tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

The $15 summer underquilt

Post by tangara » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:57 pm

I got an email today from Kmart for $10 off any $10 purchase in sporting goods, so took a ride over after work to see if they had anything interesting. I found a "sport quilt" for $24.49, so I paid a little over $15 for it. It reminds me of a cheap version of a poncho liner. Size is 70 x 60" and the fill is 1.5 pounds of polyester fiberfill. The material is a brushed nylon on one side and a smooth nylon on the other. It would make a nice top quilt by sewing a quick footbox, or a summer underquilt by adding channels and cords. It packs a little smaller than the SnugPak UQ, but it's not going to be as warm. Field testing to follow, but I had it out tonight at 60 degrees and it was doing the job.

I took some photos of it, but the wifi is slow tonightand they're not coming through. In the meantime, here is the product from the webstie:

http://www.kmart.com/suisse-sport-adult ... ockType=G3

They're cheaper on the website. If I get another coupon, I'm going to grab a second one and play. It's an option if you just want to get yourself out there without wasting a ton of money until you know what you want.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: The $15 summer underquilt

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Dang.

At a pound and a half its just a shade over the Sierra Trading Post quilt, but its wider and longer and looks like it would be easier to work with.

Nice find.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

tangara
Reactions:

Post by tangara » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:19 am

The easy to work with is what made me pick it up. Fifteen minutes of mods and I should have something workable. I need to outfit two more hammocks for a hang in April with two newbees. I'll give them my warmest quilts so they don't get scared off, but I may be using some sort of patched together setup for myself (just like the old days). I'm used to things not quite going perfectly, so if I'm a little cold, I can deal with it. But I don't think I will be, even though it was below freezing and snowed overnight at our last end of April hang.

I slept outside last night with it as a top quilt. We only got down to 46, but I was warm and toasty with it sleeping in just shorts and socks. I know I could have gone to a lower temp. I'm 5'8" and it's enough length for me as a top quilt, YMMV. Caveat, my underquilt is dang warm, so that alleviates what I need for a top quilt. Maybe I'll take it out with the SnugPak tonight and see if it still keeps me warm. The SnugPak has a slightly higher temp rating than my DIY UQ. Pics finally came through this morning, but not on this computer. I'll post later tonight.

tangara
Reactions:

Post by tangara » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:56 am

We were supposed to get near freezing last night, so I gave it another field test, this time as an underquilt. I only draped it along two side cords so that it was close to the hammock, but didn't bother to gather the ends. We got down to 34. It reached a point where I was chilly, especially at the end, but if I reached under and held the end tight to the hammock, the chill got less. It wasn't comfortable, but I never reached the point of shivering. I'm considering this a success and I'm now going to use this throw as a base for some kind of UQ build. I'd like to have a layered system that I can adust if needed for the temperature. I think if I stack this throw with two others that I have I should come up with a variable temperature system. It's won't pack small, but I'll probably be using it mostly for car camping or at home, where the temp outside can change 30 degrees from one night to the next (as it did from Thursday to Friday night). Now I really need a coupon to get another one. I see they are $20 online with no coupon, though

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:01 am

I'd use the same approach I used with the SnugPak Jungle Blanket for the "base quilt", then get another of thise, cut it in half lengthwise, and install snaps on the perimeter of ech so that they's snap into the "base quilt"---one on top of the other. You'd end up with a maximum of three layers under you, but perhaps a bit of chill at the shoulders.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

tangara
Reactions:

Post by tangara » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Yeah, three layers is what I'm thinking about. I'm just trying to come up with the most versatile and interchangeable design that I can. I've been chewing on this for months. At this point, I'm just overthinking it. I need to start building.

tangara
Reactions:

Post by tangara » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:16 pm

All right, I finally had the time to stop figuring out what to do and just do it. And I also stopped overthinking and just decided to go with the simplest way possible to get an UQ made. I was able to pick up a second quilt at Kmart for an even better deal than the first, since it was cheaper online and I could have it delivered to a store for free. I had coupons for $10 off $10 from Kmart, and their online price was $21.99.

http://www.kmart.com/suisse-sport-adult ... ockType=G3

I just folded the edge and sewed around the perimeter of the first blanket, making a hem with a little over an inch of space for a drawsting. I left it open at the four corners, and also left 2" gaps and 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of the way on each of the sides. I threaded non-stretch cordage through the sides, adding line-locks at the halfway points along the side, and also one at one end to adjust the length of the cord to reach the end of my hammock. I found that I didn't need stretch cord on the sides as long as the side cord was a continuous loop that could slide freely. When you climb in, one side will push up as the side you're getting in on pushes down, so you really don't need stretch there.

On the ends, I threaded a long lightweight dogbone, about 12 inches, and then prusik that to a stretch cord that reaches to the ridgeline, where I have a small clip on another prusik that can be slid to adjust the tightness of the UQ against the hammock ends. The last bit of adjustment is by the cord locks at the center sides. After I'm in, I can tighten them up as snug as I need them to bring the quilt up or drop it down a bit.

I tested it out on an overnight down to 50 degrees and it was nice and comfy (no tarp or wind). On a second night, down to 34, I added quilt number two for double the insulation, laying it in a diamond orientation, pulling the corners out at the end of the hammock, and at the side where the cord locks could be looped around the corners to keep it in place. Again, plenty warm (different temp rated top quilts each night).

My plan for the future is to retrofit a number of down, wool and synthetic throws of various sizes and weights with short ties that I can tie in at the spaces the I left open in the sides of the hemmed quilt. With that setup, I can add whatever extra heat I need based on whatever weight or bulk I'm willing to carry for the trip planned (whether pack or car camping).

The single UQ weighs under 2 pounds and took about 20 minutes of hemming. It opens up to 57" x 67". To shave a little weight, a couple darts could be put in the ends before hemming to shape the quilt more like the hammock and remove some bunching at the ends. Super simple, and now I've got a pretty versatile base. If ever there was an easy DIY you wanted to try, something like this would do it. If I can figure out how to get a picture to the site, I'll post one in a bit.

tangara
Reactions:

Post by tangara » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:05 pm

Pics posted to the facebook page.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:27 pm

My You Tube Channel

tangara
Reactions:

Post by tangara » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:27 pm

so what's the trick to photos? Do I have to post them somewhere else on the net and then post a link? No way to upload straight to here, right? thanks for the help...

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:36 pm

tangara wrote:so what's the trick to photos? Do I have to post them somewhere else on the net and then post a link? No way to upload straight to here, right? thanks for the help...
Yah, Scuba's paying for this out of his own pocket, and to add that function one of his kids would have to eat only 6 days out of the week. Its one of the reasons we set up the FB Page. I just click on the pic you posted there, copied the URL, pasted it, and boom, there it is.

You can also use Photobucket or any of the other photo sharing sites.
My You Tube Channel

tangara
Reactions:

Post by tangara » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks for the photo help, and thanks to Scuba for giving us a more tolerant and user friendly site than some other ...

tangara
Reactions:

Post by tangara » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:04 am

The $15 summer underquilt has now morphed into a $27 winter underquilt. I was hanging this weekend with my cousins, and on the second night they decided they wanted to give it a try. I had barely enough underthings to rig up some stuff, giving a snugpak to one cousin, and a double Kmart uq to the other cousin. I had added string ties to the corners and middle of one of the quilts to tie it into the quilt with the sewn channels. It got down to 34 degrees, neither one of them used a tarp (windless, clear night), and the snugpak guy endured some cold spots, but the Kmart uq gal was throwing off her sleeping bag all night long to dissipate heat. She slept in, but he jumped out of bed at dawn to join me in making a fire. The downside of this setup is the packability. It would be suitable for car camping or short hikes only. I think it will be seeing most of its use at home when I sleep out.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Love it when a plan comes together.
My You Tube Channel

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:53 pm

I can't speak for this item but we have 2 of their mummy bags we use as overquilts. Paid something like $25 at Sears. These bags are the warmest bags that I have ever used... And very comfortable too..
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

Return to “Insulation”