ninman
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

TEXAS Hangers - Whoopie slings and tree huggers

Post by ninman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:03 pm

So, I purchased a ENO doublenest with all the fixings and have given it go out in the wild and so far I love it. I woke up for the first time without back pain. Now that I have my very own hammock and have spent some time playing around with it I am now starting to grasp all the terminology that was throwing me for a loop.

I would like to shave off some weight and size and have been looking at the whoopie slings along with some tree hunggers to replace my overly heavy stock ENO straps and to get rid of that overly heavy rope and beaner. Those that hang around the Austin/Texas area what lengths did you all go with for those that use? I was reading the PDF and it stated that if tree's are sparse go with the 8 footers. I know it is only a couple of buck's but figured I would see what the quorum of you all use.

Thanks all...

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: TEXAS Hangers - Whoopie slings and tree huggers

Post by Baby Huey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:15 pm

We don't usually have huge trees down here near Houston, so 6' straps work most of the time, but it never hurts to have longer. You may have to double wrap if you get long straps. I like Whoopie slings, but also like the cinch buckles. I have tried a few with various Dutch blind and found that I prefer the ease of the cinch buckles. I not an ultra lighter by no means.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

Ksbcrocks
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ksbcrocks » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:05 pm

I've moved down to 4.5 foot straps, but I'm kind of a gram weenie. That size strap will still cover 90% of the circumference of even the bigger pine trees I've tied to. My whoopies or leaders can fill in the gap.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 pm

If you can make our fall hang in November, you'll see a wide range of suspensions and learn the pros and cons of each.

Whoopies are great and fun to say. As far as length of straps go, it really varies depending on where you hang. The hill country trees are fairly scrawny for the most part until you hook up to an ancient live oak. 6' would be plenty for the former and 8' would be too short for the later.

I'm pretty sure I use 6' but I don't recall for sure. Anyway, those have served me well in the piney woods of East Texas and the stubby junipers in your area.

If weight and bulk are your primary concerns Whoopies can be a good way to go.

I use them but I'm also a strong advocate for webbing/buckle systems which gets me back to my opening sentence.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:33 am

I carry 10 footers---needed them once, but once is all it takes for me to do it everytime now. I also have a 5 foot long length of tree strap with a cinch buckle on the end that I use as a waist belt----just in case.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:58 am

Quite a few people want longer straps, but another approach is to use stock straps, filling in with suspension or other ropes. If girdling the tree is an issue, slide small pieces of branches, stakes, whatever vertically between the tree and the tree strap. Then only small areas under these sticks will compress.

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:58 am

http://www.theshipinabottle.com/product ... ropes.html

I saw these at Trail Days this year (Damascus, VA, may 2015). This suspension is heavier and bulkier than I want, but I picked one up for a friend who has some challenges with using his hands, especially in cold weather. Interesting to check out, some other members might also benefit from this design.

mackson01
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by mackson01 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:35 pm

10ft Cinch buckles are always a safe bet. I made 4ft trees traps with Dutch clips and 8ft whoopies with whoopie hooks for my self.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick TDBT
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow
Tarp: UGQ Winter Dream
Suspension: Straps & Caribiners
Insulation: Hg 20 tq-uq

Post by Rick TDBT » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:25 pm

I use the Natures Hangout straps with multi loops on each strap and caribiners. I can hang between 10' to 25' between trees.In the future when I can afford it I am gonna go with the Dutch gear 15 foot straps & cinch buckle, and Dutch clips. I used whoopie slings when I first started hanging and found that the whoopie slings would slip a couple inches on me, I know this cause I marked it with a marker and the next mourning you could see the mark had moved. So to this day I stick with tree huggers.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Return to “Suspension”