Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Waterproofing

Post by Scott » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:00 pm

I have a tarp we made from an old tent fly. We cut it up, rearranged it to fit the hammock better, and I really like the way it turned out. It is a little big, and probably a little heavy, but I like it. I attempted to waterproof it last summer using mineral spirits and silicon. It looked like it worked, but no. When doing the hose test, it misted, and got some drops inside. Most of the water ran off, but the mist would keep me from using it in any real rain. Since then it has been put away. Just nagging me a little to see if I can fix it.

For those who have treated a tarp this way, did you get it 100% waterproof, or did it always mist?

If waterproof, did you stretch, paint on, squeegee, whatever - - the mixture onto, into the fabric?

Do you think being a previous fly and having some treatment, then doing my treatment, it is past hope to treat well at this point?

It can work well as a mild weather fly, as a sun fly, but not as a dependable backpacking fly.

By the time I get it good, I probably could buy an entry level new tarp, I just like to play.

Any thoughts?

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Oldbiker
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Waterproofing

Post by Oldbiker » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:30 pm

About 30 year ago I had 2 of those little pup tents of the day. One orange & one green. Both leaked. I sat them up & using my buddy's spray gun, I used a gallon of Thompson's water seal. Dried them good, checked with a water hose & no leaks. Folded them up & packed them away. Next time I tried to used then they looked like they were made from cardboard squares. Smelled so bad you couldn't stay in them. For what the sealer cost me I could have bought new tents but would not have been near as much fun.

Need to dig them out one day & see if the smell has left them. I say play with your tarp. If it doesent work out you only bought a cheap lesson & still have a Sun shade.

Robert

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Waterproofing

Post by MagicPaddler » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:48 pm

If your tent had been treated with a sealer like Tompsons it will be hard to get any thing to do a good job afterwards. Tompsons leave a waxy coating. Wax is a mold release. If you could get it really clean then put on your silicone sealer I think it would work. I have used the sealer like you tried as a seam sealer and had good results on a silnylon tarp.

Return to “Tarps 'n stuff”