Its not the government's job to tell us how to live

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss your Politics. Post political memes and quotations, and discuss your Political beliefs. If you don't want to see Politics being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. Discussion should always be respectful of the people here and thier beliefs. Discussions will be respectful. We recognize that political discussions can sometimes become incendiary and we will step in from time to time if it does in order to cool things down. Posts that use terms and descriptions of others such as "Wing Nuts", "Libtards", "Rethuglicans", DemocRATS", and others of a demeaning nature will be deleted. Keep discussions on point, centered on facts, and based on the principal that two individuals can come to different conclusions based on the same information and can disagree, but discuss those disagreements in an agreeable manner. Please contribute to the discussion, not try to tear down an individual because he disagrees with you. Make you comments be on the post, and not the person posting.
GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Its not the government's job to tell us how to live

Post by GregD » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:10 pm

BillyBob66 wrote:I think I'm ready just for some hammock and camping discussion for a while.
How about some hammock camping too?

I'm fix'n to try a poncho-tarp with a bivy. Its been too hot for me for a while, I hope to start getting out soon. Not sure where to go so I don't get shot by deer hunters.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:43 pm

GregD wrote:
BillyBob66 wrote:I think I'm ready just for some hammock and camping discussion for a while.

I'm fix'n to try a poncho-tarp with a bivy. Its been too hot for me for a while, I hope to start getting out soon. Not sure where to go so I don't get shot by deer hunters.

Facts are strange things.

They can show us what fears are logical and those that are overblown or affected by personal bias.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/lear ... education/

In 1966, 644,653 hunting licences were sold. There were 81 hunting accidents, 28 of which were fatal.

In 2015, 1,180,638 hunting licences were sold. There were 20 hunting accidents, 2 of which were fatal.

Of the two fatal accidents, one was during a pheasant hunt, the other was when the hunter shot herself while in a deer blind.

In the last 15 years, the only fatalities sustained during hunting season were hunters themselves, most of them in the parking area due to improper handling of thier own weapon, i.e. putting it into or taking it out of the car while the weapon is loaded.

The overwhelming number of shooting accidents, and the overwhelming number of fatalities occur while hunting birds.

Ask the guy who went dove hunting with Dick Cheney how that works.

Fear of being shot by a deer hunter is unrealistic and not representative of facts.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:01 pm

sarge wrote:Fear of being shot by a deer hunter is unrealistic and not representative of facts.
Good to know.
The other issue, though, is that the areas designated for camping during deer season that I have seen are not so appealing to me.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:07 pm

GregD wrote:
sarge wrote:Fear of being shot by a deer hunter is unrealistic and not representative of facts.
Good to know.
The other issue, though, is that the areas designated for camping during deer season that I have seen are not so appealing to me.
The ones that are off the main road are generally only populated by backpackers, and very few of them. I prefer camping during deer season because the campsites are never crowded.

Parking Lot #8 and Kelly Pond are those that should be avoided, but anyplace that is too far to carry a cooler full of beer is going to be primo.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:23 pm

sarge wrote:I prefer camping during deer season because the campsites are never crowded. ...anyplace that is too far to carry a cooler full of beer is going to be primo.
Guns and coolers of beer. What could go wrong?

Good to know though. Thanks.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:51 pm

GregD wrote:
sarge wrote:I prefer camping during deer season because the campsites are never crowded. ...anyplace that is too far to carry a cooler full of beer is going to be primo.

Based on the facts, very little.
My You Tube Channel

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:56 pm

sarge wrote:
GregD wrote:

Based on the facts, very little.
The facts indicate that quite a bit can go wrong - injury or death - but that the probability is quite low. Then there are the risks of snake bite, zika, west Nile, infectious tic bites, getting gored by pigs, and getting run down crossing the roads. Not to mention medical emergency.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Well, the facts indicate that you're in much greater danger from people with coolers full of beer on a beach or a boat than you are with a group of people with guns.
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:32 pm

GregD wrote:

I'm with you on that, Bro! I have not done any actual camping of any kind for the last couple of years. Fighting Prostate cancer was part of my excuse, but it was a poor one really, I should have been out there anyway. But my mojo seemed to not be there. (and, BTW, I am doing great - at least for now- with a very good prognosis). But also there was another much bigger tragedy in the family just a few months after my diagnosis with PCa, our 40 year old daughter in law, our son's wife and mother of our grandkids( 15 and 12 years old now 2 years later) taken in 6 months from diagnosis with evil Mesothelioma. From all seems normal to killed by cancer in 6 months time, at a young age. All of that has sort of thrown things into disarray around here, at least that has been my excuse. But, it has been 2.5 years(just got my 2.5 year report(every 6 months), still undetectable so far) and time to get going.

Although, I have not given up on day hiking often accompanied by a hang in the woods before hiking back. And taking my grandkids and teaching them map and compass skills. I've done plenty of that. But even that has gone to heck this summer. I do not do hot, humid weather. No day hikes for about 2 months, only my 2 mile walks around the neighborhood, when I don't wimp out and cancel. But fall is approaching, come on fall, get in here!

Can't imagine being in a bivy in this hot weather! :o
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:53 pm

GregD wrote:
sarge wrote:Its a much more effective tool to "take your business elsewhere" than to punish business owners using the coercive force of government.
I agree with this part.
+100 - - Most people are good and will do the right thing when it comes to humanity. that is how the market will decide. And if we make the govt equal, and we cut corruption by businesses and politicians, much of the rest will take care of itself. Until white collar crime is prosecuted as intensely as poverty level crimes, nothing will change. As Sarge mentioned, almost all examples of failure have in them too much govt (or politician) involvement as the ones causing some of the harm.

Now - Hold my beer and watch me juggle these here guns... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:54 pm

And for hammock discussion I have a friend who has been reading about hammocks coming over this week so I can show him my setup and he can get started with his 10 year old son.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:40 pm

I want a hammock credit on my income tax.... I want to go to the mountains and/or woods with a free feel of knowing that the "man" will leave me be. I thought I had ownership of this great land.....
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

Return to “Politics”