Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Shaving Weight Off My Hammock

Post by Abner » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:00 pm

When I received my hammock it came with a suspension that included S hooks and straps.
I've ordered Mule Tape and Amsteel Woopies slings to replace the rope and straps.
As of now I don't plan to replace any hardware. I plan to use marlin spikes, and larks heads.

Like to have some comments from the experienced and smart folks,

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Re: Shaving Weight Off My Hammock

Post by brianb2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Do some research on the becket hitch. I no longer use hardware or the Marlin spike hitch.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Abner » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:21 pm

The becket is much like the boy scout sheet bend and it will be good to use. Glad to know I'm not the only one to consider leaving the metal out of my suspension.

brianb2
Reactions:

Post by brianb2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Check out Sgt Rocks videos on YouTube. He's got one titled "sub one pound hammock" or something like that. Lots of good ideas there.
Trail Name = Beans

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:07 pm

You don't have to search very far:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=275&p=1572#p1572
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:19 pm

Working on getting weight down all the time. I'd like to get the metal out but I do find ways it works so well I cannot always get it out. The Slippery Sheet Bend/Becket hitch with mule tape is probably about the easiest suspension I've ever used and it is pretty darn light.

Right now I am playing with a lighter suspension, but to give an idea of the margins I am shaving: This summer I went with a 1/2 mule tape suspension using the slippery sheet bend and my suspension for both sides total was only 1.81 ounces. Very easy and very reliable.

Now I'm using some exotic kevlar straps with dynaglide and toggles which I still don't trust but it gets my suspension weight down to 1.16 ounces. Not so easy and reliability has not been tested.
No Sniveling!

Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Abner » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:27 am

SGT Rock: How long are your mule tape straps?

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 am

It depends on the diameter of the trees, but often you can just find smaller ones, or use low branches of smaller diameter if your webbing strap is only 2-4' long does not go all the way around just attach amsteel/dynaglide cord anyway releave stress on bark (which should be thick and tough) with vertical sticks. Therefore IMO length of dyneema cord is most critical in whatever form whoopie or other. Or just all mule tape depending on your body weight and final pack weight goal. Many different hitches work just as well as buckles and misc hardware which also fail. Most important is to tug hard and test before hanging from it.

Ask canoe/kayakers of years past who tied boats to car roofs/trailers and drove 70+ mph no problems with all that tension on hitches. Now I mostly use cam buckles but occasionally just a webbing strap or rope with half hitch or trucker's hitch. Best not to drive behind a vehicle with boats, yard equipment etc. just in case... ha ha ha. I avoid all stuff tied on to anything on the road!

Foresight
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Foresight » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:50 am

I've switched to strictly mule tape (3/4"). Ditched the whoopies and tree straps.

PointPastor
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Sector 7 11'
Tarp: Yukon walk about
Suspension: whoppies
Insulation: DIY FrankenQuilt

Post by PointPastor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:39 am

+1 on Mule tape with the Becket hitch. I hitch right to the continuous loops on my hammock. It is quick and easy with no extra bobbles to carry or lose. I also switched to this after watching Sarge's sub one pound video. I carry two 10' foot lengths of 1/2" mule tape and can hang pretty much anywhere. Use sticks to protect the tree bark if you are concerned with the thinner straps causing damaging.

Due to this method I have re-purposed my old whoppie slings in to continuous loops and a adjustable ridgelines for my DIY hammocks.
Romans 1:16

Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Abner » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:33 pm

PointPastor wrote:+1 on Mule tape with the Becket hitch. I hitch right to the continuous loops on my hammock. It is quick and easy with no extra bobbles to carry or lose. I also switched to this after watching Sarge's sub one pound video. I carry two 10' foot lengths of 1/2" mule tape and can hang pretty much anywhere. Use sticks to protect the tree bark if you are concerned with the thinner straps causing damaging.

Due to this method I have re-purposed my old whoppie slings in to continuous loops and a adjustable ridgelines for my DIY hammocks.

Yep. I used mule tape and a Slippery Becket Hitch hanging a new Yukon V2. It was easy. It works without any drama. Ten feet is about right.

Three wraps of mule tape did not damage the tree bark, but I am sure some type of padding, natural or man-made could be used to provide additional protection to our most important woodland partners.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Probably not going to be helpful if you are using mule tape but try to cut out as much strap as you can. My suspension system is easy to extend without the use of dynaglide extenders. Its a strap going down to a sinlge line of amsteel. Normally, I think people would have used less amsteel than i have and carried a couple dynaglide extenders for when they're strap is short. However, I made my amsteel longer and ditched the extenders all together. Amsteel is heavier than the dynaglide, but now that there is no inconvenience of having to extend the strap I can carry very short straps. Cutting out strap material saved more than the ~1.5g difference of 3ft of amsteel/dynaglide (and this is with extra light kevlar straps). IMO its easier and more weight saved.

Right now my suspension is 0.8oz per side and I am carrying over 11ft of suspension per side.

brianb2
Reactions:

Post by brianb2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:57 pm

I'm also attaching the becket hitch directly to the continuous loops on my hammock. I haven't moved to mule tape yet. Probably would if I had some, just haven't gotten around to picking any up.

I'm still using harbor freight yellow straps. 3.85oz for the pair. Obese compared to some of the folks in this thread, but the obnoxious yellow color means I'll never forget a tree strap. Silver linings, right?

I've also replaced my ridgeline(s) with 200lb spectre fishing line. Got the idea from Sgt. Rock's video. It also turns your hammock into a nice 1 string musical instrument when you get in.
Trail Name = Beans

Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Shaving W9361289878055114343119eight Off My Hammock

Post by Abner » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:24 pm

Bought 100' of Mule Tape for $9.99 on Ebay. Its normally sold in 1000' lengths, but who needs that much. Here's a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-x-100-2500- ... SwBahU94Ru

Treesleeper
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Treesleeper » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:52 pm

+1 on the Mule tape off Ebay. I got 100' a while ago. That was long enough for 3 DIY tablecloth hammocks, plus a little to spare. I have them larksheaded to short 2" seatbelt tree straps. No metal hardware, just becket hitch.
"We love because he first loved us." 1 John 4:19

Return to “Suspension”