Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

New Pack Happy?

Post by GregD » Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 am

Not quite yet.

I spent too much time looking at pack reviews and decided I needed to lighten my load and buy a new pack. I plan to keep my Atmos 65 for situations where weight is of no concern, or I need to haul a lot of weight. I decided that a pack in the 2 pound range would be best for most, maybe all of my trips. Reviews suggest that some of these packs are serviceable for weights up to about 30 pounds. While I expect my typical load will be 20 pounds, I imagine that for some trips there will be a small portion of the trip where I will need to carry more food and/or water.

Reviews pushed me toward the GG Gorilla, the Osprey Exos, and the ULA Ohm 2. My plan was to order both the Gorilla and Ohm and return the one I liked least.

Unfortunately the Gorilla has been out of stock in my size. More unfortunately I watched Shug's video comparing the Gorilla that is new to him to the Ohm that he has used and loved for years. I lost my self control and ordered the Ohm. Shouldn't be a problem, I thought, because GG expected the Gorilla to be in stock "early May". Well ULA filled my order lightning fast, and now GG is saying "June 1st".

Unfortunately the medium I got based on ULA's size chart doesn't put the load lifter pack attachments high enough to be effective. Other than that, ULA has been great to work with. They ship very quickly, the pack looks very well made and they provide videos for proper adjustment - which identified the size problem. After exchanging a few emails they sent out another size; that should be here today. Even with the wrong size the pack rides very well with a 22 pound load.

The features in favor of the Gorilla, at least in principle, are that the stay fits into a pocket in the hip belt providing a rigid transfer of load from the pack to the belt, the back pad fits into external pockets so it can easily be used as a sit pad, and the front mesh pocket is very large.

However, the features in favor of the Ohm are the side pockets which are large, deep, durable, and accessible, larger hip belt pockets, and the load lifters which seem to stabilize the load up top. I can see it working with several different packing strategies depending upon what gear selection I want to go with.

I'm not sure if the side-by-side evaluation is going to happen. I may just take the Ohm and not look back. It seems to be a solid product by a solid company.

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Re: New Pack Happy?

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:11 pm

I just got my ULA Circuit pack in today and I am SO excited to get it out and try it! I tried it on and with it's adjustability and their S-strap suspension it's very comfortable and adjustable. It seems very well made and sturdy even though it is very light. And yes, they ship lightening fast!!! I was not expecting it to come until some time next week. But I ordered it Wednesday night and it arrived today!
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:39 am

I have an ULA Ohm 2.0 on the way!!!!! Should have it in time for next weekend's TEXAS Fall Hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:28 pm

ADVStrom14 wrote:I just got my ULA Circuit pack in today and I am SO excited to get it out and try it! I tried it on and with it's adjustability and their S-strap suspension it's very comfortable and adjustable. It seems very well made and sturdy even though it is very light. And yes, they ship lightening fast!!! I was not expecting it to come until some time next week. But I ordered it Wednesday night and it arrived today!
My shipped today...once yours shipped, how long did it take to get it? I'm in Houston so I'm hoping to have it before I leave for the TEXAS Fall Hang next Friday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Post by ADVStrom14 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:42 pm

KINGLONESTAR wrote:My shipped today...once yours shipped, how long did it take to get it? I'm in Houston so I'm hoping to have it before I leave for the TEXAS Fall Hang next Friday...
Honestly, I can't remember but I do remember being pleasantly surprised at how fast it came out and how fast it got to me. I would say a week at most.
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Shipped Friday from Utah, received today in Northwest Houston! Johnny-on-the-spot they are...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

Return to “Packs”