Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Indoor Hanging in a Rental Property

Post by gmcpcs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm interested in ideas on hanging indoors, without drilling into the studs, walls, etc.

I've hung using a turtle dog indoors, when I had lots of floor space. I've also drilled into the header studs and used porch swing anchors in a house I've owned, which was my preferred method. (Plan B if the landlord doesn't mind, patch the holes when I move out :-) )

I would like to be able to have the stand be "flush to the wall" or close enough that it doesn't take up room space, including avoiding a low hanging solid pole ridge if possible. I can unhook one side of the hammock to store during the day.

I'm relatively heavy, and would be using an 11' gathered end hammock, various ways to add the suspension can be done, like continuous loops, whoopies, etc. DIY

The distances from end to end would be like a standard bedroom, at least 14' or so.

Are there any ideas out there? It has to look relatively nice and not so much a "hillbilly/red neck" version, sorry if that offends...Significant Other would have to approve.

Thanks!

Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Indoor Hanging in a Rental Property

Post by GregD » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:42 pm

3 ideas for a turtle dog setup:
1. Make the stands tall so the rod can be stored on the stands but well overhead.
2. Store the rod along the baseboard of one wall.
3. Store a 2 piece rod standing in the corner.

Driving a screw or nail more than 1-1/2" into the wall (1" into the stud) does run some risk of hitting unprotected wires or pipes if the wall is constructed to the building code that my city uses. So if you were going to consider using large anchors screwed into the wall (to eliminate the ridge pole) you may want to consider screwing a section of 2x6 (or 10 or 12) to the studs using multiple screws that will go only 1" into the studs (3" if you drive them flush). The tie-off would be an eye bolt that threads into a T nut on the back side of this support.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:21 pm

I used 2 3' pieces of heavy duty unistrut with rated eye bolts and the matching unistrut washers. That allowed me to hit 3 studs with smaller lag bolts to spread the load out and leave holes that were small and easy to patch. I don't know what load this method would be rated at but I never had any creaking or cracking and there were no signs of anything coming loose or showing stress over 2 years of regular use.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:40 pm

I'd recommend you use the general concept behind the Turtle Dog stand, but take advantage of the fact that it doesn't need to be portable. If you were to cut 3 sections of 2x10 and create a frame that bridges your two walls across the ceiling. That provides the same type of support that a Turtle Dog does. If you can drill a few holes to studs then you're done. If you can't, then you'll likely need some bracing at the corners. To signify that I added a couple of orange triangles to indicate places you may need to brace.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 7.30.00 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:24 am

brianb2 wrote:If you can drill a few holes to studs then you're done. If you can't, then you'll likely need some bracing at the corners. To signify that I added a couple of orange triangles to indicate places you may need to brace.
My guess is that this will only work if you run another piece along the floor. Because of the distance from the hammock attachment points and the "ridge pole" along the ceiling, that "ridge pole" accomplishes very little. The reason the turtle ridge pole works is that the hammock attaches directly to it, putting it in approximately simple compression.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:14 am

That's what I was thinking.

At the floor, you put a flat base running against the wall a foot or two on either side of the post, with another on the floor between both posts, and the ridge pole across the top. Run a diagonal brace from the ends of the base plate up to the post, and another from the post to the long floor plate.

Think of the framing of an old mortise and tenon barn structure, then turn it upside down:

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:02 am

Being an owner of multiple rental properties I will say this...

If you want to do anything other than hang a picture, you had better talk to the landlord first. Moat lease agreements state that any alteration proposal must be made in writing. The lost of your deposit is at risk. Distruction of private property charges could also be posible.

The turtle dog stand is your best bet if you rent. If you own the place do as you see fit.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:46 pm

I like Brianb2's free standing frame idea this is what I prefer with a board as suggested by GregD to distribute the weight on the floor, especially if there is carpet. I would probably add some felt pads touching the walls or try not to touch the walls at all. It is my experience that even a bed frame leaves an ugly mark, felt or not. As far as renter's deposit most landlords are going to keep it and they should, almost every renter causes damage regardless of how careful they are. That's just living, my teenage daughters tear up my house I don't yell at them its part of being a kid, just glad they aren't boys, ha ha ha THAT would really be expensive, but fun...

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Brianb2, you and Sarge had great drawings, and that was the thought I was having, how to do sort of an indoor frame, but not be constantly tripping over it.

Hikehunter, you are absolutely correct, in that I do not want to cause structural damage to any property, which I would be risking, I think, by attaching anything to the wall studs, or roof studs through the sheetrock, etc. Unless I have seen the wall construction, and how the studs tie in to the top and bottom plates, I would be leery of a wall stud anchor system. (Although I will look up the unistrut, Idahohanger)

I am wondering if I could tone down the dimension lumber from 2X10, to maybe 2x4 on the verticals, and a 2x2 on the horizontal/ceiling ridge pole? If I stained and varnished the wood, it would kinda look like a piece of furniture :-) (Maybe with a couple long sheetrock screws to hold it to the wall, like a picture frame...)

Keep the ideas coming,

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Rich S.
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Rich S. » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:43 am

"Keep the ideas coming..."
My first apartment ended up with small holes in the walls that hung pictures etc.
Filled the holes with toothpaste before leaving, it was really close to the white paint and blended right in. Very hard to notice.
That's the background.
My approach would be to make up 2 H shaped pieces of 2x4s with the vertical legs at 16" on center to match common stud spacing.
Say 18" tall by 19.5" wide with a horizontal 2x4 centered and thoroughly fastened to the vertical members.
Eyebolt for the hammock suspension thru the horizontal center memeber.
About 2" from both top and bottom ends of the verticals, drill holes for say 1/4" lag bolts.
To install, center the verticals over the studs, drill holes into the wall studs, and tighten lag bolts.
Thus, the load is spread out to 2 wall studs and 4 lag screws/bolts.
The biggest problem would probably be what to put between the H-frame and the wall to eliminate wall surface damage and the substance sticking to the wall surface (causing texturing to peel off during removal.)
Was thinking layer of thin nylon cloth with 1/4 closed foam between the wall and the H-frame.
The lag bolts would compress the foam, hopefully the nylon would eliminate any sticking to the wall surface.
Hope this makes sense.

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:34 am

gmcpcs wrote:Thanks for all the great ideas!

Brianb2, you and Sarge had great drawings, and that was the thought I was having, how to do sort of an indoor frame, but not be constantly tripping over it.

Hikehunter, you are absolutely correct, in that I do not want to cause structural damage to any property, which I would be risking, I think, by attaching anything to the wall studs, or roof studs through the sheetrock, etc. Unless I have seen the wall construction, and how the studs tie in to the top and bottom plates, I would be leery of a wall stud anchor system. (Although I will look up the unistrut, Idahohanger)

I am wondering if I could tone down the dimension lumber from 2X10, to maybe 2x4 on the verticals, and a 2x2 on the horizontal/ceiling ridge pole? If I stained and varnished the wood, it would kinda look like a piece of furniture :-) (Maybe with a couple long sheetrock screws to hold it to the wall, like a picture frame...)

Keep the ideas coming,

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
There may be some structural engineering reference guidelines out there about the compression strength of 2x4" studs, ask someone who works building construction, don't just Google it. But this will vary a lot over so many different grades of lumber, so I would just carefully select out the best quality studs with no knots for both strength and appearance as furniture elements as you mentioned. 2X2 as the above compression horizontal beam would concern me. Stress analysis calculations that I have seen for this show a lot of force there, I do not recall the number but it was about the same as the vertical beams and weight of the person in the hammock. 2x2" on all beams "may??" work but personally, I always beef it up assuming a bunch of my "under tall" friends will come over sometime for a party and all sit in the hammock at the same time while I am busy doing something in the kitchen or watching the game etc. and they will say "sorry dude we had no idea that your hammock and frame would not hold up all 3 -4 of us and our combined 1000 lbs... bye now." Your friends and kids may actually listen to you however, so perhaps better luck.

I don't intend to be picking on anyone but tooth paste in a hole is just unethical, "What would Jesus say?" Save a little paint chip take it to HW store get paint mixed to match. Then use whatever they recommend at HW store to properly patch wall so when it dries it is not super obvious later and the property owner does not curse our religion and everything you said about Jesus, Buddha, Mohammad, Darwin or whatever. Paint over at least 2 coats with best paint match possible. Bottom line forget about getting your deposit back if you have kids, pets, or had any parties there with friends like mine... ha ha ha They are knuckle heads but Jesus loves them anyway, not sure why...

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:36 am

TXyakr wrote:
gmcpcs wrote:Thanks for all the great ideas!

Keep the ideas coming,

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
There may be some structural engineering reference guidelines out there about the compression strength of 2x4" studs, ask someone who works building construction, don't just Google it. But this will vary a lot over so many different grades of lumber, so I would just carefully select out the best quality studs with no knots for both strength and appearance as furniture elements as you mentioned. 2X2 as the above compression horizontal beam would concern me. Stress analysis calculations that I have seen for this show a lot of force there, I do not recall the number but it was about the same as the vertical beams and weight of the person in the hammock. 2x2" on all beams "may??" work but personally, I always beef it up assuming a bunch of my "under tall" friends will come over sometime for a party and all sit in the hammock at the same time while I am busy doing something in the kitchen or watching the game etc. and they will say "sorry dude we had no idea that your hammock and frame would not hold up all 3 -4 of us and our combined 1000 lbs... bye now." Your friends and kids may actually listen to you however, so perhaps better luck.

I don't intend to be picking on anyone but tooth paste in a hole is just unethical, "What would Jesus say?" Save a little paint chip take it to HW store get paint mixed to match. Then use whatever they recommend at HW store to properly patch wall so when it dries it is not super obvious later and the property owner does not curse your religion and everything you said about Jesus, Buddha, Mohammad, Darwin or whatever. Paint over at least 2 coats with best paint match possible. Bottom line forget about getting your deposit back if you have kids, pets, or had any parties there with friends like mine... ha ha ha They are knuckle heads but Jesus loves them anyway, not sure why...

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Indoor Hanging in a Rental Property

Post by brianb2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:45 am

Hey, I built a stand for a hang I was attending where so many folks showed up all the trees were taken. Here are some photos. I can send you a Sketchup model if that helps.

Took about 3-4 hours to build with basic hand tools and $30-35 worth of materials. Might get away from your original goal, but also might spur on other ideas. First shows how it folds down for travel. Maybe you could re-engineer it to fold flat and hand on the wall during the day.

Good luck

Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Post by pofloyd1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks for the pix this is just what we were looking for. Is it 2 x 4s and is that a rod connected to the uprights ?

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Is the free standing pipe stand 'hillbilly"? :-)

I did not see it mentioned yet. Maybe I missed it. The ridgepole could be up next to the ceiling, pipes flush to walls, paint to match walls?

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/port ... ipe-stand/
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Return to “Suspension”