BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

A seemingly great combo I have never tested

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:04 pm

I could have put this over in my other thread about favorite insulation and hammock combos, but I have never really used this combo. In the past, if I used this quilt, it went on my JRB bridge hammock. If I used this hammock, it was insulated with a Speer Pea Pod(which really worked great). My son used the same hammock with a WB synthetic Yeti, but not this quilt.

However, after recent testing in not so cold temps (high 40s, windy no tarp) I am reminded once again how comfy this Claytor hammock is, and pleased to say that they seem to work superbly together!

I also have been using, for the 1st time, the center quilt attachment point. The one I asked about- in another thread- if this might have somewhat of a CLEW like effect. I don't know the answer to that, but I do think it is very helpful to keeping the UQ snugged up in all areas. So I hung the JRB MW4 UQ on a 10 ft long, 4 ft wide Claytor No Net gathered end and adjusted it as best I could by myself in the woods. If I had a hiking partner with me, I would have one of us get in while the other makes suspension adjustments for best coverage with no apparent leaks or drafts). None of this is needed when I use my partial length UQs ( MW3 convertible or synthetic Yeti), I can easily tell from inside the hammock if those are adjusted correctly, or not. But I find things a bit trickier with full length UQs and non-bridge hammocks. ( Or even with a bridge hamm. if the UQ is too long for the hammock).

It was 46F with a stiff breeze. No tarp during testing. So this is no test of a 0F UQ and a 20-25F TQ. OTOH, we all know what wind can do. And there was a stiff breeze blowing across my face. Plus, I had no hat or layers other than cotton shirt and jeans. I removed my Polarguard jacket with hood before I got in. All I felt was luxurious warmth head to toe, top to bottom(except of course for my face and top of my head, no hat or tarp to block wind. Whether flat on my back or on my side with legs straight ( I don't think I tried fetal), all I felt was total comfort and super warmth. I could not detect any old spots.

When the biggest gusts of wind would hit the hammock ( wind chill maybe about 30-35F?), I could tell it. It went from way warm, almost too warm, on the bottom to just warm. But no doubt if the temps had been 35 or lower, I would have needed some wind block(tarp or sock or UQP). But as it was, no problem. So without actually putting this combo to the test on the trail with temps near rating(though I have been warm with this quilt before at 10F in a bridge hammock and 18F with very high winds in a WB Black Bird), these excellent results give me every confidence in using these two together. As comfy as I have ever been in any hammock of any type, flat on my back or on my side with legs straight, both excellent. No calf ridge(!), knee problems or side sleeping issues. And 100 % warm at every spot. It makes me wonder why I bother with bridge hammocks, although the quilt set up is definitely easier and quicker with a bridge. Also, I suspect there would be greater odds of running into problems with my feet/legs and quilt coverage as I changed positions during the night, than in a bridge. TQ might also be more likely to stay put and not develop a draft, maybe. But for comfort, can not really beat this one.

I don't know why this picture from the foot end looks there is about 3 feet of the unoccupied hammock sticking out from the quilt. The hammock is only 10 feet long and the UQ covers my feet by a fair amount while still insulating barely to the top of my head:

Side note: looking JUST past the foot end(black suspension straps), see the small ridge a few steps from the hammock and the small drainage/bottom just past that ridge? As I was setting up, first a deer ran past at high speed, I suppose a doe- no antlers. Followed quickly by a buck. Then another, and another, 5 bucks in all some with big racks. All apparently chasing this one doe. All apparently oblivious to me. I thought the rut was in the fall?
Last edited by BillyBob66 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Re: A seemingly great combo I have never tested

Post by kev137 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:44 am

Thanks for the review. Man that quilt really wraps around well head to toe. I can see how it would be good and toasty. I don't think I've ever seen a jrb in action. Clever design.
Lucky the bucks ran past and not through your site!
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:39 pm

kev137 wrote:Thanks for the review. Man that quilt really wraps around well head to toe. I can see how it would be good and toasty. I don't think I've ever seen a jrb in action. Clever design.
Lucky the bucks ran past and not through your site!
Isn't that the truth, but it was quite close!

That wrap around on that set up may be caused by a combination of me using the center pull outs on each quilt end PLUS some experimenting I did on how to route the JRB suspension cords. Not exactly how they said to do it, though close. But I guess it is safe and OK, as I was able to push the UQ down and away from the hammock with my hands a good distance, so me laying in the hammock should not- and did not appear to- over stress the quilt. And I guess it works good because boy was it warm, everywhere! ( but again, only about 46F + wind chill, so not very cold)
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Hah. 46° is cold to me! That's full on winter temp here in Florida.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:08 am

kev137 wrote:Hah. 46° is cold to me! That's full on winter temp here in Florida.
I have a lighter JRB UQ, an MW3 convertible( covers either to mid thigh or past my feet if I add the extension) that I tested yesterday at 40F, on the same hammock. It is 23 oz vs 27, rated at 20-25F vs zero-5F. I tested in full length mode, also using a lighter TQ that in the previous pics. (21 oz vs 27 oz). I was more than adequately warm, and very comfy. Once again, this is an UQ that I have only previously used on bridge hammocks, and usually in short mode. It has always worked great in that combo, but this is my 1st time testing it on a non-bridge hammock. It is supposed to be colder tonight, closer to the rating, maybe I'll get a chance to put it to the test.

Return to “Insulation”