tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Re: Indoor Hanging in a Rental Property

Post by tangara » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm using a stand inside made of 1" electrical conduit. I bought corner (30 degree slope) fittings for those tarp canopies online somewhere a couple years ago, along with a straight connector for the top bar, mainly because I thought I might occasionally need to travel with the stand collapsed. It took the three fittings, which cost about $13, plus 3 conduits, which were about $6 each. I already had vinyl caps for the legs. I intended to paint it, but never got around to it, 'cause I'm not that much into aesthetics. I worried that the fittings might not hold up to the stress, but so far so good. I probably sleep in it about half the time and I don't see any trouble yet. It looks like a mini swing set.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:43 pm

tangara wrote:I'm using a stand inside made of 1" electrical conduit. I bought corner (30 degree slope) fittings for those tarp canopies online somewhere a couple years ago, along with a straight connector for the top bar, mainly because I thought I might occasionally need to travel with the stand collapsed. It took the three fittings, which cost about $13, plus 3 conduits, which were about $6 each. I already had vinyl caps for the legs. I intended to paint it, but never got around to it, 'cause I'm not that much into aesthetics. I worried that the fittings might not hold up to the stress, but so far so good. I probably sleep in it about half the time and I don't see any trouble yet. It looks like a mini swing set.
I'd like to see a picture of this :}
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Hate to send you to the other hammock site, but there's a great thread on a simple stand that might be a good fit for you. You've got lots of options. That pipe stand could easily fold up when not in use.

Super simple, strong, fairly cheap, very quick bipod style stand.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/sho ... p?t=114799
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Send people to any site you wish. What we're about here is spreading knowledge, not restricting it.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

brianb2
Reactions:

Post by brianb2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:58 pm

sarge wrote:Send people to any site you wish. What we're about here is spreading knowledge, not restricting it.
Cheers. Not sure that same attitude exists on the other site. I'll leave it at that so we don't hijack this thread.
Trail Name = Beans

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:07 am

Thanks Brian,

I did see that one, and I really like the one you built from 2x4s. :)

If you decide to do the sketch up plan, I'll save it for future reference. <Big grin>

I'm still thinking on this, and the swingset plan from hammock forums looks like it might be just that, an indoor swingset. Unless I was to paint it...great for outside, when there's no trees. It looks like a hammeck stand...
http://www.hammeck.com/store.html#!/Ham ... y=13535026

The talk about compression forces makes me want to do a composite build with the pipe being the ridgeline very close to the ceiling and the wooden parts being the stand along the sides of the wall.

Anyway, I'm still in the thinking and planning stage and all the ideas are great and keep them coming!

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

brianb2
Reactions:

Post by brianb2 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:12 am

I'm skiing in WV this weekend, but will send you my Sketchup model next I'm at my laptop.
Trail Name = Beans

brianb2
Reactions:

Post by brianb2 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:50 am

gmcpcs wrote:Thanks Brian, If you decide to do the sketch up plan, I'll save it for future reference. <Big grin>
Hey, I can't upload the sketchup file here. I think the site has a filter that only allows for image files to be uploaded. Makes sense. PM me your email address and I'll shoot over the file. I'm headed to a hang here in NC this weekend, but will be back on Sunday night.
Trail Name = Beans

kira10
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by kira10 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:18 am

gmcpcs wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm interested in ideas on hanging indoors, without drilling into the studs, walls, etc.

I've hung using a turtle dog indoors, when I had lots of floor space. I've also drilled into the header studs and used porch swing anchors in a house I've owned, which was my preferred method. (Plan B if the
Private Landlords that accept DSS doesn't mind, patch the holes when I move out :-) )

I would like to be able to have the stand be "flush to the wall" or close enough that it doesn't take up room space, including avoiding a low hanging solid pole ridge if possible. I can unhook one side of the hammock to store during the day.

I'm relatively heavy, and would be using an 11' gathered end hammock, various ways to add the suspension can be done, like continuous loops, whoopies, etc. DIY

The distances from end to end would be like a standard bedroom, at least 14' or so.

Are there any ideas out there? It has to look relatively nice and not so much a "hillbilly/red neck" version, sorry if that offends...Significant Other would have to approve.

Thanks!
HI
I'd recommend you use the general concept behind the Turtle Dog stand, but take advantage of the fact that it doesn't need to be portable.

leanjow
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by leanjow » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 am

tangara wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:16 pm
I'm using a stand inside made of 1" electrical conduit. I bought corner (30 degree slope) fittings for those tarp canopies online somewhere a couple years ago, along with a straight connector for the top bar, mainly because I thought I might occasionally need to travel with the stand collapsed. It took the three fittings, which cost about $13, plus 3 conduits, which were about $6 each. I already had vinyl caps for the legs. I intended to paint it, but never got around to it, 'cause I'm not that much into aesthetics. I worried that the fittings might not hold up to the stress, but so far so good. I probably sleep in it about half the time and I don't see any trouble yet. It looks like a mini swing set.
Hi
I think it's against the rental property agreement to change anything in rental property without the permission of the landlord.

Crabby1313
Reactions:
Hammock: Hennessy
Tarp: Hennessy Hex
Suspension:
Insulation: Hennessy SS

Post by Crabby1313 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:09 am

Hmmm....Don't have any good "hangin trees" in my back yard. Will try this and see if my wife wants one too....

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MagicPaddler » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:43 am

Sometimes one idea spurs another so here is what I do for a temporary stand in my garage. I have a ridge pole similar to a turtle dog stand. I set it on 2 aluminum folding step ladder. One of the ladders is a little short so the pole sets on top of that ladder. To keep the pole from sliding off of that ladder there is a clamp on both sides of the pole.

Return to “Suspension”