Underquilt Width

Reactions:

Underquilt Width

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Been at it for almost ten years now and about to give this underquilt thing a try. Have enough materials to make a down quilt if a dish out 25bucks for fabric.

One thing I can't really follow is that I have used a 26 inch pad under me with my quilt over me and around my shoulders just fine.... However, with underquilts no one seems to go under 40in width and some even feel that is too narrow. Curious as to why this is?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Underquilt Width

Post by sarge » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:14 pm

I would guess that its personal preference, some of it based on weight. I like my UQs to be wide enough that I can't see over the edges when I'm laying in them.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Not sure why tapatalk is posting as "guest".... strange....

I'm sure that plays into the decision. I've just heard some rather experienced folks say that they find anything under 42 inches unusable, and a general consensus for a gathered end seems to be that it must be at least 40 MAYBE 38. Bridge hammocks people go less maybe around 36. Just wondering if anyone uses something like 36 width successfully in a gathered end. I plan on playing around with some blankets or fabric, hopefully this weekend, to see what kind of coverage I am getting with different dimensions.

I just don't see much benefit of it going up over the sides since they probably wont be touching your sides or even the sides of your top quilt, seems like a waste. Some extra argon and down might be a better sacrifice than adding extra shock cord and suspension lines, though, if the purpose is to help with a good fit. I just haven't followed the underquilt trends at all.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Mophead wrote: I just don't see much benefit of it going up over the sides since they probably wont be touching your sides or even the sides of your top quilt, seems like a waste. Some extra argon and down might be a better sacrifice than adding extra shock cord and suspension lines, though, if the purpose is to help with a good fit. I just haven't followed the underquilt trends at all.
My thinking on that one is to create a "still space" around me to limit air movement and providing a doubling up of insulation at my shoulders ahould the TQ come loose and keeping my feet from going outside the insulated space.

I'm probably being paranoid on that, but I moved from NH to TX b/c I hate the cold----
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:11 pm

Mophead wrote:Not sure why tapatalk is posting as "guest".... strange....

I'm sure that plays into the decision. I've just heard some rather experienced folks say that they find anything under 42 inches unusable, and a general consensus for a gathered end seems to be that it must be at least 40 MAYBE 38. Bridge hammocks people go less maybe around 36. Just wondering if anyone uses something like 36 width successfully in a gathered end. I plan on playing around with some blankets or fabric, hopefully this weekend, to see what kind of coverage I am getting with different dimensions.

I just don't see much benefit of it going up over the sides since they probably wont be touching your sides or even the sides of your top quilt, seems like a waste. Some de enough for deextra argon and down might be a better sacrifice than adding extra shock cord and suspension lines, though, if the purpose is to help with a good fit. I just haven't followed the underquilt trends at all.
No, I think my smallest UQ is my Yeti, at about 40" wide. However, the compressible OCF contoured pad in my HH Super Shelter #2 ( the larger one) is only 36" wide, and I have never needed it to be even an inch wider. The HHSS #1 for the smaller Expedition hammocks has a pad only 29" wide, and I suspect it would be wide enough for my wide shoulders. Most of the extra width of my #2 pad is wasted. When I am layng diagonal, the left side of the pad is just to the left side of my left shoulder by an inch or so, while the right side of the pad is no where near my right shoulder, but may inches away from my right shoulder, doing nothing. It is on the outside of the right side of my hammock, which is not in contact with my right shoulder. I feel like the smaller pad would still adequately cover my right shoulder, probably. These pads curve around the shoulders. I see no reason why an UQ of this size would not do the same. But, I do not know for sure.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:40 am

Yeah the yeti and hammock gear Pheonix I think are 40" wide and the most narrow I could find being offered by a vendor. But you are also hard pressed to find a cottage vendor that makes a hammock tarp with less than an 11ft ridgeline.

You will surely get SOME of the underquilt coming up around your shoulders and probably even doubling your coverage once in contact outside your top quilt. I suppose my real question is... does it really take a min. of 40 inches on an UQ to achieve that? Because it can be achieved with a pad that is much smaller.

It seems like it may be due to the diagonal lay. From what I've gathered it is hard to make your UQ follow our diagonal lay perfectly. Partial length UQ I hear are better about it, which might explain why the yeti and Pheonix are smaller than most. And why bridge hammocks can be narrower. The goal seems to be to cover a certain amount of hammock width, not just cover your sweet spot.

I am going to look for that cat splat spreadsheet and play with some differentials to see what I come up with. Thanks for all the input so far!

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:57 pm

I believe you're right about the diagonal lay. You can turn a pad to follow your body, an underquilt will be more likely to stay in line with the hammock. You need the UQ to be wide enough to come up part where the hammock presses against your shoulders. Sure you can tuck your topquilt down farther, but anywhere the hammock compresses the TQ against you it does no good. For my 2 cents, I've made all mine between 40 and 42" with good results. I feel like anything less might work, but also might leave you waking up to readjust your UQ. There won't be any leeway if it shifts a bit during the night.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Return to “Insulation”