrote:I'm in and ready willing and able to be packing iron!

Yes Uncle Mike and I will be working on a menu sometime soon.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sun May 14, 2017 3:52 pm

In of course...plus letters
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Tyler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Tyler » Sun May 14, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm in

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sun May 14, 2017 4:04 pm

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Zort » Sun May 14, 2017 4:10 pm

It's on my calendar. Last time I checked the schedule, there's no available vacation spots on Friday. So I'll be checking that regularly for changes.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can get someone else to do for you today.

My Youtube Channel

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Sun May 14, 2017 4:36 pm

I think it is early enough for me to keep jobs scheduled away from that weekend. So, place me as a 75% chance to be there.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

lilricky
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by lilricky » Sun May 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Two events I won't miss, Hangcon and the Texas Butt Bake. Going to see what providers of firewood are in the area. Would a half or full cord be enough for us?
Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and the Appalachian Trail.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun May 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Just a rick, Rick
My You Tube Channel

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:38 pm

I'll see you usual suspects there!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!