8th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: 8th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Scuba wrote:
hikehunter wrote:My wife and I will need a place to hang our hats. Will help pay for some of the space. Anyone willing to let us use a few trees in the corner?
We got ya covered. I have 2 sites, sarge has one, so we are good. Just look for the hammockhangers.net banner

I've updated the spreadsheet accordingly!

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm willing to share also; depending on where I end up. BTW, is there going to be a site assignment map?

I plan to model a bipod chain link fence stand and a No Ground Hiking Pole Stand http://www.tiggzcraftworkz.com/NGpoles.html if it comes in on time. Also, depending on how easy these are to set up after it gets dark...I'll probably need trees for Friday night...

Yes, I'm arriving on Friday, and will have one other with me coming in from Baylor. My parking will be for two vehicles. Loads of details, I know.

I am sure ready to get outdoors!

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:02 pm

gmcpcs wrote:I'm willing to share also; depending on where I end up. BTW, is there going to be a site assignment map?
There is plenty of room for all especially with folks willing to share. Thanks Alphabetman! Last year a site assignment map went up and I expect we'll see it again this year. While the first rendition was posted really early in 2015, the final version went up 11/5, about a week before the hang. While I'm not the one doing it, my hunch is that we'll see one again and as all the sites are now booked, I bet it will be before too long.
gmcpcs wrote:I plan to model a bipod chain link fence stand and a No Ground Hiking Pole Stand http://www.tiggzcraftworkz.com/NGpoles.html if it comes in on time. Also, depending on how easy these are to set up after it gets dark...I'll probably need trees for Friday night...
I'm looking forward to your stand show and tell. :D

While our Honeymoon Suite requires a 3 tree hang for my bride and I, I plan to bring a YATS for 3 others as well. That way in case folks need to use it we could set it up on any open area.
gmcpcs wrote:I am sure ready to get outdoors!
Me too times 12.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Looking forward to the hang at Fairfield this year, only weeks away now :). Have a trailer site for our tow behind, hoping I can hang in our site or find someone to hang with, and instruction on what I am doing wrong, my double nest can sleep one thus far, comfortably.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Here's the list of interest areas for classes as I've seen it so far on the planning spreadsheet, (please feel free to add topics).

Anyone willing to lead, please shout out.

Leaders, if you need folk to bring supplies or have a time in mind, please note that too.

Brandy - wild edibles hike
Scuba - Splicing BYO Amsteel project or he'll have some available at cost
Rat - Knots & Paracord Bracelets - ready for round 3 Rat?
Ken - sewing machine basics for DIY

Topics mentioned with no set leaders yet:
Kayaking
DIY Hammock
hunting/fishing
archery
wilderness survival
stoves
light weight gear
insulation

Any other topics of interest???

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:33 am

I can do the Kayaking lecture if there is interest for this. I will also have my two Ocean Kayak SOT with me as well. I can do whatever time is convenient for others.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Polkster13 wrote:I can do the Kayaking lecture if there is interest for this. I will also have my two Ocean Kayak SOT with me as well. I can do whatever time is convenient for others.
Awesome! Thanks Polkster!

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:11 pm

I just got off the phone with my contact at Fairfield Lake State Park and they are really excited about us coming again this year.

Unfortunately, the park that's it's share of flood warnings this year, is under a burn ban again. This seems to be an annual frustration for those of us here in Texas. Anyway, for those so inclined, now's the time to pray for rain or start beating the drums to kick the rain dances into high gear.

Charcoal is still allowed for cooking, but we may have some limitations as far as campfires go.

Those who have done this before know this is an annual occurrence and for those doing this the first time don't worry chances are good we'll have plenty of October rain.

I'll keep everyone posted so we know whether to bring firewood or extra glow sticks.

SR1355
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SR1355 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:15 pm

Looks like I'm free to make my annual pilgrimage to the TX Fall Hang WOOT!!!! Anyone still looking to share of have a little room for me and the bike? I'm hoping to have MacGyver'd a motorbike friendly hammock stand by then so just a bit of flat ground is all that is needed.
Paul - UGQ Outdoor Equipment
http://www.ugqoutdoor.com/

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:53 pm

SR1355 wrote:Looks like I'm free to make my annual pilgrimage to the TX Fall Hang WOOT!!!! Anyone still looking to share of have a little room for me and the bike? I'm hoping to have MacGyver'd a motorbike friendly hammock stand by then so just a bit of flat ground is all that is needed.
We got ya covered Paul. Worst case, we make you use a hammock stand (provided), but we CAN squeeze ya in.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

SR1355
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SR1355 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:48 pm

EXCELLENT!!! I'm looking forward to spending more than 24 in camp this time.... LOL!!! Fingers crossed....
Paul - UGQ Outdoor Equipment
http://www.ugqoutdoor.com/

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:07 pm

If you have any new tarps to show off, bring em, we will be showing off at least 2 new DreamHammock Ravens, maybe some more stuff also.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Does Fairfield assign camp sites or is it as normal first come first served?
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:29 pm

If you mean sites in the Springfield Loop that Mike reserved, those will be assigned in the next week or two by RAT.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Calait wrote:Does Fairfield assign camp sites or is it as normal first come first served?
What Scuba said re: the Springfield, water only sites. I have booked and paid for all of them and Rat will be posting the site assignments for the hang.

As for Cook's Ferry or any other area, or anywhere during any other time of the year TPWD rules apply.

As you refer to "normal", the Texas State park policy is that when one reserves a site, they do not reserve a specific piece of real estate, but a "type" of site, (primitive, water only, electric, full hook-ups, etc). Anyone who has reserved a site through the TPWD system falls into this category and gets a first come pick of the area of the type of sites they have booked.

Calait, since you are in Cook's Ferry and are planning an early arrival, you should have pick of the litter over there. Take a look at the park map and you'll see where the sites are that are on the outer perimeter on that part of the loop closest to the Springfield side. As I recall, there are mucho trees there and it's close to the path connecting the two areas.

Return to “Texas Trips”