sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Fantastic video on Hammock Insulation

Post by sarge » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Whenever someone subscribes to my channel, I check theirs out and if it looks like they're trying to put out good content, I subscribe. About two minutes into this video, I hit the subscribe button. Great illustration of how underquilts are the most effective means of insulating your self in a hammock.

What we're seeing here is heat retention inside the hammock and insulation. This is why the SP Temps are higher in the "no to little insulation" shots than they are with the UQs, while Bunny shows up as being hotter and hotter as more insulation is applied. I'm posting this in the "Dang Good Links" section as well as here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0pvZaAjayM

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Fantastic video on Hammock Insulation

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:48 pm

I'll go back and watch it again to see what I might be missing. But, though the concept is excellent, I see a lot of possible problems with the implementation.

First, is he measuring from underneath? I get the impression these temps are being taken more from the sides thn directly underneath. I which case either pad is going to have very little if any effect, compared to a quilt that is wrapping around the sides.

I also am going to have to go back and write down the temps recorded, as it is hard for me to remember what the previous were reading by the time I get to the 0F UQ.

Next, is that REI pad an insulated pad? If so, many of us know from field experience that it should do a fine job of insulating, especially compared to the 40F UQ. It should easily match that. Some folks have taken closed cell foam pads way below zero and been warm, others have been cold in an UQ and then been saved by using a pad they had along for emergency or ground/snow seats.

Any way, great fun to watch, and potentially very useful. How much did the 40F UQ beat the pad? I'll go back and watch and write down results later(no time now), but I seriously doubt a thick insulated pad will be beat by a 40F UQ, especially in the wind, as the pad would be very wind resistant compared to a down UQ. Also, seems like the wind was blowing harder for the pad test? Or maybe not.

Thx for the link!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:48 pm

What I got out of it was the increasing heat signature. At the beginning, all we see is Bunny's body but as we add insulation, we get the heat showing up in the insulation.

The problem with getting any kind of reading from below on the reflectix is that it reflects heat away from itself, which likely would show up as a cold spot.

The "SP" readings for each system went down with the increase in insulation, so I'm taking that as an external temperature reading, which goes down with the increased effectiveness of the insulation (it would be warmer next to the body, then diminish the further you get away from it). It might be a more accurate test if he used and electronic recording thermometer inside the hammock and got that temp as well as one from the FLIR.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

FatherGoat
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Tarp: HG Cuben w/Doors
Suspension: Kevlar + Mule Tape
Insulation: HG UQ and TQ

Post by FatherGoat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 am

You're both correct.

The parameters for this little experiment were put together rather quickly as, honestly, I was pretty excited to play with the thermal camera.

Once the weather gets cold again (I live in Maine, shouldn't be too long now) we're going to re-run the test with a few suggestions I've received. I posted the video on Reddit also and received quite a bit of good feedback.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hammockcamping ... al_camera/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hammocks/comme ... al_camera/

There's a link in the video description to a PDF which has all of the temperature normalized thermal images seen in the video.
http://goo.gl/awWveY

The two biggest suggestions were to take thermal imaging from below the hammock so as to remove bias towards the underquilts which wrap up the sides of the hammock. This'll offer a more 1:1 comparison on true under insulation.

Second was as you mentioned, billybob, to put a temperature probe in the hammock with Foo to get some temp readings. This will be helpful in quantifying his perceived comfort ratings and it'll give me a joke I can toss around a few times. "We're gonna put Foo and the probe in the hammock together... you know... for science."

It's still probably a couple months off before I can get some reasonably chilly daytime temps to film again. If you've got any other suggestions send 'em my way.

Happy Trails,
FG

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:28 am

Well, kudos to to ya. I don't recall anyone using a thermal camera to show the effects of various insulation methods.
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:42 pm

This is a very cool experiment. But I would have to agree with what has been said about pads working better than the rest seemed to show.

I'll definitely be subscribing to see the updated test. It would be very cool to see some combinations like is a thin pad+40*. Is it better than a 30* UQ alone? Or something like the Hennessy system with space blanket- people always argue over wether it works or not.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:39 pm

sarge wrote:Well, kudos to to ya. I don't recall anyone using a thermal camera to show the effects of various insulation methods.
Ditto. This approach has great potential! I look forward to any further testing!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Return to “Insulation”