V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

The oldest pack you still use

Post by V_Allen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:17 pm

I bought a Dana TerraPlane pack in '93 to thru hike the AT. I still use it to this day. Its heavy (7 lbs empty) but extremely comfortable. When I bought it in Georgia, I had to suffer thru a 2 hour custom fitting. Best fitting pack I've ever had and I've hauled loads from 40 to 80lbs with it. Still going strong and still looks good even with all the abuse I've given it. Back in '93 I paid $427.00 for this thing - a lot of money for me back then. I haven't regretted it once.
20150819_211315.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: The oldest pack you still use

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:00 pm

V_Allen wrote:I bought a Dana TerraPlane pack in '93 to thru hike the AT. I still use it to this day. Its heavy (7 lbs empty) but extremely comfortable. When I bought it in Georgia, I had to suffer thru a 2 hour custom fitting. Best fitting pack I've ever had and I've hauled loads from 40 to 80lbs with it. Still going strong and still looks good even with all the abuse I've given it. Back in '93 I paid $427.00 for this thing - a lot of money for me back then. I haven't regretted it once.
20150819_211315.jpg
My son still uses this same Dana pack which I got I can't even remember when, maybe in the 90s. I used it for years and gave it to him when I got a McHale pack somewhere in the 2006 or maybe a bit earlier, about the same time I started hanging with hammocks. Both of these packs served me very well, but I was just starting to seriously cut total pack weight. I stuck with the McHale for several years even as the weight started plummeting, but finally got a Pinnacle frameless(just a pad as frame) and latter a MollyMack Pack, and ave used those for several years now. They both seem to have no trouble carrying the weight I usually carry now. But one thing that was nice before I switched to the lighter packs: roominess. I never had to worry about if I had room enough in my pack for everything on a week long trip. More than once, while still trying to keep the weight balanced/the same, I ended up carrying someone else's(SP?) stuff when they ran out of room.

I have a North Face Back Magic external frame that I bought used at the other forum. my 1st backpack was one of these back in 83, and I sold it in the 80s or early 90s. I should not have done that, and I would use this old pack for nostalgia if no other reason, except the pack cloth is so brittle with age, and I worry about a hard plastic part that was meant to flex and increase comfort. I am afraid one of these parts will break on the trail. But, you want to talk about efficiency at transferring a load to my hips, nothing has ever matched it for carrying a heavy load on a trail. Even if it weighs 5 lbs, I would be happy to use this pack again, just for fun. Especially if I ever found myself having to carry a heavy load.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm tempted to go out once more in the M1942 Mountain Rucksack I got from my Dad and still have just to claim the "oldest Pack" title.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:00 pm

sarge wrote:I'm tempted to go out once more in the M1942 Mountain Rucksack I got from my Dad and still have just to claim the "oldest Pack" title.
Is there a way, or a product for, reconditioning ancient, brittle nylon? I could probably replace the flexible plastic part of the frame with a block of wood if it broke. Wouldn't flex as good or at all, but would still be usable. If I could get the nylon bags into a less brittle condition, I would use this rascal.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:31 am

That's something I don't know. Seems like there should be. Some kind of saddle soap for nylon----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Baby Huey » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:39 am

I don't know this for fact, but as a pack it would be beneficial for it to be waterproof and does not need to be breathable. I am wondering if maybe submerging into a waterproofing solution might not help a bit. But it being nylon if the threads are oxidized and weak, it may not be enough.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Baby Huey wrote:I don't know this for fact, but as a pack it would be beneficial for it to be waterproof and does not need to be breathable. I am wondering if maybe submerging into a waterproofing solution might not help a bit. But it being nylon if the threads are oxidized and weak, it may not be enough.
Well, if I had just ever developed those thread injecting DIY skills like some other people, it probably wouldn't be that hard to just copy yhe old pack with new matrial and attach it to the frame. That frame is probably going to way outlast me.

Roche
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Roche » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:04 am

BB66

I did a "restoring nylon fabric" google search, no silver bullet there. If I were in your shoes I'd try soaking the pack in a bathtub of lukewarm water for a few hours and let it air dry. Generally speaking, nylon absorbs water - hey, who knows? But then again it's a suggestion from the internet...

Or apply for a federal grant and have a craftsman clone the pack out of Dyneema fabric, now that would be a sweet pack.

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Yeah, sun/UV/acid rain damage with the older pack material is a pain - there is no fix. I always use a pack cover on my Dana as the red color isn't very stealthy. At the time, red was the only color I could find.
V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

scgobbler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by scgobbler » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:28 pm

I have an old Gregory that I got in 1986 when I joined Boy Scouts.

I am still using it, but I think I will have to replace it this year.

Noticed all the foam is starting to dry rot.

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:14 pm

An Alice pack I used in the Army and used as my train maintenance pack for many years. I bought it in 1992, so that would be 23 years.
No Sniveling!

Dutch
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Dutch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:34 pm

I have a ULA p-2 form 2002. it has over 3000 miles on it and still going strong....oder that is.

ezadventurer
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by ezadventurer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:16 am

V_Allen wrote:I bought a Dana TerraPlane pack in '93 to thru hike the AT. I still use it to this day. Its heavy (7 lbs empty) but extremely comfortable. When I bought it in Georgia, I had to suffer thru a 2 hour custom fitting. Best fitting pack I've ever had and I've hauled loads from 40 to 80lbs with it. Still going strong and still looks good even with all the abuse I've given it. Back in '93 I paid $427.00 for this thing - a lot of money for me back then. I haven't regretted it once.
That brought back some memories. I also bought a Dana Terraplane, but the Overkill. You could stuff that full and heavy and it was still comfortable...or maybe I was just young and stupid back then. Anyhow, I picked mine up in GA as well at a little shop in Little Five Points. Had a real knowledgeable fella in there back then and got me started on the backpacking. I don't use if anymore, so the oldest pack I still use is from '07. It is an Osprey Atmos 50 and is in Thailand. When I departed there I did not bring it with me but it is my in country pack there.

PREACHER
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PREACHER » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:10 am

I have an old Jansport external frame that they dont make anymore. it's a great pack that carries really well. It is my loaner. :)

q3moondog
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by q3moondog » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:33 am

I use an old internal frame Lowe Alpine Backpacker ND55 I bought in '95 while stationed in Northern Italy. It sat in my basement for a LONG time until I just recently picked up backpacking again. I love this pack and it seems to hold up well.

Return to “Packs”