setback for 2nd amendment...

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Guns, Shooting, Hunting and other Outdoor Sports that involve Firearms. If you don't want to see Guns and related subjects being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you telling people that Guns shouldn't be discussed or that they should be banned. We respect your right to do so, but discussions about Gun Control and Gun Rights belong in the "I don't like guns and I want to say so." Forum and will be moved there when made in the Guns Forum.
Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: setback for 2nd amendment...

Post by Scott » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:38 pm

GregD wrote:
sarge wrote:
Actually, I want to use the FBI crime statistics.

I can post them if you'd like.
Even if there are no problems with the data we won't agree on the analysis. In this, as in climate science, I consider neither of us particularly competent in the area and would prefer to defer to experts.
There were police leaders in Texas who fought the shall issue permitting, but have now gotten behind it as effective and shows statistically that those who get permits are FAR less likely to cause trouble. The shootouts at stoplights never materialized. The difference in a registry is I really don't think police are that much better at evaluating cause and effect than we are. And they have a vested interest in using any tool they can to enforce laws. The more controls they have the better for THEM, but maybe not for us. I am sure a lot of police chiefs would love to due away with search warrants, it would make their job easier. Just a thought.

Whether it is register guns, or any other control by the government over the people, it will make the people easier to control. The more choice and freedom the government can get people to willingly give up, the more control they have over them. Society MIGHT be safer, but at what cost?

I see two viable solutions to this whole debate. Eliminate all guns from society, or accept there are MILLIONS of guns around, with only a few hundred deaths by 'mass' shootings. Odds are pretty small you will be involved in one. And back to my other argument, until we discuss registering every bottle of beer with the same fervor, leave my guns alone. Alcohol causes just as many deaths as guns.

I am not looking to regulate either. From the CDC website:

CDC - http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
All firearm deaths
Number of deaths: 33,636
Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.6

Add in accidents or homocides caused by alcohol and the number goes up
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/alcohol.htm
Number of alcoholic liver disease deaths: 18,146
Number of alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides: 29,001

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:51 am

Scott wrote: There were police leaders in Texas who fought the shall issue permitting, but have now gotten behind it as effective and shows statistically that those who get permits are FAR less likely to cause trouble.
Yup. I wasn't an advocate of concealed carry but the experiment has been done and the results are that it has not caused any big problem.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:30 am

Yep;

It does seem that the strong suspicions of the Gun Control advocates about guns in public resulting in widespread bloodshed were a bit overwrought.

The experiment has been done on Universal Background checks, too. More than 50 years worth of data.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Guns”