KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Cinch buckle/webbing problem

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:23 pm

I made my continuous loops and installed them in the end channels of my hammock. I installed my cinch buckle on my loop thusly (and no, I don't have pictures yet): push loop through one side of buckle and then thru itself again, then up and over the cinch buckle. So it's attached but I really only have one wrap worth of the amsteel on either side of the buckle. I ran my webbing strap thru the cinch buckle and hung up my hammock.

I sat down in the hammock and as soon as I loaded it with weight, the cinch buckles shifted to where the amsteel loops were now in one corner and the webbing straps were in the opposite corner. I got up immediately after I heard the pop. I looked at my straps and one of them was ripped on the edge where it got punched in the corner of the cinch buckle.

What did I do wrong??? I can't get any more wraps worth of amsteel on the cinch buckle (like the ones shown when you buy the whole kit from Dutch) because I only made 8" loops. Is that my problem??? Can this be salvaged by making longer loops and therefore getting enough wraps in the cinch buckles that the amsteel goes from one side to the other?

Does that make sense? Was hoping to use this new setup on a trip tomorrow but it looks like I'm back to atlas straps for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In vino veritas.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Cinch buckle/webbing problem

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:18 pm

KINGLONESTAR wrote:I made my continuous loops and installed them in the end channels of my hammock. I installed my cinch buckle on my loop thusly (and no, I don't have pictures yet): push loop through one side of buckle and then thru itself again, then up and over the cinch buckle. So it's attached but I really only have one wrap worth of the amsteel on either side of the buckle. I ran my webbing strap thru the cinch buckle and hung up my hammock.

I sat down in the hammock and as soon as I loaded it with weight, the cinch buckles shifted to where the amsteel loops were now in one corner and the webbing straps were in the opposite corner. I got up immediately after I heard the pop. I looked at my straps and one of them was ripped on the edge where it got punched in the corner of the cinch buckle.

What did I do wrong??? I can't get any more wraps worth of amsteel on the cinch buckle (like the ones shown when you buy the whole kit from Dutch) because I only made 8" loops. Is that my problem??? Can this be salvaged by making longer loops and therefore getting enough wraps in the cinch buckles that the amsteel goes from one side to the other?

Does that make sense? Was hoping to use this new setup on a trip tomorrow but it looks like I'm back to atlas straps for that.

Yep, that's pretty much it. That's zackly what I did the first time. Ten inch loops might work, twelve inch mo bettah. You need to have that whole space filled up.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Drat! Thx for the quick reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:53 pm

problem solved
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Shut the front door, Alice Brown! BREEELYUNT!

In vino veritas.

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Re: RE: Cinch buckle/webbing problem

Post by ADVStrom14 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:54 pm

KINGLONESTAR wrote: I got up immediately after I heard the pop.
I read this earlier today and didn't really think about it again. My new Dutch bling came today (cinch buckles) so I was putting it on the hammock and when I laid down in it I heard this huge pop and this immediately came to mind. I jumped up (well as fast as one can jump in an HH classic entry) and checked it out. I think I just had my webbing strap twisted because when I fixed it I didn't hear it again. I am really digging that webbing sewn on the buckles though. That's a good way to go.

Jes
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:09 am

Hey Scuba, does the loop degrade the strength of the strap in any way where it kind of pinches the strap down. I'm also wondering if the straps being bunched up there weakens their holding capacity. I sewed them up anyway but I'll be looking for signs of degradation in the straps.

In vino veritas.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:29 pm

used that pair more than 60 nights with no ill effects.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Good to know! Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.