kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Why buy straps when i can build 'em ? Take that Eno

Post by kev137 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:27 pm

My Wife picked up an Eno hammock on sale for my daughter as a Christmas gift (she is a teen and very much name brand conscious ), but did not know she had to get straps to hang it with. Enter me, the cheap guy. Looked in my pile of diy supplies and decided to make some straps instead of buying 'em.
the total weight is 2.6 oz. the loops are 5ft long and have 19 connections, the straps are the Dutch poly/dynema and are 4.5ft long. perfect for backyard hangs where my daughter will be mainly using her hammock. I'm not a big fan of the daisy chain style suspensions ( I like the adjustability and flexibility of my MSH and whoopee slings) , but they are stupid easy to use. Plus I get the peace of mind knowing that her straps are well made. Also I didn't have to pay anything as I had the supplies on hand. Slap straps? We don't need no stinkin' slap straps!
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58E7AFAB

" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Why buy straps when i can build 'em ? Take that Eno

Post by Flatliner » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:45 pm

Interesting, I have only used traditional whoopie slings. How did you make the loops in the amsteel? Are you using some form of caribiner or Dutch hook to attach the hammock?
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

kev137
Reactions:

Post by kev137 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Flatliner wrote:Interesting, I have only used traditional whoopie slings. How did you make the loops in the amsteel? Are you using some form of caribiner or Dutch hook to attach the hammock?
I made a 2in fixed loop with a 3in bury. Measured down 4in and folded the rest in half, then did a 2in loop at the bottom with a locked Brummel, 2in loop locked Brummel, all the way up with a 3in bury at the end. Made a small loop in my strap and sewed the fixed loop in it with another loop at the other end of the strap.
My daughter will be using it with the carabineers the hammock comes with. I'm forbidden by wife from modifying the hammock in any way so this was the only way I could any DIY into it. I prefer whoopie slings and a marlin spike hitch myself, but its not my hammock
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

stozzberry
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Why buy straps when i can build 'em ? Take that Eno

Post by stozzberry » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm

Why not just use a Beckett hitch. Easy enough for kids and a great multi-purpose slip knot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by stozzberry on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kev137
Reactions:

Post by kev137 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:42 pm

stozzberry wrote:Why not just use a Beckett hitch. Easy enough for kids and a great multitude slip knot

She is to lazy to learn any knots. Plus if you get it wrong you end up in the dirt. And any excuse to splice rope and make stuff is a good one. :D

stozzberry
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by stozzberry » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:44 pm

I hear you!! Happy hanging

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Flatliner » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Thanks, makes total sense, I am currently on a quest for the set up my youngest son won't request help setting up...
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

kev137
Reactions:

Post by kev137 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Update: after a relaxing nap, I mean rigorous test hang, I can say they worked great. No signs of stress or tearing on the amsteel. After I pulled them off the tree you couldn't even tell where I had hung the hammock. The carabiner ( well Dutchbiner actually) hung on the loop part and not the locked brummel part. I guess the weight pushes it to the side of the loop where it's strongest. They did stretch a few inches when I first put weight on them, but then settled and did not stretch any more. Even had some winds that had me rocking back and forth a bit with no problems. I figure one more test hang and ill wrap them up and put them under the tree.

Return to “Suspension”