brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Re: Shaving Weight Off My Hammock

Post by brianb2 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Ok, I bought some mule tape. How long do you normally cut your strap lengths?

Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Treesleeper
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Treesleeper » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:33 am

When you say 'straps' are you talking about going around the tree, or going to the hammock. I wouldn't recommend using muletape as a treestrap. It gets snagged on the bark very easily and will start to fray. Plus it's usually too thin to pass for the recommended 1". It may damage the tree.
I use a short (4') seatbelt strap to go around the tree. Since I've got the muletape larksheaded to it, if the 4 feet won't go all the way around the tree, it's ok, I just feed the mt thru the fixed loop at the end of the tree strap. My muletape is 15 feet which is prolly more than I'll ever need.
"We love because he first loved us." 1 John 4:19

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 pm

brianb2 wrote:Ok, I bought some mule tape. How long do you normally cut your strap lengths?
I think most are somewhere between 8-15ft. Depends a lot on personal preference but might want to go a slightly longer than your normal suspension if you are using 1/2in. because you will most likely have to go multiple wraps at least on occasion to prevent the aforementioned tree damage (or potential tree damage.)

If you want to get really "scientific" about it... you can look up info on the areas where you hike (US forest service seems to have alot of info) and find the average DBH (diameter at breast height) of the trees.

Return to “Suspension”