hoppy901
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Taking A Chance

Post by hoppy901 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:37 pm

After all the talk about the ULA Ohm packs I couldn't resist....I watched all the videos on the ULA Catalyst model and loved all the features but couldn't justify (or afford) $260. So after much searching & researching I found the Mountaintop newer 2016 70L+10L on Amazon for $79.99. They have added side & rear compartments to the previous model 5805II. It has many of the same bells & whistles as the Catalyst at a cheapskate's price. It will be here on Monday, so I'll give you an update on how it is or if I need to return it. :?:

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Taking A Chance

Post by Scott » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:14 pm

I like the cheapskate in you. I'll be watching for reviews. When I have time to go out every month or so into the woods, maybe I can justify dropping $300 on a pack, until then, I go cheap.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:01 pm

I had the 60L version of this pack and it worked just fine. There was nothing wrong with it. It was a little more difficult ti dial in for size though but yours may be adjustable since it's a larger pack. Nothing wrong with that one right there.
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:22 am

Bottom line load it up with appropriate weight and gear and go hike some local jogging/walking trails near you for a few hours as often as possible for the next few days to see if it can be adjusted to fit you, if it doesn't return it as soon as possible. A pack that doesn't fit is a waste of money and storage space regardless of how cheap it is in my opinion. Some people like lots of "bells and whistles" others like very minimal cuz all that kewl stuff just means more weight and things to fail so it just comes down to personal preference. Personally my perfect ruck sack would have absolutely no zippers cuz they bug the heck out of me. Sure they're fast but being a few days from "trail's end" and having a critical one fail is extremely frustrating, not an experience I ever want to repeat.

hoppy901
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hoppy901 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Happy Camper! Got the pack yesterday. Moved all my "stuff" from one stuffed pack plus a waist pack with room to spare still for my clothes in the bottom compartment. 34#s and yet still WAY more comfortable than my old pack on the frame. Winter up here requires more quilts and clothes and now I am ready to be able to extend my hang time. WOOT!

IL_Bow_Man
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by IL_Bow_Man » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:21 am

I need to learn from you to find a deal...was it a used pack I assume?

hoppy901
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hoppy901 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:53 am

Brand new from Amazon. Mountaintop 70L+10L 6804 2016 model

Return to “Packs”