TRIP REPORT: 5th Annual Texas Butt Bake

Talk about upcoming camping trips and hikes here.
sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

TRIP REPORT: 5th Annual Texas Butt Bake

Post by sarge » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:39 am

Thanks to Polkster and Big Dawg for providing some of the material. I've got more, but this thing started running long. If I can figger out a sensible way of doing it, I'll do another with some of the omitted footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxxu-Z4QlN8

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mrs Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: TRIP REPORT: 5th Annual Texas Butt Bake

Post by Mrs Baby Huey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:39 am

Good job Sarge, Thank you

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks for watching!

And thanks for all the good food!
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:37 am

Fantastic, and hilarious! Looks like tons of fun despite the heat and humidity. The opposite survival challenge from a frozen butt hang, but at least cooling off in the lake helped Y'all out some!

At 9:30-10:30, you are hiking in the woods, are you like just south west of the EDIT: LAKE in the lake's drainage, and just east of the road on the west side of the map? If not, where on the map were you? ( I ask because I'm a topo map freak, weird I know! )

Bill in north MS
( several typos corrected maybe got all of them )
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:21 pm

The Lake was awesome from about 8pm til about 2pm. Late afternoon the lake was like soup, you had to actively disturb the water below the thermocline for it to not be hot.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Rich S.
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Rich S. » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:41 am

Sarge,
According to your video, the Butt Bake was supposed to represent hanging in our worst extreme local weather.
Does this mean that if we get another tropical storm coming ashore nearby that we should have a stormy, wet butt hang?
Or hurricane force winds would need to be documented with a blown butt hang?
And if we do hang in 70 kt or above winds, chow does one get in a horizontally blown hammock rather than one that normally hangs down?
What is the best rainfly/tarp and how is it anchored for 70 kt + winds?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:47 am

Challenges.

I love challenges.

Scheduling would be a bit problematic. It would have to be a spur of the moment thing.

But hey! As long Is we can have biscuits and gravy in the morning---
My You Tube Channel

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:44 pm

A butt bake can be sold to the family as an outing with bbq. a wet butt hang, not sure how I would explain that one. :?: :oops:
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Scott wins the new avatar contest.
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:34 am

BillyBob66 wrote:Fantastic, and hilarious! Looks like tons of fun despite the heat and humidity. The opposite survival challenge from a frozen butt hang, but at least cooling off in the lake helped Y'all out some!

At 9:30-10:30, you are hiking in the woods, are you like just south west of the EDIT: LAKE in the lake's drainage, and just east of the road on the west side of the map? If not, where on the map were you? ( I ask because I'm a topo map freak, weird I know! )

Bill in north MS
We are right where the track crosses the creek south of the lake, to the west of the road coming into the lake. A couple yards down the track going west, we turn north towards that smaller pond to the west of the lake. The green line on the scale below the map is the elevation change. You can see how much below the level of most of the rest of the terrain at that point. Its a pretty deep pond.
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:53 pm

sarge wrote:
BillyBob66 wrote:Fantastic, and hilarious! Looks like tons of fun despite the heat and humidity. The opposite survival challenge from a frozen butt hang, but at least cooling off in the lake helped Y'all out some!

Bill in north MS
We are right where the track crosses the creek south of the lake, to the west of the road coming into the lake. A couple yards down the track going west, we turn north towards that smaller pond to the west of the lake. The green line on the scale below the map is the elevation change. You can see how much below the level of most of the rest of the terrain at that point. Its a pretty deep pond.
Thx! Looks like I had it right except I didn't know which road you came in on, now I do. What are the small brown marks that look like railroad tracks, that go mostly SE-NW with some going west across the south end/outlet of the lake? Railroad tracks? A walk way?
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:24 pm

Those are Forest Service Roads used by loggers. There are also roads shown as double dashed lines, which are marked as FS Roads, but are largely unused. Most of them are old jeep tracks from back in the day when folks could get away with stuff like that out there. I love to explore them. Most are being reclaimed by The Creator, so I kinda feel like I'm the last guy who might tread on them.
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:31 pm

sarge wrote:Those are Forest Service Roads used by loggers. There are also roads shown as double dashed lines, which are marked as FS Roads, but are largely unused. Most of them are old jeep tracks from back in the day when folks could get away with stuff like that out there. I love to explore them. Most are being reclaimed by The Creator, so I kinda feel like I'm the last guy who might tread on them.
Man oh man, I used to love those kinds of roads using my 4WDs back in the 80s out in AZ in particular. There were almost endless tracks, unmaintained old dirt or jeep roads that we were free to travel on, through the millions of acres of FS land, either heavily forested or desert.. That was so much fun!

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:40 pm

sarge wrote:Scott wins the new avatar contest.
thank you! Just goes to show the options there. I got there the last night of a 3 night camp, and this is the spot they saved for me! Not bad at all!! :D
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Return to “Texas Trips”