Gary Johnson, the Liberal

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss your Politics. Post political memes and quotations, and discuss your Political beliefs. If you don't want to see Politics being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. Discussion should always be respectful of the people here and thier beliefs. Discussions will be respectful. We recognize that political discussions can sometimes become incendiary and we will step in from time to time if it does in order to cool things down. Posts that use terms and descriptions of others such as "Wing Nuts", "Libtards", "Rethuglicans", DemocRATS", and others of a demeaning nature will be deleted. Keep discussions on point, centered on facts, and based on the principal that two individuals can come to different conclusions based on the same information and can disagree, but discuss those disagreements in an agreeable manner. Please contribute to the discussion, not try to tear down an individual because he disagrees with you. Make you comments be on the post, and not the person posting.
BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Gary Johnson, the Liberal

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 am

Scuba wrote:I think the FEDERAL gov't should remember that the 10th Amendment of the Constitution SPECIFICALLY says that all rights NOT set forth in the Constitution are left to the individual states. I believe in a WEAK central gov't, and that we should be a Union of states, not a centralized gov't behemoth. Abraham Lincoln did more damage to this country than any other President in our history with the possible exception of FDR.
I know it is still there on paper, but didn't the idea of the 10th amendment pretty much disappear with the War Between the States? Wasn't the principle then pretty well established that if you don't do what the feds say, they will invade and slaughter you in a scorched earth style warfare? Not that I don't still long for what the 10th stood for, the rights of sovereign states. But I don't believe there have been any actual state rights since that time, for all practical purposes. If there were, the feds could not tell a teacher in a MS state school that she can not lead her class in prayer, or that she must allow the boys to use the girls locker rooms, and what they think about it be damned. They also could not tell insurance companies, or a business paying for some insurance, that they must pay for anything in particular, much less sex change surgery or abortion. Such a that would be between the one desiring to buy insurance and the one willing to sell them insurance.

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:55 am

I think that advocating a governing principal that was achieved by force of arms is not the best way of proclaiming Liberty was the result.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:02 am

To put a finer point on that last statement:

The proper way to change the Constitution is not by proclaiming portions of it null and void because you just killed 150,000 people who thought otherwise.

Makes for a very bad precedent.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:03 am

BillyBob66 wrote:I know it is still there on paper, but didn't the idea of the 10th amendment pretty much disappear with the War Between the States?
Its good to keep in mind that civil war is always one option for resolving differences. My preference is to find another way.

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Details - sort of. Taking things at face value is how I like to approach them.

I agree in states rights vs Federal rights. If Texas seceded, I might go with them.
I believe individuals can be LGBTCQ, Christian, Muslim, atheist, private drug use, etc, etc, etc.
I believe I have the right to discriminate as to whom I want to associate with in private and business matters. Let the market work it out.
Anything the government runs must be equal, things private people run do not.
Abortion is a sticky one. I believe it is a life, but for arguments sake, if it is legal, then if a pregnant woman is killed the person cannot be charged with killing a fetus. An unborn child cannot be a legal heir, etc. It is either a person or it is not. Too many people walk both sides of the fence depending on what day it is.
A person cannot harm another, and a person cannot be forced to help another.
Private property is private. Eminent domain only for govt building needs. i'm not a fan of HOA. If my property brings your value down, sorry. It's my property.
No one owes me anything, I don't owe anyone anything. Except to pay my share of roads, army, and police. But not 50% of my paycheck, over valued property taxes, and half my stuff when I die.
punishment or prohibition prior to harming someone is wrong.
ends don't justify means. If it can't be done above board, maybe is should not be done?
Govt cannot dictate morality or thought.
No one wins in war, but sometimes it is needed.
NO one can claim to be a victim because the person they picked a fight with kicked their ___. Criminals, teens at school, whatever.

A lot of this allows people to do things very much against how I live my life (drugs, abortion, etc), but I think they have the RIGHT to do it, but only if I have the rights listed above.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

dirtwheels
Reactions:
Hammock: SLD, Sheltowee, Amok
Tarp: UGQ, Spinn Edge
Suspension: HF Straps & Dynema
Insulation: Downy Goodness

Post by dirtwheels » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:03 am

Gary Johnson on immigration:

Illegal immigrant is an insulting term to Gary Johnson.

https://www.facebook.com/thenighttim3/v ... f=NEWSFEED

If breaking up families is such an abhorrent act that it negates punishment for the crime of entering our border illegally, why should family members be jailed for other crimes?

Return to “Politics”