Chadburk
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Zing It

Post by Chadburk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm trying to create an ultra light set up. I bought 180 feet of Zing It and made some continuous loops and whoopie slings. I removed all the hardware on an old hammock I had and rigged up the Zing It suspension. I know it's rated for only 600 pound test but it worked great with the whole set up less than 1 pound. Have any of you gone out camping like this? Before a bunch of people jump on me about OSHA Standards I did a few calculations and I can actually have some ideas on spreading the load out. I don't think I will need to because with 2 lines my weight is spread over 2 sets of Zing It. Anyway just seeing if anyone else has had similar thoughts.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Zing It

Post by sarge » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:36 pm

I'd still go with Amsteel for the whoopies. The weight savings between Amsteel and Zing it just isn't worth the cha ce of suspension failure in the field.

YMMV
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

ClovisMan
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by ClovisMan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:39 pm

If a Chadburk falls in the woods at 3 in the morning, does he make a a sound?
Where all the cool kids "hang".

Chadburk
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Chadburk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:49 pm

Lol! I make plenty of sound, trust me. In all seriousness, Amsteel is 3 times heavier than Zingit. You can double Zing It and save 30% weight and have 1300 pound test on each side of hammock. If I fall from that, i shouldn't be hammocking. I'm no strict gram counter but I'm just testing out ideas.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Hang your hang. I understand the desire to see how light you can go, but for me, I tend to go for redundancy.

At the last hang, i had both of my tree straps fray and then rip (the quality of the straps was visibly inferior to another set of straps i had) but i had a set of backups i always carry ready to go.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:50 pm

I personally would not use Zing-it for anything other than tarp guy lines but HYOH. If Zing-it is the way that you roll, more power to you. At 600 lbs that's good for a static load without any horizontal forces applied, and that's all I know about physics. Just don't go hanging at angles less than 30*. I would also have concern about it cutting through tree huggers but that's opinion, not anything I've tested.

Yes you do save a bit of weight and bulk over amsteel, but for me 7/64 amsteel is the way to go.

You could split the difference between Zing-it and amsteel by going with Dynaglide.

Regardless of the suspension, if you go with the mantra of never hanging higher than you're willing to fall, you'll probably make it.

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:39 am

I would much rather use dynaglide than two sets of zing it.

Chadburk
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Chadburk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Ksbcrocks, I agree with you. I'm just experimenting and having fun working the strands. I have the whoopie slings down to a science as well as other loops. I was surprised at how easy they were to make. I've made several continuous loops to use as prusiks for more ridge line and tarp suspension. Honestly that is the main thing I will use zing it for but I'm just tinkering. Thanks everyone for the comments and the thoughts!

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Is the weight rating for a static load or dynamic load? One should know what the differences are. Either way, I want any device to function properly under reasonably expected conditions.

Thom
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Thom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:50 am

I've hung plenty of times with a set of Dynaglide whoopie slings. If you are 175 pounds and under I think Zing-it would work ok. I still like to err on the side of caution and use Amsteel for serious hanging.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:12 pm

Ksbcrocks wrote:I would much rather use dynaglide than two sets of zing it.
I was wondering if there was an "in-between"...

I personally can't stomach going small enough for zing it, but am curious to start going lighter. I've been watching Sarge Rock's (Why is it hard to spell sergeant) videos about his ghost hammock, and am intrigued.

On a similar note, the last time I was hanging, I reached up to fiddle with my "adjustable zing it" ridgeline, and while I was in the hammock, it started sliding apart, going longer; Not a pleasant feeling.

Keep experimenting and keep us in the loop :)

Take it easy,
gmcpcs
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Thom
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Thom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:04 am

I really like Dynaglide for ridgelines. It's not as slippery as Amsteel or Zing-it.

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:52 am

UncleMJM wrote:I personally would not use Zing-it for anything other than tarp guy lines but HYOH. If Zing-it is the way that you roll, more power to you. At 600 lbs that's good for a static load without any horizontal forces applied, and that's all I know about physics. Just don't go hanging at angles less than 30*. I would also have concern about it cutting through tree huggers but that's opinion, not anything I've tested.

Yes you do save a bit of weight and bulk over amsteel, but for me 7/64 amsteel is the way to go.

You could split the difference between Zing-it and amsteel by going with Dynaglide.

Regardless of the suspension, if you go with the mantra of never hanging higher than you're willing to fall, you'll probably make it.
The angle is KEY! less than 30 degrees and the tension on the suspension cord goes up significantly! Some calculators online will demonstrate this or just use math and calculate it yourself.

Also the combined weight of yourself and your gear, the weathering of the cordage over time, fraying of the line, and the loss of strength due to the hitch (whoopie, locked brummel loop etc.) about 20% minimum be could be as much as 50%. So over time 600 pounds of tension could drop to under 200 pounds.

Thus Dynaglide starting at 1000 pounds may be a better choice if you can keep your weight plus gear under 200 pounds total and angle never less than 30 degrees and replace suspension cord often, like every 30 hangs. Avoid hanging in direct sunlight for extended periods of time etc.

Extra weight of Dynaglide is not much.

New England Ropes DynaGlide Specs:
5/64" or 2mm diameter, 0.1 lbs/100ft, 1000 lbs Tensile strength
http://www.neropes.com/Datasheets/ARB_dynaglide.pdf

Samsonrope Zing-it or Lash-it is about the same diameter but weaker:
1/16" or 1.75 mm diameter 500 lbs Tensile strength
3/32" or 2.2 mm diameter 650 lbs Tensile strength

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product ... ductID=811

Not certain what 2.2 mm Zing-it weighs per 1000 linear feet but I think it actually weighs more than dynaglide 2mm cord, if cost and availability are not an issue Dyanglide makes more sense than Zing-it for hammock suspension to me personally but hang your own hang. Personally I find dyneema cord and Whoopie slings irritating/slow to adjust and only use them when going ultra light, full webbing straps and buckles for human/hammock suspension all other times, dyneema for tarp is fine.

Most important thing is just don't hang very far off the ground or on the edge of a steep hill side or cliff, common sense a fall of 24" typically only injures very old people with brittle bones most of the time. But you could be the exception. I have fallen 20' and not broken bones, but was lucky, hurt my ego very badly however. At 50 I should probably not be climbing trees as much or use a safety harness.

Edit: Dynaglide (2mm dia) is specified as 0.1 pounds per 100 feet or about 0.016 ounces per foot
as best as I can determine:
1.75 mm dia Zing-it is 0.025 ounces per foot so it weights more and is only specified for about half the tensile strength.

http://briangreen.net/2011/01/cord-weig ... isons.html

This does not seem quite right, but if it is true Dynaglide is by far the best choice for ultra light backpacking suspension for your hammock. However, I remain skeptical about that 0.025 oz/ft spec from Brian green's web site.
Calculating weigh from a specific gravity number is not easy... .98 specific gravity of Zing-it? I will not show the math, long and boring...

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Boring math, may have made a mistake

Post by TXyakr » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:03 am

Always dangerous to do math in public, because a person can make a simple mistake or false assumption etc. but this may be helpful to a few, but most will understandably ignore it as boring....

From Sampsonrope dot com specification Zing-it/Lash-it cord specific gravity is 0.98

By definition 0.98 specific gravity is 0.0354047 lb/cubic inches or convert from S.G. to lb/cu. in. multiply by 0.036127292

Just use this web page and skip that math for that conversion:
http://www.calculator.org/property.aspx ... ic+gravity

Volume of one foot of 1.75mm (1/16") Zing-it is squared radius by pi by length (r2 pi X L)

(1/32")(1/32")3.14 X 12" = 0.0368155 cubic inches

Weight of 1 foot of Zing-it (1.75mm) = 0.0354047 lb/cu.in. X 0.0368155 cu. in. = 0.001303443 lbs

or 0.020855 ounces per foot or 0.130 pounds/100 feet
This is about 30% more heavy than the 0.1 lb/100 feet specified by New England Rope for 2mm Dynaglide which is about twice as strong.

Dyanglide is 0.016 oz/foot according to their published specification (0.1 lb/100 feet converted)

So my question is why is Zing-it and Lash-it so popular with hammock hangers who want to go light wieght?

Perhaps I made an error in my calculations or they just like the colors or diameter better, or it is more available? I must be missing something... I read a thread on a different hammock forum that said the only real difference was color but from an objective scientific view this does not appear to be true. I also noticed that science based comments are not welcomed there.

Edit: More nerdy math/science stuff how to calculate specific gravity or weight of cord versus water which is known to be 1.0 at 4 degrees C (39.2oF) which is the point at which pure water is the highest density.

1000 kg/cubic meter = 0.036127 lb/cubic inch

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water ... d_595.html

dutchweargear dot com lists 25 feet of zing-it (1.75mm) as weighing 12.9 grams while 25 feet of Dynaglide (1.8mm) weighing 19.61 grams. Probably best to weigh it yourself and test it yourself for strength. Obviously never hang higher than you can safely fall from even if your cord/straps are rated at 5000 pounds or more. Always possible you slip and stumble as you get out in the middle of the night to pee or something like that... avoid steep slopes etc.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Zing It

Post by Mophead » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:08 pm

This video was what convinced me to go ahead and use dynaglide: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWRiLWd9TPE

When I was around 215lbs I used dynaglide ucrs and had no failures. More recently I use amsteel knot suspensions to dynaglide continuous loops. One loop I used was frayed more than half way through and I used it two nights before it finally broke testing different knots in my back yard.

What we really need to know is the maximum force a hammock suspension will typically see. Based off of calculations and knots I've tied... some that work and some that break... I'd guess the typical hammock suspension gets about 650lbs of force max from a 200lbs person. But this is assuming a lot of things. I don't know what the exact percentage of remaining strength after the knots are tied... And assuming the person sits carefully into the hammock. Just throwing this out as a ball park figure.

Edit: just noticed this thread was from 2015. Oops.

Return to “Suspension”