Hidden lake trip

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
SMK
Reactions:
Hammock: extra wide chameleon
Tarp: Chill gorilla
Suspension: dutchware
Insulation: homemade

Hidden lake trip

Post by SMK » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi everyone I'm new here and wanted to take a trip to hidden lake been messaging with sarge about it on yt he suggested i come here to see if anyone was interested im thinking at the end of march let the spring breakers get out pm me if interested
Thanks
SMK

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Hidden lake trip

Post by sarge » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Hey guy!

Once you have a date, put it down here and I'll see if I can make it.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:12 pm

If you decide to change it to Neiderhoffer let me know. I dislike Hidden Lake due to it being disgusting and i like for my trail partner to be able to swim when she see's water.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:23 pm

It would be a good trip if we make Hidden Lake the lunch destination. From there we could take the FS road north until it hist 4 notch and come into Niederhoffer from the north, or bushwhack down Boswell Creek until we cross the LST and come into Niederhoff from the south.

That's one I have done yet.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

SMK
Reactions:

Post by SMK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:57 am

How about 25th and 26th and I'm open to suggestions since i don't know any good spots since I'm new and always want to learn something new

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:03 am

Can't make the weekend of the 25th due to a prior committment. In fact, now that I check the sched the Little Colonel has lined out, late April is the earliest I'm going to be able to get out.
My You Tube Channel

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 am

Camping is out for me until fall due to other commitments.

How is your trail finding? Navigating that area isn't hard after a bit of experience but if you are brand new or rusty and going solo it might be comforting to have more than a map and compass. In addition to the roads and trails indicated on maps there are MORE roads and trails that aren't, so just because you are at a fork in the trail, it doesn't mean you've reached the one on the map that you are looking for. It can also be confusing if the trail goes through a parcel that has been recently logged. Somewhere I have a GPS track showing several ways in to Hidden Lake if that would be helpful to you and you can't find one online.

I liked Hidden Lake. I liked Niederhofer, although I needed a GPS to get to Niederhofer from the LSHT the last time. I also liked camping along FS 2033 north east of the LIttle Lake Creek Loop trail between mile markers 13 and 14 (it isn't far from a subdivision and I did hear some noise from that); its on the Kelly / Caney Creek map). I don't so much like the area along the Little Lake Creek Loop trail between mile marker 15 and 18; that area has a "dismal swamp" feel to me. I camp with two busy dogs that do best with open spaces away from people, and that influences my campsite preferences. YMMV.

SMK
Reactions:

Post by SMK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Thats good info and I'm definitely rusty as in haven't really done any blazing dince i was a kid and to dumb to know i could get totally lost...lol obviously i made it out every time. ..lol but i made a trip out there a few weeks ago couldnt find hidden lake with the topo i downloaded from LHST club website and came to the realization that i was a babe in the woods...lol this is why im trying to hook up with the knowledgeable ... i am smart enough to know when to give....lol
P.s. to bad you're booked sarge and the to scuba I'm definitely open to neiderhoffer hell im so fresh i just want to get out there

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm

SMK wrote:but i made a trip out there a few weeks ago couldnt find hidden lake with the topo i downloaded from LHST club website
Sarge's UTube channel has a video made last year on a hike to Hidden Lake.

I like this map best:
http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/LSH ... shaded.pdf

If you are taking a direct route, start at Parking Lot 8 and go north east on FS 213. When that corners to go NW the trail continues to the NE. The red trail on the map corners to the NW to avoid private property (the white area); that detour is a bit hard to follow IMHO. Sarge's video doesn't make that turn, continues straight down the old logging road and across the private property. Much easier to follow; it goes pretty much NE. A bit (1/4 mile?) after crossing Thickett Branch Creek (I"m pretty sure this crossing is at a big culvert) it gets a little confusing. You have to make a turn to the SE although there is also a nice looking trail that continues to the NE. But very shortly after that you have to turn to the left and again head NE. That turn is hard to make; the old logging road continuing to the SE looks like a good way to go and the correct trail to Hidden Lake is much smaller. The map shows that those two routes eventually meet back up right before the crossing of Boswell Creek, but when I continued to the SE on the logging road I lost the trail when the road hit Boswell Creek. I had to bushwack to the NW along the creek. Once the trail crosses Boswell Creek ENE of Hidden Lake you come to the end of FS 2061 which is easy to follow to Hidden Lake. It is also easy to follow out to the Four Notch Loop Trail. However FS 2061 near Hidden Lake doesn't look much like a road with dirt or gravel, just a wide path without trees or bushes. Plenty of grass and leaves though. Curiously, it does have a big sign next to it near the lake.

On my first solo hike in that area I loaded up my GPS (a GPS smartphone app works too) with the topo basemap, and added a collection of waypoints, typically at trail intersections and a bit down the trail the "right way" from the intersections. I navigated best I could with map and compass, and when I got a bit uncertain about exactly where I was I tried to "find" myself. The GPS was to help if I ever got completely confused about where I was. For me getting lost is the best way to figure out exactly where I am. If you've got lots of daylight, nice weather, food, water and shelter, you're in good shape for trying to figure out where you are. Sometimes it is helpful to count your paces (count 1 every time your right foot hits the ground). To a first approximation on flat trail 1000 paces is about 1 mile.

SMK
Reactions:

Post by SMK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:53 pm

I sure appreciate all that info yeah im sure i was right around it. I just didnt want to get to far off trail by myself and unfamiliar as in first time i followed boswell for about a quarter mile of that old fs road im sure i was close so i just found a nice little place along the creek and stayed there for the night

SMK
Reactions:

Post by SMK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Oh yeah and my phone was only useful as a camera out there...lol

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:24 pm

SMK wrote:i just found a nice little place along the creek and stayed there for the night
Sounds like a success to me. Maybe you didn't reach all your trip objectives, but hardly a failure. If you keep poking around that area you'll soon figure out where everything is and where each trail goes.

Most phones sold in the last several years, and the more expensive phones sold before that, have built-in GPS receivers that will work even when you cannot get a cell signal. This page provides good info on using your smartphone as a hiking GPS:
http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-gps ... ckpacking/

SMK
Reactions:

Post by SMK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks alot for all this great info oh and the trip was a success just didn't find my intended destination but to me any night by a fire is a good one I'll definitely keep going in fact I'd like to try a through next year

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:29 pm

GregD wrote:. Once the trail crosses Boswell Creek ENE of Hidden Lake you come to the end of FS 2061 which is easy to follow to Hidden Lake. It is also easy to follow out to the Four Notch Loop Trail. However FS 2061 near Hidden Lake doesn't look much like a road with dirt or gravel, just a wide path without trees or bushes. Plenty of grass and leaves though. Curiously, it does have a big sign next to it near the lake.
My first time out there was right after they'd done some logging on 2061 north of the lake---it was cleared and a good part of it covered in caliche---definetly a road. The downside to that was that we missed where the LST crossed it and had to back track to find it.
SMK wrote:but i made a trip out there a few weeks ago couldnt find hidden lake with the topo i downloaded from LHST club website and came to the realization that i was a babe in the woods...lol this is why im trying to hook up with the knowledgeable ... i am smart enough to know when to give....lol
P.s. to bad you're booked sarge and the to scuba I'm definitely open to neiderhoffer hell im so fresh i just want to get out there
Download an app called "Maprika." It allows you to use your phone's GPS without using a data connection. You can also load the LSHT topos into the app and it will show your position on those maps. Really helps when you want to confirm you're where you think you are.

I might be able to sneak out towards the middle of April. The Little Colonel has us going to Dallas for a Chris Tomlin concert on April 21 and I have a committment with the Museum of the American GI the weekend of April 7, but I might be able to take some "me" time on the 14th.

The bushwhack along Boswell to Niederhoffer shouldn't ber all that bad, especilly if we stay on the Hidden Lake side of the creek. After a short bit it should hit a fence line that ends right near where the trail into Niederhoffer runs into the LST. Definetly much shorter than the trail miles, and easier to follow than the north trail into Niederhoffer that goes thru the logged zone.
My You Tube Channel

SMK
Reactions:

Post by SMK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:34 pm

That sounds really cool and typically i can make time to go only thing to stop me is when I'm on call for work

Return to “Texas Trips”