Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Questions on cordage for new Tarp

Post by Polkster13 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:55 am

Well, I bought my wife a "Penny Pincher" Winter Dream tarp from UGQ for Christmas and am now working on the suspension for it. I got it in Moroccan Blue as she likes the colors blue and green. In fact, had I known her color choices a little better I would have gotten the edging in Lime Green. I saw one of those tarps later and she really liked it. Unfortunately, hers came with black edging. I have ordered her some Lawson Reflective 2.2 mm Glowire in Lime Green for the tarp tie outs and was considering using it for the ridge line. I have also ordered her 10 Blue 18 cm Aluminum Triangular stakes (they have the orange cord on them but I am going to replace that with the Lawson Lime Green Glowire). I have also ordered two Aluminum Loop Aliens in Green to go with the Ridge Line.

Questions: What do you recommend for the doors to keep them out of the way when not in use? Is there something else that I can use for a Ridge Line that is reflective, splice-able, and in a color that is close to Moroccan Blue or Lime Green? Or should I just stick with the Lawson Glowire for the Ridge Line? All I have found so far is Red, Yellow and Gray Dyneema 2.2 mm or 1.75/1.80 mm cord. I did see that DutchWare is selling something called "Reflect It" in 2.2 mm that comes in multiple colors (including Blue and Green). Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Since this is a "Penny Pincher" tarp, it does not have pockets for a Pole Mod on the inside nor does it have Pullouts on the outside.

Questions: Does anyone else have this tarp where they have put in a Pole Mod? If so, how did you mount the poles (under or over the tarp; and how did you mount them)? Where did you get the poles (what length did you get)? I am looking for something that doesn't cost what I paid for on the tarp.

Any help is greatly appreciated and look for pics of Melinda hanging under her new tarp shortly after Christmas.

Polkster13
Reactions:

Re: Questions on cordage for new Tarp

Post by Polkster13 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:34 am

Another question: I see tarps that are using poles underneath the tarp in either a Center Pole configuration or and End Pole configuration. I have yet to see any explanation on why use one system over the other. I can see from a weight standpoint that a single pole system would be half as light in weight as two poles for an End Pole configuration. What other reasons are there for doing one system versus the other?

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm still trying to figure this husband/wife thing out since I've only been married for 30-some years but I have better luck with the whole experience when I actually ask her what she wants rather than going ahead with what I think she wants. I suppose there is no harm in also getting stakes and cordage, since the tarp cannot be used without them, but I suggest leaving the tarp setup for her.

Polkster13
Reactions:

Post by Polkster13 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:02 pm

I would but she currently has me set it up for her. She doesn't like to "diddle" with anything and will only go camping with me so I am always the one setting up everything for her (I am hoping to change that in the future-but right now I am just happy she will go hammock camping with me). She saw a tarp at the Fall Hang with an end pole setup and she liked the idea of it having more room underneath. She is very inexperienced when it comes to hammocking and currently doesn't care anything about what I get for her as long as I set it up and it is comfortable for her. She does like to pick out the colors, hence the Moroccan Blue and Lime Green setup. We have been married for 35 years and for me to get her to go camping, I have to do the lions share of work in setting up and striking the equipment. I have asked her what she wants and she says she doesn't care and left it up to me to get her rig. She started out in an ENO Doublenest, then a Yaukon Outfitters hammock and now I have her in a Dream Hammock Freebird with a structural ridgeline. I am slowly training her on how to set the hammock up and am looking for simple and elegant solutions so one day she will be able to do it herself. Since I don't use a pole mod on my tarp, I have questions regarding those kits. Since she is wanting those colors (not ones I would have picked), I have found limited success in what to use for a ridge line, hence the questions on where I can get line in those colors.

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:03 pm

The internal pole mod is stronger and creates more room than the pullouts. Neither is a necessity, but a nice-ety. I would stick with the lawson glow wire. Not spliceable, but I did see that Paul had sewn his loops and then used heatshrink tubing to clean it up. I liked it and am going to copy it on my tarps. You being into electrical work should have no problem with the heat shrink tubing.

As for the door question, Paul has a connector on his website for using the doors, but for keeping them out of the way i suggest instead of regular tie out using 3/32 shockcord since it makes opening the doors while in use easier. Just tie them together if not using them. Litesmith.com has reflective shockcord that I really like.

Also, realistically, does Melinda ever go with you out in inclement weather or is she a fair weather camper? If the latter, no pole mod really necessary as she will most likely have it in porch mode 99% of the time with her trekking poles. If the former, a pole mode is an easy add on, but I sent mine back to Paul and Missy cuz I screw up "easy". I'll try and remember to take a picture of it so you can see how its done. Not sure on pole sizes, but the poles will cost more than what you paid for the tarp if you go with the double mod. Paul sells them for $90.

The tarp will be a nice Christmas surprise for her.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Polkster13 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:02 pm
I would but she currently has me set it up for her.
You are well ahead of me then.

If weight isn't an issue I'd go along with the suggestion of using shock cord for the doors, and also tying them together (front to back on each side) to keep them out of the way. You might want to put a loop on one and a hook on the other at the right spots for tying the two lines together.

Polkster13
Reactions:

Post by Polkster13 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:44 pm

I just saw a YouTube video on using two lengths of shock cord with mitten hooks on each end. This allows you to hook two of the doors together with the shock cord either on the inside or the outside of the tarp. I think I would prefer inside the tarp as it would allow you to close off the doors without going outside-say in the event that a storm comes up in the middle of the night and you want to close the doors.

Here's a link to his YouTube Video.

I still don't get the difference between using two internal poles (end-pole) versus one pole (center-pole). I have searched Google and YouTube and cannot find any information comparing the two methods. Any help to give insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Polkster13
Reactions:

Post by Polkster13 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:49 pm

As far as camping in inclement weather, we have had storms come up and Melinda has fled to the Jeep to wait out the storm because she didn't feel like the tarp that she currently has would provide adequate shelter for her in a downpour, especially if there is any wind involved. I am hoping that the new tarp with the doors will give her a lot more coverage and make her feel more secure. It will also give her a lot more privacy when changing clothes.

Return to “Tarps 'n stuff”