Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Hi all

Post by Calait » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Doing research into a new sleeping system, at nearly 60 I love the outdoors however the ground sleeping is killing my outdoor time. What is your favorite cheap hammock and how best do I spend my outdoor budget. I am 5'6" and roughly 170 pounds, sleep mainly on my left side. I do have a camping pad from Walmart and a 3 season sleeping bag. Any suggestions would be appreciated :D . Living in Central Texas I need to be covered to the mid 20s Fahrenheit to roughly 90 (or higher) during the summer.

Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Hi all

Post by HammockMama » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:39 pm

I'm a Hennessy fan. Started with one and immediately bought another for a loaner because I knew if my friends or family tried mine, I'd only get them out by offering a loaner hammock. The fascination progressed to helping show them, acquiring a collection, and becoming friends with the owner. If you car camp vs backpack and don't need to go for compact, consider a used Hennessy Expedition for economy. If you want to go more compact and lighter, consider Hennessy Asym Backpacker or Hyperlight. For summer, I prefer the bottom or classic entry. It allows for a quicker escape from mosquitoes, etc., and I get in and out under the center of the tarp instead of the edge. This is helpful when it rains, which is pretty common in warm weather. The side entry is nice in winter if one wishes to sleep on top of a pad. PM me if you wish to discuss buying one from my collection.

Calait
Reactions:
Tarp:
Suspension:

Post by Calait » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Dat is my problem, I am very new to hammock thinking, classic entry vs side entry or top entry I am very unsure, can only state how I normally sleep in bed. Then I know how uncomfortable I am on the ground. :(

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 pm

The best advice I can give is this:

Spend the least amount of money on the hammock itself. Next highest amount should be on a tarp. The most money should be spent on insulation.

Get a copy of "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen and read it cover to cover before spending any money. Watch Shug Emory's YouTube series on hammocks. Attend a Group Hang, and don't be afraid to ask for loaner gear for your first one---you'll find more than enough folks who are more than willing to loan you the gear you need for a weekend. Look at what everybody is using, ask questions, listen to the gear gossip around the campfire.

Hiker's Thanksgiving is a good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=404
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Welcome! One of the mods on here by the name of Sarge has some great videos for getting outdoors on the cheap. Check out DreamHammocks Free bird for a quality entry-level hammock that will be better than anything you can buy local for the same price, and it is custom made for you! A DIY pluq (Poncho Liner Under Quilt) will get you far.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Flynguy521
Reactions:

Post by Flynguy521 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Ha! Sarge beat me to the post!

^what he said!

Hammock Trip Map

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:33 am

Welcome, Sir,

And welcome back into the woods! I have the same issue, I won't sleep on the ground again if I can help it. It's a top/side entry for me, I like to sit on the edge, and just rock back a bit then stand up. Easier than getting out of my regular bed!

+1 on the suggestions, you'll get good ideas here. You can make a tablecloth hammock pretty simply with just material, knots, and suspension.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:49 am

Welcome from lost pines (or what's left of them) central Texas.

I was in your shoes 6 months ago. Here is my current setup and suggestions for what they are worth:

Overall I do things as much diy, repurpose, cheap as I can. Ground camping I had a cheap tent, cheap pad, basic sleeping bag, I got by. Hammocks for me are coming in a bit more expensive, but worth it to get off the ground.

Tablecloth hammock - if you sew, it works great. If you don't, one of the netless versions from Dream-hammocks, Dutch, etc. would be my suggestion.

Suspension - I have harbor freight yellow straps. $4. I have caribiners to the trees $10. I have Multibuckle from dreamhammock for tri-glides. My son is updating his setup with cinchbuckles instead of multibuckle. same price, similar function.

Tarp. Tried to DIY water proof a fly I had, did not work for me. I am currently using a cheap poly tarp. $8 harbor freight. A better tarp is in my future.

Under-insulation I am working on a jungle blanket conversion. If doing it again (and I might), I would spring for the snugpak under blanket. I am cheap, but after all my fiddling, and trying to do it the cheap way, the $50-$60 for the underblanket looks like a great value. I spent nearly that and I don't quite have it dialed in yet. Even DIY from scratch would be at least half that, and a pad just did not work for me. If more funds are available, many cottage vendors have very nice gear.

top insulation - sleeping bags of various temp ratings depending on weather.

Bug net, DIY Fronkey style net. Dutch sells them for $55 I think. (depending on backpacking, car camping, etc, the bug net was a bigger priority than the tarp for me. If spending money on them and I had to choose, I would go with the bug net from Dutch and a cheap poly tarp to start.)

good luck.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Welcome to Hammock Hangers. There are many very good solutions that may work just fine for you. Be sure to watch some videos as well by Sarge and Shugemery and others I like the ones by Warbonnet Outdoors even if you never buy any of his products which are fairly expensive and not really necessary. A pad is fine insulation for most weather in Texas I have used a self inflating pad down to about 28F in Oklahoma (Kiamichi River Trip) in January and was very comfortable. May work below that but long term an under quilt either DIY or purchased is just easier and more compact (synthetic or goose down if you need it to be super compact for long distance backpacking which most people don't).

Shugemery as many good (somewhat silly) videos one is about using a ground pad and sleeping bag in a hammock be sure to watch it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWs6UH7C74

Many good manuf. of hammocks probably best to get one with bug net integrated because there are a lot of mosquitos in Texas but I also like a hammock without and then just use a fan to keep them off me when temp is well over 90 in day and does not drop below 80F at night. This may not work for some people but the bug net just traps in more heat and humidity which I don't want. I grew up in the Amazon jungle and learned how to deal with it, many showers, battery powered fans, bug repellants, fabric covering skin etc. perhaps not eating refined carbs helps not sure but I don't, instead I mostly eat veg, fruits, nuts and meat. But when they are hungry mosquitos will go to great lengths to find a way to suck the blood out of any living thing that is not a plant or fungus.

So: Dream Hammocks (very good IMO), Warbonnets good but expensive, SimplyLightDesign, Hammeck, DutchWareGear, Yukon (OK but very cheap, not great quality), Grand Trunk (OK but fairly poor quality, OK starter hammock). Many others should be OK. You are not super tall so a short hammock like 9'4" ENO DN may be OK but for that price others listed above at 10-11 feet will be much more comfortable. Pay a little more get a much better hammock, or you may just end out paying more later... some folks buy a ENO and never anything else ever again but they are the exception not the rule, probably not folks who camp very often.

Same thing with tarp. Good ones from SimplyLightDesign, Warbonnet, and many others. However I have used just a simple $5-15 plastic tarp from Harbor Freight, Walmart or Hardware store and they work just fine as long as there is not a strong wind that may tear it apart. Good thing about this is you can leave it up while you pack hammock and UQ go fishing or whatever not worry someone will steal your $200 tarp. This is the primary reason I still occasionally use a cheap plastic tarp. I own several tarps and many hammocks, been hammock camping for over 40 years. My first true camping hammock was from an Army Surplus story my Father bought in the 1960s, but mostly I just slept in cotton Brazilian hammocks with add on mosquitos nets under palm leaf huts with no walls, it works just fine, a few leaks, snakes, the sound of jaguars to go to sleep by but all is good as long as they appear to be a km or more away... I did hear a puma/cougar about 30 yards away once on the Sabine river in East Texas, that was fun! It was just passing through no chance for a photo, many times wild hogs came by very close. They spook very easily and run off however. Good times, enjoy your hammock hanging you will be sure to see more wildlife than from a tent or RV!

Calait
Reactions:
Tarp:
Suspension:

Post by Calait » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:32 pm

sarge wrote:The best advice I can give is this:

Spend the least amount of money on the hammock itself. Next highest amount should be on a tarp. The most money should be spent on insulation.

Get a copy of "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen and read it cover to cover before spending any money. Watch Shug Emory's YouTube series on hammocks. Attend a Group Hang, and don't be afraid to ask for loaner gear for your first one---you'll find more than enough folks who are more than willing to loan you the gear you need for a weekend. Look at what everybody is using, ask questions, listen to the gear gossip around the campfire.

Hiker's Thanksgiving is a good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=404
Currently I have watched most of Shug's stuff. I have read way too many stating Derek Hansen's book is way over priced, and looking for a more local group hang. At this point I am considering an ENO hammock for cheap hammock, bug netting and double hammock sheeting to hold ground pads. As my trips move into colder weather I will be looking for the under quit that supports the weather in my area.
Last edited by Calait on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flynguy521
Reactions:

Post by Flynguy521 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Next group hang in Texas is the Winter Butt Hang near Austin! Try and make it to that if you can. Bring your set up and people will help you fine tune and loan you what you don't have.

My first group hang was the winter butt hang last year and HikeHunter let me borrow his DIY UQ after I had tested my DIY PLUQ. It gave me a sense of what I could get by with and what I could fall in love with.

There is plenty to see and always someone willing to help.

Hammock Trip Map

Oldbiker
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Oldbiker » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:18 am

I was almost 60 when I got into hammocks after tent camping all my life. Started with a Hennessee Explorer Delux Zip. Started with it because it was a complete kit. Love it but also discovered I like no net hammocks also. Now I have a collection & still don't have the "perfect hammock". I find different ones great for different occasions. The HHED is my favorite with bug net & a 11' Dutch is my favorite without net.

If buying separate components other than a kit a lot of things factor in. Car camping verses hiking. Good equipment is relatively inexpensive but good light equipment is very expensive.

On hammock you have to determine length, net or no net, single layer or double layer, types of material ect. Tarps you consider size, which cut, type of material, weave, what kind of coating ect. Insulation there is down or synthetic, half, three quarter or full, what temp rating 0° 20° 40° ect. If hiking then weight must be considered on all components.

Confusing? It was for me & why I bought a kit to get me hanging immediately without a lot of decisions. This gave me time to research what I wanted/needed to have the most enjoyable hang. I motorcycle camp so weight wasn't a huge factor but physical size was.

I bought Derek Hansen' s book hardcopy for around $12 which saved me hours & hours of research to give me an accelerated start on my knowledge of hammocks. I have seen it for under $10 in digital form. If you already have a decent knowledge of hanging & all its entities then it is to high but if your seeking knowledge of the smaller things such as best places for wind blocks, ventilation & a plethora of smaller stuff, then it's a bargain. It introduces you to most all your options available for hanging.

If buying a setup in pieces you can wind up with more in it than a kit would cost. If you buy a kit you will more than likely replace it a piece at a time but with a whole lot more knowledge of your needs/wants.

As from O Brother Where art Thow, Come on in. The water is fine.

Robert

tonydc
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by tonydc » Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Just like you I am considering buying my hammock for outdoor here https://www.hammockdream.com/shop/hammo ... out-stand/. Actually someone adviced to go for a good tarp and they have one here https://www.hammockdream.com/shop/hammock-accessories/ - it would be great (just easier) to buy from the same store. Does that tarp look fine? Or what are the requirements one should have?

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Calait wrote:Doing research into a new sleeping system, at nearly 60 I love the outdoors however the ground sleeping is killing my outdoor time. What is your favorite cheap hammock and how best do I spend my outdoor budget. I am 5'6" and roughly 170 pounds, sleep mainly on my left side. I do have a camping pad from Walmart and a 3 season sleeping bag. Any suggestions would be appreciated :D . Living in Central Texas I need to be covered to the mid 20s Fahrenheit to roughly 90 (or higher) during the summer.
Hi Calait, and welcome!

I like what Sarge says about how to divide up your money. There are any number of cheaper hammocks ( and of course the DIY option if you swing that way) that are still quite comfortable. For me, my cheapest hammock is also about my most comfy all around, a Claytor No Net. In fact, I was just hanging in my 8+ year old one today, still one of the best I've got, possibly the best(hard to choose between several of my more expensive ones) It cost $40 but shipping is $15, or $30 on some of their more expensive models like the Jungle Hammock which includes net and tarp. The No Net includes neither. I think they all are roughly the same comfort. They also have an Expedition model for $95+20 shipping which includes netting, but I don't think it includes a tarp, not sure.
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I can not advise you on the American brand hammocks that are cheaper as the ones I have which equal this one in comfort are more expensive, maybe a lot. But others will probably be able to advise you which other hammocks are both cheap and good. But the advantag to going cheap is in case you change your mind and decide you don't like it, you are not out much. Also, no matter how much you pay for the hammock, it may have certain quirks that you won't like, such as something called calf ridge/pressure . This can be a big problem, some hammocks seem to have it worse than others and some hangers seem to suffer with it worse than others. In fact, this problem has been known to drive some folks to something called a bridge hammock. But I don't know of any cheap bridge hammocks( I am a big fan of this type BTW, even though my Claytor is competitive with all hammock types). But point is, if you are going to have some of these problems, and get involved with how to solve them, it is probably better to start o the low $ end.

Speaking of cheap hammocks, any one her used any of these $13.99 or other Grand Trunks:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... Collection

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/_ ... _view=list
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Hi all

Post by Mophead » Fri May 05, 2017 12:59 pm

If you are willing to make some of your own gear a cheap sewing machine will pretty much pay for itself several times over.

Rather than buying new check out the buy/selling sections of this and other hammock forums. Also check out https://lwhiker.com.

If you have an idea of what you are looking for you can create a thread stating you "want to buy a..." And try to get a bit of a discount.

There are a number of companies now making ENO style hammocks for around $20.00. That's about 1/3 what I paid for my ENO years ago. Look on eBay and Amazon for "single" or "double" camping hammocks.

Edit: I would second what sarge said about spending less on the hammock. There are a lot of vendors making nice stuff, but in my opinion it doesn't perform 5-10x better than juat about any rectangular piece of fabric with $5 of bug netting draped over it. Save your money for tarps and insulation.

Return to “Howdy!”