Have the JRB MW Under Quilts always had a Clew?

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Have the JRB MW Under Quilts always had a Clew?

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:42 pm

I have always used my JRB MW3and 4 UQs on my bridge hammocks, with the exception of one windy 18F test on a War Bonnet Black Bird years ago. Tat is probably because for the majority of those years, if I was going to use a gathered end it was most likely to be either a Claytor No Net, or Speer 8.5 or HH UL Explorer. If the 1st two I always used my Speer Pea Pod with 100% success. ( or once 2 summer weight pads in a Speer segmented pad extended(remember those? I still have one) on another 18F night- that was my 1st toasty night in a hammock). If I used the HH, I would use my HH Super Shelter. So except for one time the JRB MWUQ always went on my bride hammocks.

Recently I decided to try rigging it on my Claytor, since I no longer have a Pea Pod. And I was reminded of something I had long known about, but rarely remembered. These UQs have, similar to what AHE Jarbidge quilts would later use, shock cord suspension connection points. ( no need for secondary suspensions to prevent accordion effect with these UQs) But they also have a center suspension point that is part of the end draw cords that are meant to close the ends which might be gapping open on an otherwise tightly enough suspended UQ. This center connection point is meant to be connected to the shock cord suspension where it is girth hitched around the end of the hammock. Like this:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/wp-content/ ... Step-4.jpg
You can see that better if you blow the pic up)

I have found that I can connect it to the hammock suspension and it appears to be safe, does not stress the UQ if I push the quilt way down towards the ground with my hands. I have also been considering using a separate piece of shock cord to connect it.

But anyway, I have been playing with this center suspension connector. It would not be used on the bridge hammocks and I don't think I used it the one time I tested this UQ on the WBBB, but I think I did not. I was still plenty warm. Still, I can't help but notice that using this really snugs the quilt up, and supports the UQ, in the middle. Which, I believe, is one of the selling points of the new CLEW mod. Of course, the CLEW has multiple connections all along the foot end, and this just adds one more in the middle. I got the thing hooked up on my Claytor GE, but it was only 55F(supposed to cool off in the next few days). But it sure was roasting warm, and super snug, along my back and butt. As best I could tell it was also pretty snug along my legs, though more so along the right leg. I already have a shock cord mod meant to either pull the left side closer on a GE, or to pull the quilts top edges closer to the hammocks top edges on a bridge. It also felt snug and warm full length when on my side. ( This 10 ft long, 4 ft wide hammock is about a match for a bridge for side sleeping abilities).

So what do Y'all think? Could this JRB center connection give at least some of the advantages ( if they really are advantages) of a CLEW? Was JRB a step ahead with suspensions all of these years? Or, do you think it would not at all be like a CLEW? I have not played with a CLEW yet, but I will say this appears to add a noticeable amount of support to the quilts center.

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Have the JRB MW Under Quilts always had a Clew?

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 pm

http://leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/levquilt.html
Off Topic
..................The "traditional" underquilt is built by running a shock-cord loop through sewn-in channels down the long edges of the quilt. The short ends usually have a cinch cord. The current trend is to add a "secondary suspension" to prevent the quilt from sliding along the shock cord loop.

I've come to the conclusion that this design is Not Good. Its main weakness is that there is no tug on the middle of the short edge........................
I'm starting to think there may indeed be an advantage to this JRB design. It will definitely add " tug on the middle of the short edge". If so, it has been available for at least 8-10 years. But it is something I don't think they emphasized very much.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Return to “Insulation”