KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Tapered Top Quilts

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Noob question of the day...why are some top quilts tapered? I have seen some that get skinny towards the footbox and some that have angled sides. By angled sides, I mean the long side that goes up towards the top of your torso. Hopefully my question makes sense.

I'm going to make a top quilt out of the Costco down throw. Am I going to be OK if I just fold the bottoms over, sew in a footbox on the end and then come up 20" or so?

I guess it's hard to explain what I'm trying to ask about the whole 'taper' thing. Hopefully it makes enough sense to someone who can answer my rambling, convoluted question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In vino veritas.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Tapered Top Quilts

Post by Scuba » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:25 pm

Tapering just reduces the weight of the TQ generally. For people who dont mind a smaller foot end, this is a good way to go. I personally never get my quilts tapered, i like to have room to move my feet aroud.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Coolerking
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Coolerking » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:21 pm

I am going to be making my own very soon and I am contemplating not to taper it to give me a bit of flexibility with it!

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:57 pm

So it sounds mostly like a personal preference thing. Good. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something major.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In vino veritas.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:54 am

One more vote for a non-tapered footbox here. In addition to plenty of movement space, I like the idea of being able to open my TQ and have a full rectangular throw for cool, but not cold temps where a bit of venting helps control overheating.

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:09 am

Got my Costco TQ done. I did mine a bit differently than most I've seen.

Here's how most are done. Fold the quilt in half and then sew the side seam up to about 20-25" up from the foot end. THEN lay the now sewn quilt flat with the sewn seam in the middle and on the top. Then sew the foot end closed.

I folded mine in half and sewed the side seam up about 20" or so. THEN, instead of moving that seam to the middle, I left my seam on the side. Then I sewed the foot end closed.

Small difference I know, but here's why. With the other design, when I had the quilt on, I found that I kind of had to splay my ankles to the side so my toes were pointing out when I laid down because I didn't feel there was much vertical room for my feet and toes. When I lay in mine, I can lay with my toes in the more natural 'pointing up' position. I will try to load a picture tonight if I get a chance. Might make more sense.

In vino veritas.

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Post by ADVStrom14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:49 am

KINGLONESTAR wrote:Got my Costco TQ done. I did mine a bit differently than most I've seen.

Here's how most are done. Fold the quilt in half and then sew the side seam up to about 20-25" up from the foot end. THEN lay the now sewn quilt flat with the sewn seam in the middle and on the top. Then sew the foot end closed.

I folded mine in half and sewed the side seam up about 20" or so. THEN, instead of moving that seam to the middle, I left my seam on the side. Then I sewed the foot end closed.

Small difference I know, but here's why. With the other design, when I had the quilt on, I found that I kind of had to splay my ankles to the side so my toes were pointing out when I laid down because I didn't feel there was much vertical room for my feet and toes. When I lay in mine, I can lay with my toes in the more natural 'pointing up' position. I will try to load a picture tonight if I get a chance. Might make more sense.

The lack of toe room makes sense to be so I'm trying to visualize what you did. After you sewed the bottom of the foot box closed, you still then turned the side seam to the back which causes the foot box seam to then me basically running parallel to your feet (as in sky to ground) instead of perpendicular to your feet (as in side to side)???? I can see where that would open up a lot of room for the foot box.
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:08 pm

He's basically built it like a rectuangular sleeping bag with the end sewn shut and stitching up the sides about 20". I do mine the "meet in the middle and sew the foot end closed" method. The great thing about MYOG is that you can make things that fit your own style. When I lay on my back, my toes go out at about a 45 degree angle and not straight up, and the method I use accomodates that. Shaped foot boxes like the big boy quilt makers do accomodate both toe pointing types.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

KINGLONESTAR
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by KINGLONESTAR » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:44 pm

ADVStrom14 wrote:
KINGLONESTAR wrote:Got my Costco TQ done. I did mine a bit differently than most I've seen.

The lack of toe room makes sense to be so I'm trying to visualize what you did. After you sewed the bottom of the foot box closed, you still then turned the side seam to the back which causes the foot box seam to then me basically running parallel to your feet (as in sky to ground) instead of perpendicular to your feet (as in side to side)???? I can see where that would open up a lot of room for the foot box.
That's exackery what I did...

In vino veritas.

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:31 pm

KINGLONESTAR wrote: That's exackery what I did...
Well that's what I did tonight and it turned out pretty good. I actually mitered the corners slightly too to help give it a little more structure and hopefully help keep it lined up the way it is supposed to be because I noticed that it seems to want to "drift" a little to one side. Can't wait to try out the TQs I've made over the last couple days!!!
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:34 pm

That's the best part of MYOG---trying it out to see if it works. Its always a thrill to find out you made a thing and it does what its supposed to do.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:58 am

sarge wrote:That's the best part of MYOG---trying it out to see if it works. Its always a thrill to find out you made a thing and it does what its supposed to do.
Yes. It is also a level of confidence in that you know you can also modify something you bought to better fit your specific needs. Also a can of worms but I digress. :D

Return to “Insulation”