Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

External Frame Packs

Post by Abner » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I like external frame packs because they distribute the load better than internal frame packs and they are much cooler since the pack is not on your your back. The problem with external frame packs is their weight.
Enter titanium. Check out the design of the Vargo TiArc. This bpack looks like a game changer for those of us who want a light external frame pack.
Massdrop has them for sale and I've committed to the lowest price for one.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Re: External Frame Packs

Post by gmcpcs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:07 am

That thing looks interesting. Let us know how it works out. Me, I have an Osprey AG, which I will need to get some significant mileage on before I consider another :-) Doesn't hurt to look though.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Abner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Abner » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:25 am

I will do a review once I get it and try it out. The Osprey AG in the 50L size was on my short list. The AG series defiantly has an excellent reputation. The Ti-Arc will be replacing an Alice Pack. My goal is to limit my weight by limiting the capacity of my pack as well as going to lighter gear. As a Boy Scout I upgraded my Yucca Pack to a Deluxe Yucca which had an external frame. After that it was Army Butt packs and Alice packs. I used a huge Gregory internal frame pack for a while but truthfully I just filled it up with stuff I didn't need and went back to the tried and true Alice Pack and frame. I'm looking forward to getting this and I hope it is an upgrade. My back and shoulders are really looking forward to an upgrade.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Abner wrote:I will do a review once I get it and try it out. The Osprey AG in the 50L size was on my short list. The AG series defiantly has an excellent reputation. The Ti-Arc will be replacing an Alice Pack.
That's what I got for my son to hike with; we did the Hellcat conversion:
http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com/20 ... om-us.html

Made it a pretty decent pack.
Abner wrote: My goal is to limit my weight by limiting the capacity of my pack as well as going to lighter gear. As a Boy Scout I upgraded my Yucca Pack to a Deluxe Yucca which had an external frame. After that it was Army Butt packs and Alice packs. I used a huge Gregory internal frame pack for a while but truthfully I just filled it up with stuff I didn't need and went back to the tried and true Alice Pack and frame. I'm looking forward to getting this and I hope it is an upgrade. My back and shoulders are really looking forward to an upgrade.
I hiked a couple of time with the Army MOLLE scout pack, with all my gear tied on around it.

Here's a picture of both, the ALICE before the mod...before we took off on a hike in Big Bend National Park. Yeah, the scout pack kills my shoulder and back.

[img]
IMAG0796.jpg
[/img]

The Atmos works much better for me now, if I can just get the extra "Sack of Feed" I'm carrying around my middle to go away :)

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:22 pm

I have been curious about that Vargo pack. I've got a jalopy external frame I use sometimes. It's an old, unknown make aluminum frame, sanded and repainted, Added suspension from a Kelty frame I got from Craigslist. $20 for the whole thing was a lot better than building my own suspension. I made a new bag, about 45L, out of PU coated 70d ripstop. Whole pack is just under 3 pounds but carries wonderfully.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Return to “Packs”