Texas Hammock Hangers LSHT Trail Stewards

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Texas Hammock Hangers LSHT Trail Stewards

Post by sarge » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Texas Hammock Hangers, under the auspices of HammockHangers.net and the Sam Houston Trails Coalition have become Trail Stewards for the Sand Branch Trail just outside the Little Lake Creek Wilderness Section of the Sam Houston National Forest. This is a +/- 3/4 mile long connector trail that runs between the Lone Star Trail And the Little Lake Creek Loop Trail.

This trail has special significance for many of us. The little pond at the southern edge of this trail is the one we call "Korean Pond", and is where we have held our annual "Hikers Thanksgiving". Its the place Scatman got his Trail Name, and where a deer stuck his nose in Cookie Coon's ear. The nothern end of the trail is about 1 3/4 miles south of Parking Lot #2 and Korean Pond at its southern end makes for a great destination when hiking the loops in the Richards Loop Area. It is also a bit drier in early Spring than other trails in the general area. There is a Forest Service road that goes from Bethel Road to the approximate midpoint of the trail which we may have access to that would make it convenient to load in tools if any heavy work is required.

There is also a primitive campsite just south of that FS road that serves as a Dear Season campsite. It is well situated on a rise and conforms to LNT practices as it is convenient to Korean Pond but far enough away not to affect the water there. But it is presently not optimum for hammock camping, especially for more than one hammock camper. It has a great tent pad and the people who have worked on it before have done a fantastic job on it for that purpose. Our goal here would be to use this as an opportunity to educate the Forest Service, the Sam Houston Conservancy, and other hikers and backpackers about proper hammock camping practices, how they minimize damage to the forest, particularly as it concerns soil compaction and damage to low brush, that hammocks do not present the danger to tree growth that some fear, and how to adapt/expand existing primitive tent pad sites to accomodate hammock campers. To that end we would need to make a proposal and general design for such a campsite that emphasizes LNT practices as applied to hammock camping. It is important to note here that our duties will also include making sure this site is maintained for tent use as well, we're just going to adapt it for added functionality as a hammock camping site.

I don't want to get too detailed beyond that right now as I'm just getting into this myself. I do know that we'll be dealing with the Yankee Gummint, so there will be some paperwork and training programs to do, [url:http://www.kgwn.tv/content/news/Congres ... 06256.html]but good news about that sort of thing came out last week.[/url]

I've been named the Point of Contact with the Sam Houston Conservancy for this project. On Saturday February 18, 2017 I will be attending a meeting at SHNF HQ and have been told that anyone interested can attend, we'll know a lot more after that and it will be posted here. After the meeting, we'll change this post from an Announcement to a Sticky and updates will be added on a regular basis.
LSHT Stewards Meet & Greet

Meet and greet all the Lone Star Hiking Trail stewards, discuss how to maintain the trail, and hear from each of you the needs of trail, trailhead, and primitive campsite you have adopted. Important to attend as we are the best source of people to help one another with big projects like erosion or bridge repair. Some major trail maintenance may require Forest Service approval or special techniques.
Meeting at Sam Houston National Forest ranger station.
When
Sat Feb 18, 2017 9am – 11am Central Time
Where
https://www.google.com/maps?q=394+FM+13 ... TX%2077358
I think that organizing a camping trip this weekend, and attending the meeting on Saturday morning would be a great way for us to get familiar with the Sand Branch Trail, the Primitive Campsite, the rangers at SHNF and the Sam Houston Conservancy. Since the meeting is at 9:00 AM, we would need to get out butts out of the hammock in time for that. Deer Season will be over, so on trail camping will be allowed, so I'd propose that those who wish to camp for the weekend camp at Hurricane Cove on Friday night and be prepared to move to Korean Pond via Parking Lot #2 for Saturday night. The hike into Hurricane Cove is a good, safe night hiking route for those coming in on Friday night, its a short hike out in the morning, and its only a couple of miles to the Forest HQ from there. We might need to explain the campfire smoke and hiking funk smell when we get there, but t probably isn't the first time folks walked into the building like that. Allen Pape, our contact with the Conservancy, wants to see our hammock camping set ups, and we can survey the trail and the Primitive campsite.

So, if you'd like to attend the meeting, whether you want to camp with us for the weekend or just attend the meeting on Satruday, sound off here in this post and I will get the names to Allen.

Also, if you have any questions, please ask them here even if you're not going. We can get them asked, and hopefully answered, at the meeting.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Texas Hammock Hangers LSHT Trail Stewards

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Consider me committed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:23 pm

So...I have never been to Hurricane Cove, or Korean Pond or the Forest Service office. I am interested in camping that weekend, but could use some more specific direction. Looking at the link you provided above, that office is over towards I-45. But in your message, you say it's just a few miles hike from Korean Pond/Sand Branch area. Maybe I'm just not clear as to the specific points to which you refer. Maybe you could enlighten me?

In vino veritas.

Rick TDBT
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow
Tarp: UGQ Winter Dream
Suspension: Straps & Caribiners
Insulation: Hg 20 tq-uq

Post by Rick TDBT » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:34 am

I would love to do something like this. My son and I were looking into doing something to help give back.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 am

Anybody heard from Sarge lately? No videos for quite some time now. Ain't heard much round these parts neither...

In vino veritas.

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:36 pm

We're getting ready for the Frozen Butt Hang this coming weekend. Except, I think it should have been this weekend. Overnight low was 16* at my house and will be cold though Sunday. Next weekend they are expecting temperatures in the seventies.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:46 pm

KINGLONESTAR wrote:Anybody heard from Sarge lately? No videos for quite some time now. Ain't heard much round these parts neither...

I ain't died, I'm just trying to get a new project going and its taking more of my time than I expected. It has to do with WW1 Reenacting.

https://www.facebook.com/Y-Guy-Supply-1 ... =bookmarks
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Rmil
Reactions:
Hammock: SLD Tree Runner
Tarp: 10x10
Suspension: speed hooks
Insulation: Modified OV

Post by Rmil » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:52 pm

If it's not too late to get in on this I'd love to help.
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking - George S Patton

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Its only too late at about 9:00 AM on Sunday morning.

If you need directions or any other help, just shout out.
My You Tube Channel

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:37 pm

So let me see if I'm pickin' up what yer putt in' down... if we want to camp, we drive up on Friday, February 17 to Lake Conroe and park at TH#6 and hike into "Hurricane Cove" for Friday night. Then, break camp Saturday morning in time to drive to the Ranger Station office on 1375 for the Meet and Greet on Saturday morning at 9AM. Then, if we want to continue the camping, park at TH #2 on Bethel Rd. And hike down via our preferred route to "Korean Pond" for afternoon/evening revelry, rabble-rousing and general nefariousness. Then out and gone Sunday.

Sound about right?

In vino veritas.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:46 pm

As they say in France:

"Ohn zee booton."

Although I do believe the rabble will need no rousing.

Only addition is that the trail steward guy might be hiking with us to familiarize us with inspection and possible remediation of the trails. I've not published much here b/c I'm still not entirely sure what all we can and cannot do and what our responsibilities will be.
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:06 am

Turns out I'll be hanging out with 60+ Jr High kids and staff during the Meet and Greet weekend, (as much as I'd like to be hanging in the woods, I'll be doing just that in a different set of woods), so I'm looking forward to a great trip report with lots of details.

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 am

I am still trying to make this one, but I will be just returning from a trip and I will not know until the last minute.

Zort
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Zort » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:28 am

I was able to get that Friday off. So unless something comes up, I'll be there.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can get someone else to do for you today.

My Youtube Channel

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:11 pm

I just accepted a new job and will probably be training that weekend. If I'm not working I will be there.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Return to “Texas Trips”