ezadventurer
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Continuous Loops

Post by ezadventurer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:42 pm

Watched a video recently on continuous loops to remind me of the proper bury length for the tails. Saw something new and it made me wonder if it was better or more prone to pull out. The normal method of passing the tails through each other is done, but then the video has the bury begin right at the hole where it is passed through. Typically, it was always said to bury close to the hole to prevent something catching the bury and pulling it out. When I saw this one that went back in the hole, I was unsure if this would hold as much weight prior to pulling out. Wondering if there are any experts here with a theory.

What I do find interesting is that Samson does not really give any guidance for the 7/64 amsteel that I can find. All the literature is mostly for 12 strand. I am still going ahead with the 7/64.

I actually have less hesitation with zing it since I do not use it to hold up the hammock and hammocker. By the way, don't tell my wife about this continuous loop question when you see her at Fairfield. This is for her hammock . I need her confident in the design.

PointPastor
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Sector 7 11'
Tarp: Yukon walk about
Suspension: whoppies
Insulation: DIY FrankenQuilt

Re: Continuous Loops

Post by PointPastor » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:34 am

For what is worth and keep in mind I would not refer to myself as an expert. When I make continuous loops, 7/64 amsteel, I run my bury into the hole like you saw in the video. I have been using some made like this on my diy hammock with about twenty hangs now with no slipping or pull out. In contrast the continuous loops on my yukon hammock, also 7/64 amsteel, have the bury just past the hole and the bury has slightly pulled out over time. The buried back in the hole method also seems to look more finished to me, not that looks are important if it means you end up laying on the ground abruptly at 3 am.

So in my experience either method will work provided you make the bury the proper length.
Romans 1:16

ezadventurer
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by ezadventurer » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks PointPastor. I was fairly certain that a little extra bury would take care of any issues, but I am quite pedantic. I'll bury right back in the hole.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:36 am

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Return to “Suspension”