8th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: 8th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:02 pm

hikehunter wrote:She said she will make the carmel corn stuff for me.
Yes!

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:58 am

Planning on attending? If so, please make sure you have added/updated your info to the planning spreadsheet.

We currently have 62 line entries representing 121 potential participants.

Of those 62, all but 16 have either booked a site, (through our group or directly with the park), or have indicated who they are sharing with in a site that has been booked.

34 of the 35 available sites we have blocked for our group in the Springfield Loop, water only area, have been paid for with 1 remaining available.

83 sites in the adjacent Cooks Ferry and Post Oak loops are available for reservation directly through the Texas State Parks system.

There are plenty of trees at most of the sites that work well for hanging. Also there are plenty of sites for those who prefer to camp more privately as opposed to sharing with someone they haven't yet met.

If you have not booked a site or made arrangements to share a site, it's a good idea to do that sooner than later. Please mark who you are sharing with on the spreadsheet when that's decided. I'll move your line entry next to the person you are sharing with and mark you as "set". Those still not connected with a site will be on the bottom of the page.

There are at least 9 folks with Pd sites open to share and each site can accommodate several so for those needing to find a space can check who's willing to share and enter into an offline/PM conversation. Once set, please update the spreadsheet.

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Maybe I should have had this discussion much sooner but...so here's the situation for me...

I have a reservation in the other loop with my travel trailer for QueenLoneStar and DaughterLoneStar. We will arrive sometime Friday evening after work (about a 2 1/2 hour drive for us...if I can sneak past Bucee's without stopping). The girls have not yet succumbed to the ways of the hang...but I would like to hang with the other hammockers.

What do I need to do to be able to come hang my hammock and stay with the group in your loop??? I don't know why I'm just now wondering of the details. I guess I was just excited that she said Yes to my first Hammock Hang and I was a bit ferklempt. Now I'm wondering what I'll need to do...I mean, I don't want to be so pretentious to think I can just come strolling over and hang wherever I want.

Can one of you Sages please enlighten this NOOB?
In vino veritas.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:17 pm

We'll figure out a way to make it work. Just find Rat, Alan, or me when you arrive and we'll see what the options are.

One thing to consider is that sunset is between 5-530. If you arrive after dark you'll want to get your family set up before it gets too late.

Then either swing on over to the hospitality site to say howdy and find a place to hang OR stay with your family Friday night and meet us Saturday.

Saturday breakfast is at "Uncle Mike's Kitchen" so bring the family, your plates and coffee cups and we'll meet then if not before.

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 am

DIY Skills for Hangers: An idea for an afternoon before supper craft project was to connect a simple sewing machine to one of the very limited power outlets at the restroom and setup on a folding table under a large tarp there and help a very limited number of people sew a very very simple hammock related item like Ridgeline organizer, ground stake bag, small RL gear hammock etc. If it rains hard this would be called off and it cannot conflict with the nature hike or supper because those are the highlights of my weekend :-) I don't plan to bring one of my heavy duty machines only a cheap very lightweight one so limited to light fabrics and just a few people who have never sewed before, nothing fancy. Also my sewing skills are very limited so only the very basics, I mess up a lot as well ha ha ha. If you have some No-see-um or ripstop fabric or similar or a S-machine and extension cord etc. bring it so we can help more people learn to sew. Donations of fabric and just about anything even bananas and live chickens are always accepted :-) Please bring them in a cage or bound feet... I like chickens, mostly the cooked type. ha ha ha Obviously joking, State Park violation most likely... How to prepare live food next camp-out in a National Forest perhaps.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:28 am

TXyakr wrote:DIY Skills for Hangers: An idea for an afternoon before supper craft project was to connect a simple sewing machine to one of the very limited power outlets at the restroom and setup on a folding table under a large tarp there and help a very limited number of people sew a very very simple hammock related item like Ridgeline organizer, ground stake bag, small RL gear hammock etc. If it rains hard this would be called off and it cannot conflict with the nature hike or supper because those are the highlights of my weekend :-) I don't plan to bring one of my heavy duty machines only a cheap very lightweight one so limited to light fabrics and just a few people who have never sewed before, nothing fancy. Also my sewing skills are very limited so only the very basics, I mess up a lot as well ha ha ha. If you have some No-see-um or ripstop fabric or similar or a S-machine and extension cord etc. bring it so we can help more people learn to sew. Donations of fabric and just about anything even bananas and live chickens are always accepted :-) Please bring them in a cage or bound feet... I like chickens, mostly the cooked type. ha ha ha Obviously joking, State Park violation most likely... How to prepare live food next camp-out in a National Forest perhaps.
I think that's a great idea. Go for it! I'll start saving bananas and chickens.

(Feel free to link this suggestion on the FB page - it'll share the idea and point folks who don't already know about this forum here too.)

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:49 am

UncleMJM wrote:
TXyakr wrote:DIY Skills for Hangers: An idea for an afternoon before supper craft project was to connect a simple sewing machine to one of the very limited power outlets at the restroom and setup on a folding table under a large tarp there and help a very limited number of people sew a very very simple hammock related item like Ridgeline organizer, ground stake bag, small RL gear hammock etc. If it rains hard this would be called off and it cannot conflict with the nature hike or supper because those are the highlights of my weekend :-) I don't plan to bring one of my heavy duty machines only a cheap very lightweight one so limited to light fabrics and just a few people who have never sewed before, nothing fancy. Also my sewing skills are very limited so only the very basics, I mess up a lot as well ha ha ha. If you have some No-see-um or ripstop fabric or similar or a S-machine and extension cord etc. bring it so we can help more people learn to sew. Donations of fabric and just about anything even bananas and live chickens are always accepted :-) Please bring them in a cage or bound feet... I like chickens, mostly the cooked type. ha ha ha Obviously joking, State Park violation most likely... How to prepare live food next camp-out in a National Forest perhaps.
I think that's a great idea. Go for it! I'll start saving bananas and chickens.

(Feel free to link this suggestion on the FB page - it'll share the idea and point folks who don't already know about this forum here too.)

but...who's gonna bring the weed-eater, and the rubber pants?! :roll:
In vino veritas.

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:50 am

UncleMJM wrote:We'll figure out a way to make it work. Just find Rat, Alan, or me when you arrive and we'll see what the options are.

One thing to consider is that sunset is between 5-530. If you arrive after dark you'll want to get your family set up before it gets too late.

Then either swing on over to the hospitality site to say howdy and find a place to hang OR stay with your family Friday night and meet us Saturday.

Saturday breakfast is at "Uncle Mike's Kitchen" so bring the family, your plates and coffee cups and we'll meet then if not before.

Roger that...will definitely be setting up the trailer first. Then will head over and meet up and go from there...see y'all in a few weeks. Until then, I must go to the woods and hunt animals with sharp, pointy flying sticks.
In vino veritas.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:40 pm

39 days to go! (but whose counting?) :lol:

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:48 am

UncleMJM wrote:We'll figure out a way to make it work. Just find Rat, Alan, or me when you arrive and we'll see what the options are.

Then either swing on over to the hospitality site to say howdy and find a place to hang
I hope to get there Wednesday or Thursday at the latest if at all possible so will try to find one of you 3 as soon as I arrive at Springfield loop. Hope to get site #11 or close to it so I have some wooded area behind to go semi-wild in (being a Brazil-nut from Amazon and all) also next to Native plants lady would be great. Or site 34 or close by lake would be awesome but that is Caveman and Cookiecoon's, all respect to them. One friend, fellow kayaker is a big maybe he will most likely be out of country. Second has only hammock camped once, 2 nights but she really liked it. Said she would not miss this group hang. Delia plans to be there Friday and Saturday nights both, very excited to meet everyone. So I'm glad I was lucky enough to reserve a site in Springfield :-) Please welcome Delia when she gets there late Friday night or Saturday at breakfast.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:58 am

TXyakr wrote:

Then either swing on over to the hospitality site to say howdy and find a place to hang
I hope to get there Wednesday or Thursday at the latest if at all possible so will try to find one of you 3 as soon as I arrive at Springfield loop. Hope to get site #11 or close to it so I have some wooded area behind to go semi-wild in (being a Brazil-nut from Amazon and all) also next to Native plants lady would be great. Or site 34 or close by lake would be awesome but that is Caveman and Cookiecoon's, all respect to them. One friend, fellow kayaker is a big maybe he will most likely be out of country. Second has only hammock camped once, 2 nights but she really liked it. Said she would not miss this group hang. Delia plans to be there Friday and Saturday nights both, very excited to meet everyone. So I'm glad I was lucky enough to reserve a site in Springfield :-) Please welcome Delia when she gets there late Friday night or Saturday at breakfast.
Glad you'll be there TXyakr and that you'll be hosting others as well.

My expectation is that you'll have your site assignment fairly soon, certainly before you get out there. The quote above was really directed to one who is setting up family in an adjacent area then ditching them to hang with us. :lol:

Also, this shin dig is booked and paid for from Thurs-Sun. If you get out there Wed, that's cool but I'm not sure who you'll find and you'll need to deal with the park for that extra night. In any case, I look forward to hanging with you whenever we both end up there!

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey campers!

I just got word that the final space in Springfield has been paid for and booked! What that means is if you do not already have a site, now is the time to be sending private messages to those people who have already paid for a site and have noted on the planning sheet that they're willing to share. Once you set up who you're sharing with, please post that information on the spreadsheet so we know that you are set.

The other option is to book a site directly with the park system. Cook's Ferry and the adjacent areas have close to 96 campsites but as of today only 28 sites are left for the weekend that we'll be there.

What's this mean? We're getting close to the hang and it's time to make some decisions. :)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Scuba and I are at campsite #31 and we have folks in contiguous sites, so there's plenty of room there.

And its close to the bathroom!
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:51 pm

My wife and I will need a place to hang our hats. Will help pay for some of the space. Anyone willing to let us use a few trees in the corner?
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:15 pm

hikehunter wrote:My wife and I will need a place to hang our hats. Will help pay for some of the space. Anyone willing to let us use a few trees in the corner?
We got ya covered. I have 2 sites, sarge has one, so we are good. Just look for the hammockhangers.net banner
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Return to “Texas Trips”