Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Tarp Bands for Storage

Post by Mophead » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:51 pm

Tarp skins were one of those things for me that I never really felt like they worked as well as they should considering their popularity. maybe I just did it wrong. Made these and added a plastic piece as a toggle after someone linked the dealeebobs. I can control the tarp as well in wind as with snakeskins with 3 but will probably use 4. Once I stake out the tarp I use these as water diverters on my suspension line.
Last edited by Mophead on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Tarp Bands for Storage

Post by bobamos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:10 pm

Nice idea. I saw someone use those fabric covered women's hair ties left on the line and slid over the tarp. It held it like a snake skin but only in 4 places.
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:01 am

Good idea!

I use something pretty similar, I just take loops of shock cord, (since I have a roll with a million miles on it) make a loop knotted on one end, and tie the other off into a larger knot. So I just slip it around, and feed the knot through the smaller loop. I will still be trying to make me some snakeskins, once I get another tarp made, and another hammock, etc.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:48 am

Oops looks like the pics linked disappeared. updated the links in case anyone else couldnt see them.
gmcpcs wrote:Good idea!

I use something pretty similar, I just take loops of shock cord, (since I have a roll with a million miles on it) make a loop knotted on one end, and tie the other off into a larger knot. So I just slip it around, and feed the knot through the smaller loop. I will still be trying to make me some snakeskins, once I get another tarp made, and another hammock, etc.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Thats kind of how these started out. I was using the loop and a double stevedore knot as a stopper. Someone happened to post something on the other forum about how they did it and the dealeebobs came up in that discussion. Problem I had with the stopper knot was the loop had to be smaller which made it a little more fiddly. With the plastic stopper I can enlarge the loop quite a bit and still use a lot less material overall. Somewhere along the line I started seizing the loop instead of knotting it. For usability with gloves on you could probably just make the whole thing a loop, pretty much like an un-adjustable dealeebob.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:31 am

Hey Mophead---

Can I steal this for a video? I have an idea in my noggin trying to bust its way out----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:19 pm

sarge wrote:Hey Mophead---

Can I steal this for a video? I have an idea in my noggin trying to bust its way out----
Yeah, sure. Can't wait to see the vid.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks---

The thread injector crapped out in the middle of the hammock sock vid, this might be just the thing to fill in while I figger out what's wrong
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:11 pm

Ah, Figured it must have been a slow week for these to be featured on the blog. :lol:

I used the thinnest fiber from a piece of paracord to tie a double constrictor knot to seize the loop. It helps to pull the shock cord tight when you cinch it down. There's probably a million ways to make something like this, though.

Return to “Tarps 'n stuff”