Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Question on backpack sizes

Post by Scuba » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:22 pm

The ZimmerBuilt pack for hammocking is going to start at $300 now. The one i was quoted (modified a bit) was $350.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:51 pm

What's the benefit of the "hammock" pack design?
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:26 am

Flynguy521 wrote:What's the benefit of the "hammock" pack design?
The exterior pockets are designed to carry the hammock, tarp, and insulation, leaving the main body of the pack for food, fuel and equipment for a maximum 7 day unsupported backpacking trip. A long, narrow pocket on the left side is waterproof and carries the hammock, on the other side a pocket the same size made of mesh for the tarp to allow it to drain if packed wet, and a larger waterproof pocket on the back of the pack about 4" deep the width and length of the pack is to carry your insulation system. The design assumption made was that hammocks, tarps, and quilts are linear items that pack and deploy better in a linear fashion.

The pockets are long and narrow, allowing you to stuff your hammock system in a manner that allows you to deploy them right from the pack. Pack your hammock by stuffing it into the pocket with the head end first and the foot end at the top of the pocket, and pack your tarp in a similar fashion. Place your pack at the base of a tree, pull one end of your tarp from the tarp pocket, attach to the tree, and walk to the other tree with the tarp coming out as you go along. Once you've attached the tarp to the second tree, attach your hammock to that tree, and walk over to the first tree to attach it there. Just keep in mind that your foot end is coming out first, and you'll know which tree to start from.

The insulation pocket was designed to hold two quilts of 2.5 oz Climashield, or one of 5.0 (when using the heavier quilts, one does have to be packed in the main compartment, which means you've got a 3 day winter pack rather than a 7 day pack). With down insulation, you can actually attach your underquilt to the hammock and stuff it into the back pocket, using the side pocket for your top quilt. Right after I got back from the November Hang I put snaps on my UQP, making it work like a lazy slug tube, and when I finished the Fronkeysock (video coming soon!) I put it on there. I can deploy my entire sleep system in just a couple of minutes.

I really need to do a video on this.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:36 am

sarge wrote:
Flynguy521 wrote:What's the benefit of the "hammock" pack design?

I really need to do a video on this.
Yes please!
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Return to “Packs”