8th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: 8th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang

Post by UncleMJM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 pm

I had a great time seeing old friends, making some new ones, and reuniting with some who have become family. It's good to be home, at least for 20 hours before work sends me off.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures… I didn't get many.

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:44 am

Huey clan made it home safe and sound. Had a great time this weekend.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:59 am

There were a lot of people that did a lot of work to make this year's Texas Hang a success and the numbers are too many for me to mention without the risk of missing some.

Even so, I do want to thank Dave , (Old Gringo, the banker), for collecting site fees in advance and keeping us caffeinated. Rat, (Robert), for coordinating site assignments prior to our arrival and jump starting our car Sunday morning so we could go home. Mark, for giving away a lot of wonderful donated prizes after an amazing feast. And, although he couldn't make it in person, Alan, whose advance help was greatly valued and missed by many.

We ate incredibly well.

Thanks Clark, for adding a delicious Friday morning breakfast to our list of things to do again and for the finishing wax that has already been put to use. Friday breakfast was much more than the Clark and Mike show. Thank you Cindy for the fantastic biscuits and Frederick for a great job on the gravy that accompanied the main dish of the best Pancakes and hash browns I've had in ages.

Breakfast Saturday morning was a major production beginning late Friday evening and continuing prior to sun up with the kitchen set up in preparation for a major task with a small army of volunteers. They diced onions and peppers, fried bacon, chopped taters, cracked eggs, lifted and stirred heavy hot pots, served, cleaned up and fed 20 to 30 folks after the official line count of 78, so we'll call it close to 100.

I've never seen so much food at a Saturday night pot luck and everything I tried was delicious. Set up with 2 lines went great thanks to the work of Gage, Brian, and Alex and the cleanup was a snap.

Speaking of snap, thanks to Sarge for the DIY lesson on Costco quilts, Brandy for once again teaching us about plants along with Scuba for splicing, Rat for paracord work, Polkster13 for bringing yaks, and here's where my memory fades...

There were so many prizes donated that there's no way to thank everyone who offered gifts to others. Thank you all.

I'd like to encourage everyone, especially those who won prizes, to thank Paul w/ UGQ, PapaSmurf, and Scuba for their generosity and some really cool gear.

I was especially impressed with the Hammockhangers.net hospitality site with both couch and giant chair! Well done Scuba and team!

Also, please be sure to thank the fine people at Fairfield Lake State Park for their hospitality and then go back and Camp there some more and spend some money in the gift shop.

I know I've missed many and will edit this as my memory returns.

I especially want to thank my amazing wife, Cindy, for all her hard work and letting us all go play with our friends in the woods!

I look forward to next year as well as many fun times between now and then!

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:59 am

Good weekend. Got the life battery charge to hold me over thru the crazy holiday time.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Found out today my wife severely sprained he right ankle, no breaks! This will take several months to heal. I did have a successful hang on Thursday night will be adding to my foam pad, and saving to build my 45 degree under quilt and top quilt.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

SR1355
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SR1355 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:28 pm

BEST TIME EVER!!!!! Thanks to everyone for all their hard work making this event a BLAST!!!! Made it home safe after a run in with a bit of food poisoning.... Darn gas station sushi.... LOL!!!!
Paul - UGQ Outdoor Equipment
http://www.ugqoutdoor.com/

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:44 pm

SR1355 wrote:BEST TIME EVER!!!!! Thanks to everyone for all their hard work making this event a BLAST!!!! Made it home safe after a run in with a bit of food poisoning.... Darn gas station sushi.... LOL!!!!
Glad you're home safely.

I had a blast too. (Not like you experienced, thankfully… Gas station + sushi ??? What could possibly go wrong?)

It's always good to see you buddy! Thanks again for making the trek.

Return to “Texas Trips”