Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Litesmith - Reflective amsteel?

Post by Scuba » Mon May 16, 2016 2:09 pm

So litesmith is a company that sells lightweight minimalist essentials for hikers. They have what they claim is a spliceable reflective hollor core rope that performs similarly to amsteel blue. http://www.litesmith.com/catzye-reflect ... mock-line/

It is available in 1.8 and 2.8mm diameters, 3 colors and various lengths. The 2.8mm is the direct competitor to 7/64th amsteel and has 12 strands instead of the amsteels 8, and the breaking strengths are very similar, probably within the margin of error.

a 25ft hank of the orange 2.8mm is $6.98 vs $5.25 for a 25ft hank of 7/64th amsteel from Dutch.

I haven't tried this yet but hope to soon, if anyone has, please let us know your thoughts.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

CooOkieCOOon
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Litesmith - Reflective amsteel?

Post by CooOkieCOOon » Tue May 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Nice. Never heard of this. Pretty cool.

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Just ordered some. Will let you guys know how it turns out.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Eidson
Reactions:
Hammock: DH TB #1832/FB #1265
Tarp: DIY
Suspension: Amsteel/webbin/bling
Insulation: LL 20° GP/LH, DIYs

Post by Eidson » Fri May 20, 2016 3:16 pm

I've stalked too long without posting......

I've been using both the 1.8 and 2.8 diameters with great success. You'll hardly notice the difference from these lines and our more typical amsteel/dynaglide/zing-it lines. It is slightly different splicing the lines due to the additional amount of braided lines in the 2.8 (12 vs 8), and seems both slightly slicker and firmer (hard to explain). If you can splice anything that hammock hangers have used in a suspension in the past, you'll splice these lines with ease. I may even say that splicing these lines is easier than typical amsteel due to the slickness and slightly more firm feel.
I redid my lash-it tarp lines with their 1.8 catzye line and have used this same line with both adjustable and fixed ridgelines. I also have numerous dogbones for various applications made from the line. Dutch hooks work with it if you bend them ever so slightly. Flez, Flyz and Stingers also work great with no adjustment needed.
I converted one of my DreamHammock's suspension over to the 2.8 Catzeye; continuous loops, whoopie slings and added a 1.8 catzeye ridgeline and love it.

The reflectivity of the Catzeye line is above average compared to other reflective lines.. It doesn't light up quite as much as my Lawson line does, but offers more reflectivity than some of the other smaller brand name lines I have tried.

Honestly, I kept waiting for Dutch or someone to release a spliceable reflective line, so I ordered from Litesmith shortly after he went public. Overall, I think it's a great product if you're looking to add a little reflectivity to your setup. I definitely don't have any regrets about my purchases of the line.

Flynguy521
Reactions:

Post by Flynguy521 » Fri May 20, 2016 6:30 pm

There are some pretty neat things on their site. I went back and ordered more of the line and some of the reflective bungee, as well as the dual chamber fuel bottle and air pillow. The last two were more out of curiosity and they were priced right so I figured...in the name of science!

Hammock Trip Map

Flynguy521
Reactions:

Post by Flynguy521 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:32 am

Just a heads up, Their line is not as reflective as Lawson, but it is sliceable and does fairly well. To me it seems that friction heats it up and distorts it more than regular amsteel so be mindful of that. The reflective bungee is really nice, but once again, not as reflective as Lawson. Not sure if it is the tracers they use or if they only use one and Lawson uses two.

Hammock Trip Map

LawsonKline
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Suspension: DIY
Insulation: DIY

Post by LawsonKline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:52 am

The reason why most lines are not as reflective as mine is they either use half the amount of reflective tracers, or they use knockoff 3M tracers made in China that are not as reflective. The reflective tracer from 3M costs roughly 3x more than the knockoff. This 75x more costly than High Quality Nylon or Polyester on a length to weight comparison. (how much yarn you will use for a given length) So most companies choose to use to either us less reflective or buy a cheaper version.

The customer pays the same, and get less. Its what they call a win/loose.

The other issue is that most companies that are selling reflective cord do not make it themselves so they are at the mercy of whatever their mill uses and since they have a middle man between them and the product they also have to pay more for less.. Its why their lines are less reflective, more costly, and not usually made in the usa. (they forget to tell you the last part)

I can only think of three companies that make reflective cord in house. My company (Lawson Equipment Glowire) Sterling Ropes. They make a product called Glocord . I think they must of liked the name of my cord. It has 1 tracer that is not 3M so it is less than half as reflective., Price wise its more. The other is Blue Water Ropes, They make a product called Niteline. It also has only 1 tracer, and is also not 3M. The line is also is more expensive. Both use nylon (Sterling 100%, Bluewater uses Polyester in the jacket, nylon in the core) so they have alot more stretch.. BUT Both these lines are good quality, minus the lack of reflectivity and the added stretch. Other lines like those sold by MSR, Kelty, Exped, etc are pretty low quality in my opinion as they come out of a mill in China. They are designed to maximize profits. Not to give you a better product.

In regards to the Litesmith Catzye Line. I have no clue what they use. I am going to assume knock off 3M as they don't list 3M. It also appears as if they are urethane coating over the tracer material. This is going to decrease reflectivity. Their Reflx line appears to also not use the 3M tracers. I am going to assume both lines are made in china as it doesn't say otherwise. And one last final point. The addition of UHMWPE in the core of the latter line makes no sense at all. This is not a paraglider line where no stretch is needed. This is a guyline where all polyester is more than static enough. Its retarded. If you tie a knot in this type of line (Polyester/Nylon Cover with a UHMWPE Core) the cover will break and the core will slip out. So lines like these might have some crazy break numbers on paper but in actual use they will never even come close to this as the core and the jacket do not work together. Hell they don't even melt together. They get these high break numbers by wrapping the line around a specially designed capstan that is several inches in diameter a bunch of times, putting the tail/end in a clamp and then tensile testing it that way (I own one of these machines). This method is great for engineering lines so you can get consistent break numbers to see what you need to change and how your changes are effecting the lines performance, but its not a good way to show back country field strength. This method of strength is something that no one, nowhere is going to be able to do in a field. Think wrapping a line around a smaller tree 10 times and then pulling on it vs going around a carabiner once and then tieing a knot. That is why my guylines use the same fiber in the core as the jacket so everything works together. In the case of the Glowire this is 100% High Tenacity Polyester. If you knot my line the cover/jacket is not going to prematurely break with the core slipping out. The line breaks as one. This is the difference between lines designed by people that don't make cordage and rope vs someone who does. They want Dyneema/Spectra/Etc in the description and a high on paper break number as they know it sells more line. But unless your not using knots, then you will never see the strength of these lines. Just my two cents... Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Lawson

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:57 am

I love all my Lawson glowire, just wish you would bring the coyote color back :)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

Flynguy521
Reactions:

Post by Flynguy521 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:49 am

Does Lawson have a vendor subforum here? If not, might be time to add one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock Trip Map

LawsonKline
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Suspension: DIY
Insulation: DIY

Post by LawsonKline » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm

I have been thinking about doing a camo glowire. Any interest?

Thanks,
Lawson

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:35 pm

I'd buy it. Also, gonna give you a vendor subforum and fancy yellow name.

Flynguy521
Reactions:

Post by Flynguy521 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Same here. I need some for my multicam setups

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock Trip Map

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Flatliner » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:16 am

I would LOVE multicam colors or coyote. I'm using the brown right now I got from Dutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Return to “Miscellaneous Vendors”