kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

my new DIY topquilt is done!

Post by kev137 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:11 pm

I finished my new DIY climashield top quilt the other day and I am so stoked! It is argon 90 inner and outer with 6.0oz climashield throughout with an additional 2.50z in the footbox area (I hate cold feet). I used kam snaps and drawstring to close the footbox. The drawstring has the Dutch springless cord lock , the Darth Vader, on it and that thing is nifty. All in all a fun build and I only had to rip and re sew a few seams. I made the shell first with the channel and grosgrain for the snaps, then cut and attached the climashield. Also used 2in scrap pieces on top of the insulation to keep it from catching in the foot of the machine (thanks for that idea Sarge) and held the whole thing together with clothes pins while sewing. Sewing the shell first was an extra step, but made wrangling all the pieces much easier to handle. Got to use it the other day for a nap and it kept me nice and toasty. Granted it was only in the low 60's, but just the same it worked well.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 187&type=3

" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: my new DIY topquilt is done!

Post by sarge » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Nice.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks Sarge. The idea for the kam snaps came from your Costco no sew underquilt. Man I love those things now. I'm running around trying to figure out what to use 'em on. I'm thinking my pluq may become a light weight summer top quilt next. The suggestions and advice that you and others offere made this build much easier.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Flatliner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Very nicely done. Those snaps sure are handy, aren't they!
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:23 pm

kev137 wrote:Thanks Sarge. The idea for the kam snaps came from your Costco no sew underquilt. Man I love those things now. I'm running around trying to figure out what to use 'em on. I'm thinking my pluq may become a light weight summer top quilt next. The suggestions and advice that you and others offere made this build much easier.

The gateway drug into FIY snags another victim.

You can have these KamSnaps for free. The next ones are gonna cost you-----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Insulation”