GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Weight budget for a light-to-ultralight pack

Post by GregD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Polkster13 wrote:The issues I found using this setup on the LSHT this past Spring Break week were two-fold.

First, with everything in the pack it put pressure on the water sleeve and it is very hard to tell if the sleeve was actually full without pulling it out (one time I thought I had a lot more water than I actually did). Second, again the pressure on the sleeve caused the water to leak out of the bite valve when not in use and caused me to loose a lot of water. I have since learned to turn the bite valve off when not in use (which is then a pain to have to turn on and off each time I get a drink).

I could put the sleeve between the back of the backpack and the mesh and this should alleviate these issues. However, during really warm weather, my body heat is going to heat up the water which will not be very pleasant to drink.

I am seriously considering dumping the hydration sleeve and go to just thin plastic water bottles attached to the outside of my pack's mesh pockets. I will be able to see exactly how much water I have, I will be less likely to loose water and it will free up space inside my pack for other things (which may or may not be a good thing).

I am also seriously considering a new pack because of the waist belt issue. I am looking into the ULA OHM 2.0 backpack as a replacement. I am going backpacking again this weekend on the LSHT and I am going to try some other things out with my current pack to see if I can get it dialed in. If not, then I will be selling my Osprey pack and a new pack will be my next purchase.
I was concerned about those two issues with the hydration pack. Plan A is a sleeve to fit around the hydration reservoir (a Platypus Hoser which is round when full) made from corrugated plastic sheet ($5 at Home Depot). It seems plenty sturdy enough to keep the pack contents from compressing the reservoir, but at 4 ounces it seems a bit heavy. Plan B is a sleeve from a stiff-ish plastic sign that weighs about an ounce ($2 at Home Depot) rolled into a tube. Not as rigid and kinda short but may be enough if I don't pull too hard on the pack's compression straps. I was going to give it a go without any sleeve, but your experience suggests I might want to try one.

All you really need to fix your waist belt issue is more ice cream. Or beer. If you decide to sell your Exos I might be interested.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:07 pm

As far as the LST is concerned, I've found the best strategy is caching water at road crossings and using the Sawyer Mini. The only time I had any problem at all was when I didn't use the filter when I had a chance to, thinking I'd have another opportunity on down the trail.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:23 pm

My rule when filtering instead of packing water is as follows: At every water source, drink what ya got (best place to carry water is in you), then filter and replenish your supply.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

bobbycobbler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobbycobbler » Sat May 14, 2016 6:01 am

Going from a big box store pack to my ULA has been night and day. The comfort and quality is top notch. I'm thinking of having Summer make me a summer pack and keeping the Ohm for the other seasons. Also like what Z Packs has to offer.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:15 am

I've been using the Granite Gear Virga packs for a couple of years now. The only reason I switched for version 1 was it got damaged (my fault) and they have a lifetime warranty so I sent them photos asking about it. They sent me version 2 of the pack. Nice folks there as well. They've gotten to be a good size company, so you love to get that kind of customer service. It weights just over a pound because it's a frameless pack. For total weights under 20lb that's never an issue. I doubt it would be comfortable at +30lbs. Good luck
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Return to “Packs”