Pine E. Woods
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

New pack - Osprey Kestrel 48

Post by Pine E. Woods » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:34 am

I've been using my Osprey Atmos 65 for a few years and said I would never give it up. But I have been looking for a reason to get the acclaimed ULA Ohm. BUT, I didn't! I decided to go with the Kestrel 48 since I'm a big Osprey fan and like the various external pockets.

On my last trip, I finally realized the 65L was a bit more than I needed and thought a smaller pack may carry more comfortably (not that the Atmos was uncomfortable). I did a test pack in the Kestrel 48 and it looks like a winner! I may miss the air speed suspension on the Atmos, but the Kestrel has a little bit of airflow with their airspace system. I'll get by!

I'll still use my Atmos 65 for winter packing since it was always perfect for that in the past.

If anyone else has the Kestrel 48, let me know what you think.

ezadventurer
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: New pack - Osprey Kestrel 48

Post by ezadventurer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:10 am

I kept looking at the Manta 36 to see if I could ever pack enough for a multi day adventure, but alas, I am not a gram weenie and settled on the Manta 25 for day hikes. I also have an Osprey Atmos 50 from '07 that I left in my condo in Thailand for future jungle treks and picked up an Atmos 65 here. I got the new Atmos in early '14 and missed out on the updated Ag. Been happy with them and a few months ago picked up the Kyte 46 for my wife. That is basically the women's equivalent of the Kestrel if I am not mistaken. Unfortunately, had a few too many job requirements through September and have not tested out the pack. My wife is more of a car camper and I am more of a remote site type of camping. Perhaps in the near future it will be tested.

Pine E. Woods
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Pine E. Woods » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:17 am

I'm finding this Kestrel 48 packs much better than my Atmos 65. With the 65, it ended up as more of a "ball", hanging/pulling further off my back. The 48 seems to compress better and stay thinner, so it's not hanging back so far. Plus, it's 2" closer anyway without the airspeed suspension.

I'm heading out Nov 6, not sure where yet. But I'll give it a good test then and see how it works out.

Pine E. Woods
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Pine E. Woods » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Bummer! I packed this up and walked around my basement for a bit. It just doesn't fit me well. I put it up in the for sale area if anyone is interested.

Return to “Packs”