ninman
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Kelty Noah 9 vs 12

Post by ninman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Hey, I just started diving into the world of Hammock camping and I have been looking at the Kelty Noah series of tarps. Does anyone have any experience with either one and which would you recommend?

I will be using it over a ENO DN.

ClovisMan
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Kelty Noah 9 vs 12

Post by ClovisMan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:04 pm

I have both. The 9 is plenty big for regular camping. The 12 is big enough to hang winter doors with. I use both over a Grand Trunk Double.
Where all the cool kids "hang".

WonderMonkey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WonderMonkey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:26 pm

If you are only going to get one get the 12' version. It will do you for year round. In time you may decide to get a smaller tarp for warm weather but better to be able to handle all seasons than just a few.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:37 pm

WonderMonkey wrote:If you are only going to get one get the 12' version. It will do you for year round. In time you may decide to get a smaller tarp for warm weather but better to be able to handle all seasons than just a few.
Good advice.

The 12 is certainly a big un.
Original HS.jpg
Not only can you go with doors for the winter, this old pic of my double hammock hang set up shows how much coverage the 12 can really give.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BlackJack
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by BlackJack » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:20 pm

To answer in short, I would go with the Noah 12. Mine is used throughout the year depending on what I am doing. Are you car camping mainly, or will you be mixing in a bit of hiking?

ninman
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by ninman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. This is going to be my multi-purpose beginner tarp, something to give us shade when out on day hikes and something to put over my hammock when I use that. Since I do two types of camping. With the family we use the 32foot travel trailer. When I want some alone time or in need of some nature I usually take my tent and put on a bunch of miles before setting up camp.

I think the 12 is what I will go with right now, then upgrade it in the future. This will give me a solid backup and will also allow me to start using it right away instead of waiting 2 - 5 weeks for some of those that where already suggested.

I have planned my first outing in Texas to Enchanted Rock with my two kids (10 and 11) in the first week of September, so I kinda need something now so I can test out the setup before we get out there. They will be sleeping on the EMS Shanty while I use the hammock.

Anyways I think the Noah 12 is the winner. I will post a review of it once I get it and tested it out. Figure it would be useful for others looking to start.

Thom
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Thom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:56 pm

I have the Noah 12 and an 8.5x8.5 tarp. The coverage of the 12 is really nice. It sure does come in handy during a storm. A smaller tarp like the Noah 9 is fine for a light rain. If I had to choose just one it would be the Noah 12 simply because it can work all year.

ninman
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by ninman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Here is my current newbie set up, going to be switching out the suspension to whoopie slings and tree huggers to help shave some weight and size.

The Noah 12 is big and I find using it in a rectangle pitch is better suited for me currently. We will see as I use it more and more.
Hammock_smaller.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tarps 'n stuff”