8th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: 8th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:53 pm

SR1355 wrote:EXCELLENT!!! I'm looking forward to spending more than 24 in camp this time.... LOL!!! Fingers crossed....
We're looking forward to seeing you again this year buddy!

SR1355
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SR1355 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Scuba wrote:If you have any new tarps to show off, bring em, we will be showing off at least 2 new DreamHammock Ravens, maybe some more stuff also.
I'll have a few tarps for the raffle as well as our new yet to be released UQ that should be available for purchase BlackFriday. Still working a few details out...
Paul - UGQ Outdoor Equipment
http://www.ugqoutdoor.com/

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:21 pm

SR1355 wrote:
Scuba wrote:If you have any new tarps to show off, bring em, we will be showing off at least 2 new DreamHammock Ravens, maybe some more stuff also.
I'll have a few tarps for the raffle as well as our new yet to be released UQ that should be available for purchase BlackFriday. Still working a few details out...
If space is at a premium on your bike, you can mail stuff down to me and I can bring them along. Let me know.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Uncle Mike is bribing me with coffee and extra breakfast tacos to put some snaps on some Costco quilts for top quilts,and I figgered it might also work as a how to demostration for making the "No Sew Wearable Top Quilt and Underquilt Booster" as shown in my soon to be award winning video series on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Jd7WH_9YCJ

So if you've got the quilts, snaps, and a snap gun and want to follow along, bring them along and we'll do it together. I might be talked into loaning out my snap gun for those who don't have one, and I might be talked out of a few snaps, too. But bring your own if you can. You can get them here:

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collection ... -plier-kit

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/kam-snaps

Or you can run down to Hobby Lobby and look for the "Babyville" snap pliers in the sewing section.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:03 am

UncleMJM wrote:Here's the list of interest areas for classes as I've seen it so far on the planning spreadsheet, (please feel free to add topics).

Anyone willing to lead, please shout out.

Leaders, if you need folk to bring supplies or have a time in mind, please note that too.

Brandy - wild edibles hike
Scuba - Splicing BYO Amsteel project or he'll have some available at cost
Rat - Knots & Paracord Bracelets - ready for round 3 Rat?
Ken - sewing machine basics for DIY

Topics mentioned with no set leaders yet:
Kayaking
DIY Hammock
hunting/fishing
archery
wilderness survival
stoves
light weight gear
insulation

Any other topics of interest???
If its too rainy to set up a sewing machine I may be able to do some dry land basic kayak instruction and launch some people down at campsite #36 that is very easy access. I've been an ACA certified instructor for many years and taught hundreds of people of all ages and physical abilities but honestly thought I would be too busy to paddle and wasn't planning to bring a boat, but could bring a 2 person tandem kayak just in case others wanted it. I can do assisted rescue or instruct in self rescue if necessary. But I really hate to miss Brandy's wild edibles hike that is a highlight of the weekend for me as well, much more fun than kayaking which I do several times a month 12 months a year, paddling get old... plants never do :-)

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:05 am

** Burn Ban Update **

There has been plenty of rain in the last couple of days however there is no change to the burn ban status yet. The County Commissioners meet on Tuesday and my bet is they will lift it. Nothing official about that though until middle of next week. I'll post more when we have more to tell.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:19 am

Sure wish I could make it but google maps says 25 hours of driving each way for me.

I'll have to plan ahead farther for next year. Never been to Texas.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:41 am

Idaho Hanger wrote:Sure wish I could make it but google maps says 25 hours of driving each way for me.

It's an awesome event. The Papa Smurf and his wonderful bride are here again this year, along with Paul from UGQ. A couple years ago Derek Hansen made it out. I think the count this year was at/near 140, but numbers change as people get pulled away by real life stuff.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:14 pm

Scuba wrote:
Idaho Hanger wrote:Sure wish I could make it but google maps says 25 hours of driving each way for me.

It's an awesome event. The Papa Smurf and his wonderful bride are here again this year, along with Paul from UGQ. A couple years ago Derek Hansen made it out. I think the count this year was at/near 140, but numbers change as people get pulled away by real life stuff.
Ditto what Scuba said.

While you would take the prize for distance, Idaho Hanger, we have a few more pins on our map in addition to the Michigan, Ohio, and Arizona folks above. This will be our 8th of these and while the bulk of our folk come from Texas, we also have a number of regular hangers from Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and occasionally New Mexico. We've also had representation from Florida and North Carolina as well as somewhere I'm sure I've forgotten.

Should life twists and turns give you occasion to be in our neck of the woods, we'll have a place for you around the camp fire.

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:35 am

The LONESTAR crew is up to 6 now. Everyone is excited and my thread injector is wore out from Sunday's I-gotta-get-all-this-stuff-finished-before-this-weekend sewing marathon. My dawgs were barking...feed dawgs, that is! *poor attempt at sewing machine humor*

Looking forward to meeting everyone and checking out some gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Some folk like to have a schedule to have a sense of what’s going on so for those who d0, here is the flow of the hang, (not to be confused with a real schedule except for meal times on Saturday that relate to food prep and sunshine)…

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:32 pm

UncleMJM wrote:Some folk like to have a schedule to have a sense of what’s going on so for those who d0, here is the flow of the hang, (not to be confused with a real schedule except for meal times on Saturday that relate to food prep and sunshine)…
Saturday, during and after Breakfast, join the Snappiest guy on the Internet at the Main Group Site and make a top quilt or two.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Snaps for Sarge's Snap Spectacular

(Insert finger snapping meme here)

Edit: Not long enough. Come by section 8, I mean space 8, and you might see me all tangled up in a Tiggs Craftworkz Tensile pole rig.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:18 pm

sarge wrote:
UncleMJM wrote:Some folk like to have a schedule to have a sense of what’s going on so for those who d0, here is the flow of the hang, (not to be confused with a real schedule except for meal times on Saturday that relate to food prep and sunshine)…
Saturday, during and after Breakfast, join the Snappiest guy on the Internet at the Main Group Site and make a top quilt or two.
OH SNAP! [emoji54]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:29 pm

i thin I am going to do the splicing class early this yer, maybe 10am... will figure it out when i get there and talk to the Head Cat-herder.

Return to “Texas Trips”