pistal44
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

First overnight in LL Cayenne Pepper

Post by pistal44 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Got my Loco Libre Cayenne Pepper in the other day so I thought I would try it out tonight. I have my Costco underquilt for the cool weather but wanted something I didn't have to worry about when it really got cold. It's 80" long with there extra wide option. Apex 6.0. It even makes the hammock more comfortable. Feels like adding a soft mattress topper to a hard bed. I have another one ordered for my son. My parents have a ranch in the Texas panhandle, part of the Pala Duro Canyons that we go to every Christmas. Last 2 trips got in the single digits at night with white out conditions. Maybe I can incorporate some Costco throws to boost these a little or get a summer quilt some time and stack them. This is my first real underquilt so I'm no where near an expert but I'm loving these. Looks to be great quality and simple to get adjusted.

georgecarr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: First overnight in LL Cayenne Pepper

Post by georgecarr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Looking good! For best performance make sure to tuck in those draft collars. I'd be interested to hear how you fair in colder weather stacking quilts, since the 6.0 is only designed to go to about 25° or so.

pistal44
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by pistal44 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks. It only got down to about 60 last night so I left the ends loose to vent a little. Slept great and glad I bought it. 95% of the time the apex 6 should be plenty warm for me around Houston. I just can't backyard test stacking quilts down that low around here very often if at all. I'll just have to take extra with me to the panhandle and hope It works.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Pretty dang good lookin quilt. I like my winter tarps long and wide, too. its like a warm uhg from your mama.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

pistal44
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by pistal44 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks Sarge. Tarp will have to wait, spent my extra funds on my sons and my underquilt. I have a kelty Noah 12 that I've seen some guys arrange it with doors somehow. I need to get it out and try it. I did get a Dutchware winter sock. They say it adds about 10 degrees. If that's true than maybe just stacking with the Costco underquilt will do it. Looking forward to the testing.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Dang. Got tarps on my mind (got a new Winter Dream this weekend).

I meant to say winter underquilts.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

pistal44
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by pistal44 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:00 pm

I gotcha. I get the same way with a new "toy".
I'm 6'2", 230#. I wanted a underquilt I didn't have to get just right to get warm, just crawl in and get cozy.

pistal44
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by pistal44 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:53 am

Well I got to try my new underquilt in some cold weather. I got a call that no one wants to get at 2am from my stepdad the Thursday before Thanksgiving. Mom left this earth to join the big man in the sky. I stopped halfway to the panhandle at my land in north central Texas and hung my hammock for the night. Using my Dutchware wide 11' hammock, LL wide Cayenne Pepper underquilt and a military sleep system black cold weather bag as a topquilt. It got down to 32 degrees and I was to lazy to dig out warmer sleep cloths so I just slept in my boxers, no shirt or socks on. The only place that got cool was right at my shoulder blades. I adjusted but couldn't get the touch of cool to go away. I'm sure even just a t-shirt would have fixed that issue but once I settled down I slept good so it wasn't a big deal. Slept in that same setup for all last week in the insulated feed barn on top of part of the Pala Duro canyons last week and slept great but had a electric heater set at 40 degrees so I didn't test out any more cold on this trip. So if the Cayenne Pepper underquilt took me to freezing in just my boxers I'm confident that dressed for cold weather sleeping I can make it close to the 25 degree rating Loco Libre gives it. Everybody kept trying to get me to go sleep on a inflatable air bed in the house or in a extra travel trailer there. My setup was a whole lot more comfortable and I never got up with a stiff or sore back. My 8 year old son has a shorter Cayenne Pepper underquilt that has been ship and he is all exited to try it out.

Return to “Insulation”