Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Dynaglide Knot Suspension

Post by Mophead » Mon May 16, 2016 4:10 pm

I've been working on improving my knot based suspension using amsteel leads and dynaglide end loops, but nothing seemed to work. Plus what I was trying were some pretty intricate things based off of a Carrick bend. I would really like the result to be able to be easily tied in the bite (quick and no pulling a long working end around or through loops) and ALWAYS easy to release (non jamming). My last knot was TIB but could jam. The knot ksbcrocks came up with didn't jam but could not be easily TIB.

Recently I decided to go back to strap end loops for experimentation and replaced the dynaglide loops with some loops of mule tape loops. That's a 4x the weight increase but would be worth it for me if it met both requirements.

Managed to come up with two knots which actually held with Dynaglide!which more than made up for the increased weight in end loops. Both have held without jamming no matter how much bouncing and have been easy to untie. But I am thinking the second one is going to be better in terms of long term wear and maybe slightly more strength. Here it is:

First tie a becket hitch

Form a bite in the the left over cord and pass it around the mule tape then through the first loop you formed tying the becket hitch
ImageImage

Pull this tight and you are done:

I have noticed a tiny bit of fraying on the mule tape but not excessive. This is the only downside so far. I am going to give this a proper test this weekend on a three day trip and if all goes well there again during Memorial Day weekend. Mule tape loops are formed with a double fishermans bend to make ~5in Dia. finished loops. I'd like to end up sewing loops to cut down in the amount of mule tape used.
Last edited by Mophead on Mon May 16, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reactions:

Re: Dynaglide Knot Suspension

Post by Guest » Sun May 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Trip was interesting. Ended up bringing my dog last minute due to a variety of circumstances. She's never been tarp or hammock camping so not a good a good scenario shaping up for a test of this sort but had no other choice.

I set up the dynaglide on the head end. As a backup I tied a Becker hitch with mule tape loosely on behind it. In case the dynaglide broke through the night the mule tape would catch.
[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016052 ... 10df55.jpg[/IMG]

First night all was fine until my 90lbs lab climbed on to me in hammock. Over three hundred pounds and the dynaglide broke but not at the knot... It was the eye splice. Did it with a locked brummel because I was lazy and did it before leaving rather than stitching.

Second night had a blow out in the hammock. First time in about 5 years I had to go to ground. Go figure. Testing will continue once I see up this hexon I've had sitting around.
[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016052 ... 48034b.jpg[/IMG]

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Sun May 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Trip was interesting. Ended up bringing my dog last minute due to a variety of circumstances. She's never been tarp or hammock camping so not a good a good scenario shaping up for a test of this sort but had no other choice.

I set up the dynaglide on the head end. As a backup I tied a Becker hitch with mule tape loosely on behind it. In case the dynaglide broke through the night the mule tape would catch.

First night all was fine until my 90lbs lab climbed on to me in hammock. Over three hundred pounds and the dynaglide broke but not at the knot... It was the eye splice. Did it with a locked brummel because I was lazy and did it before leaving rather than stitching.

Second night had a blow out in the hammock. First time in about 5 years I had to go to ground. Go figure. Testing will continue once I see up this hexon I've had sitting around.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun May 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Dang. What caused the blowout?
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon May 23, 2016 9:17 am

Not sure. Could have been a zipper on the back of my hiking pants poked through. Or my butt pad might of had a tiny rock or something stuck on it from using it on the ground. Leaning toward the second because I don't think I was hanging off the pad.

The hammock was a bit of an experiment,too. It was supposed to be a shorter hammock with a asym shaped "foot box" without causing increased tension in the sides. Didn't quite work that way in practice and the sides were slightly tight. That might have contributed to the failure. Made from cheap 1.1 rip stop it wasn't a huge loss. I just need to find time to whip up a new one before this weekend.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Dynaglide Knot Suspension

Post by Mophead » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am

Back with a new hammock and some refinement to the previous knot method.

Stitched up a 1.0 hexon hammock with sewn mule tape loops. And here is a vid of how I am tying the knot. The knot is unchanged but it became difficult to cinch the knot completely now that the mule tape is not as slick as when it was new.

http://youtu.be/bkj_t0X3aJ8

The important thing to remember is to bring the tag end around the continuous loop before putting it through the Becket hitch loop. This effectively gives you two wraps behind the becket hitch and the necessary tension to hold in amsteel and dynaglide.

Dynaglide has not failed yet, however I unsure how it will fare as of now with long term use. I am 225 and can see a tiny bit of slip entering the hammock until the knot fully tightens with the DG. This results in a little bunching of the weave which appears to stretch back out once it's used again, but time will tell. The knot so far is jam proof even with dynaglide. It is a little awkward untying while holding the camera but no matter how long the amsteel is loaded it releases like butter. Dynaglide is a little tougher in comparison but still easy.

It's possible that this knot will work with dynaglide or amsteel CL as opposed to mule tape especially if you are using an amsteel suspension leader off your tree strap.

Return to “Suspension”